Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hens stopped laying

Options
  • 08-10-2008 12:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

Hi guys,

I have a couple of hens at the back of the house, I keep them in a fairly big pen and they seem to be happy enough, the last couple of weeks they have stopped laying completely it started with one egg the odd day and then nothing. Also I'v noticed a lot of feathers about the place, mannly short ones from their backs, there are no visable signs of anything is getting in to have a go at them its a well sealed pen.

They were laying up until december last year

any ideas or info greatly appreciated

pajo :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

They are getting old!!! Time to get new ones! Our few hens probably last about a year/18months before they stop laying. We got 12 new ones in june, and from when they started laying, they have been giving 12 eggs a day nearly every day ever since!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 pajo65

I thought they would have lasted a bit longer than a year, the last lot we had were 2 yrs old and still laying when Mr Fox got them,

looks like chicken for dinner then,:D:D

thanks for reply

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Fud Duddy

No need to worry Pajo, this is quite normal, hens molt every year, maybe even twice a year, they'll be growing their new winter feathers. When they are molting the egg producting can go down to zero. We have a few hens that we keep organically and free range that are 5 years old and still laying every second day. Hope this helps and the hens can avoid the pot for a while yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 pajo65

Hey Fud Duddy,

Thanks for that,

it makes alot more sense that they would last a bit longer than a year to 18 mths, I have spoken to people that have hens and I think the average egg-laying life span is about 3 yrs, so yours are doing pretty well for 5 years,

my hens have layed a few egg since i posted so all is well.:D

thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I have 7 layers, during the peak of the egg production about 3 mths ago we were getting up to 7 eggs a day, now they are moulting we are getting maybe 2-3 per diem.
    It is just the time of year.
    The rooster has lost all his sickle tail feathers and a lot from his neck and looks miserable.
    But come the new year and when the days start lengthening all will be back to normal.
    Whe you think that wild birds will lay maybe 12 eggs a year, the amazing feat of a modern hybrid layer laying 320 per year is quite something.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Fud Duddy

Invested in the battery fench 5 years ago and have not lost a hen to a fox since. Happy hens provide good breakfasts and love the sound of the cock crow. Thinking of getting a few broilers for the oven. Anyone got any experience of broilers or is it there no difference in rearing?

Advertisement