Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

useless information: tyre sizes are deceptive

Options
  • 08-10-2008 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭

There's a Porsche parked in our car park ...massive wheels on that thing ...295/30/18.

Two cars down is my van with it's skinny cutting disks 195/80/14

Looking at both, I'm thinking that my tyres are actually bigger (in diameter). Sure, that can't be right ...

Checked here http://www.tyresave.co.uk/tyresize.html and yes, they are!

A full 5% or 34 mm.

now make of that what you want :D

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,115 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

They are bigger, but your steel wheels are also far heavier. The 14 in your size refers to the outside diameter of your wheel, not your wheel plus type.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Why do we not have pictures of said Porsche?

Do you mean that basically you have more rubber touching the ground at any one time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

80 profile are massive. Diameter of the tyre means nothing.
    Your tyres are 80% of 195mm in profile, added to 14". The Porsche's are 30% of 295mm in profile, plus 18".
    So 156mm times 2 plus 14" as opposed to 147mm times 2 plus 18".
    The real crime is that they use metric and imperial measurement systems in the one line!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Onkle wrote: »
    Do you mean that basically you have more rubber touching the ground at any one time?

No, definetly not. I'd say the Porsche tyres have two to three times as much contact area as mine. Mine are just taller, that's all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Onkle wrote: »
    Why do we not have pictures of said Porsche?

I think he means that if you placed the Porsche tyre on it's side on the ground, and his tyre on top, then his tyre would actually cover the Porsche's one. Overall outside and inside diameter on his is bigger and smaller respectively than the Porsche's one. Or if you burned both tyres on a bonfire his ones would cause more pollution than the Porsche's ones!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Biro wrote: »
    I Or if you burned both tyres on a bonfire his ones would cause more pollution than the Porsche's ones!

not so sure about that ...you forgot to factor in the width :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

Biro wrote: »
    The real crime is that they use metric and imperial measurement systems in the one line!

Wasn't there a move to metric wheels in the late 80s. I know jag fitted them at one point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

peasant wrote: »
    No, definetly not. I'd say the Porsche tyres have two to three times as much contact area as mine. Mine are just taller, that's all.

I was wondering that lol

<<<< in dumbass mode today

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Seperate

Check the size of these...(you can make it out - top right)...

1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

MarkR wrote: »
    They are bigger, but your steel wheels are also far heavier.
    I wouldn't be so sure about that at all, the Porsche wheels are far bigger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Anyone else think the subject line on this is a bit off? Should read "Useless information : If don't know how to read tire sizes, they could appear deceptive".

Not a dig at Peasant ... but ...

Advertisement