Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

That one

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Lil' Smiler

I can't see it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Can you perhaps post a transcript or something?

I can't get youtube video at work.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Yeah what's the phrase?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

seriously,. what the ****?
    can Ireland please pull it's head out of obamas nutsack for a few minutes to take a rational look at what's going on? I like obama, but I am disgusted by what I see here. Youi wouldn't get as much fawning and adoration if Jesus came back and he looked like sarah michelle gellar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

Mordeth wrote: »
    can Ireland please pull it's head out of obamas nutsack for a few minutes to take a rational look at what's going on? I like obama, but I am disgusted by what I see here. Youi wouldn't get as much fawning and adoration if Jesus came back and he looked like sarah michelle gellar.

Here, here

I am sick to the back teeth of all this Obama lovefest, both on this board and all over the media (Mary Wilson on RTE Drivetime is really beginning to p**s me off).

Can people stop sucking Obama's c**k please.

I too like Obama but I would love to see MCCain win this one just to p*ss of all the Obama lovers all over this board and in the media, it would be priceless.

Here, here

I am sick to the back teeth of all this Obama lovefest, both on this board and all over the media (Mary Wilson on RTE Drivetime is really beginning to p**s me off).

Can people stop sucking Obama's c**k please.

I too like Obama but I would love to see MCCain win this one just to p*ss of all the Obama lovers all over this board and in the media, it would be priceless.

While I agree with the sentiment, why did you post your views in this particular thread?

So far, one user has posted, and re-posted, a link to a video that three other posters (myself included) couldn't see... Seems odd to me...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

One of my friends was in NC during the summer and said the reason some people aren't voting for obama is that they hate his supporters so much.

Onion story!

http://www.theonion.com/content/news_briefs/parents_of_obama_volunteer

also:

http://www.theonion.com/content/video/gunman_kills_15_potential_voters

Otacon wrote: »
    While I agree with the sentiment, why did you post your views in this particular thread?

So far, one user has posted, and re-posted, a link to a video that three other posters (myself included) couldn't see... Seems odd to me...

In the OP's second post the link to the video works.

What McCain actually said is so innocuous that creating a thread and inferring the his is racist is just plain stupid and reflects the absolute obsession that most people on this board have in lambasting the GOP ticket and every turn based on nothing other that their infatuation with a one term Senator.

In the OP's second post the link to the video works.

What McCain actually said is so innocuous that creating a thread and inferring the his is racist is just plain stupid and reflects the absolute obsession that most people on this board have in lambasting the GOP ticket and every turn based on nothing other that their infatuation with a one term Senator.

While I thoroughly agree that the OTT support for Obama has been getting a bit annoying of late, I still found it odd that you and Mordeth had picked this thread to make that point.

Obviously, I still haven't seen the video or a transcript of it to know what the hell is being talked about so you may very well be justified.

Now, again, can someone please post a transcript for those in work with restricted access to youtube?

• Advertisement

If you actually take a second to read my OP, what I said was
    Trojan wrote:
    Prediction: there's going to be a lot of talk about this phrase this week.

What's your call? A display of McCain's absolute disgust for Obama, racist overtones, or simply his utterly awful, awful attempt at humour?

Essentially, I think this phrase is going to be a big discussion topic in the post-debate analysis, whether that be right or wrong.

Mordeth, Benedict XVI, I'm not sure how logic works for you, but slamming McCain is not the same as having one's head in Obama's nutsack, or suck his c**k. Both of you: lose the vulgarity and try to respond in an adult fashion next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

It isn't just Ireland, it is making a lot of the news in the US at the moment as well.

It is a shame really because there is a lot of stuff in the debate that should be covered then this. McCain was basically owned in it.

This also isn't racist, but what it is instead is a clear indicator of how pissed off McCain is at the moment. At the start of the debate he even refused to shake his hand.

they did shake hands at the end though.

Hobbes wrote: »
    It isn't just Ireland, it is making a lot of the news in the US at the moment as well.

It is a shame really because there is a lot of stuff in the debate that should be covered then this. McCain was basically owned in it.

This also isn't racist, but what it is instead is a clear indicator of how pissed off McCain is at the moment.

As I said, "a display of McCain's absolute disgust for Obama".

Well done, Hobbes, for managing to express similar sentiments to our two angry friends here without resorting to nutsacks and c**k sucking.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Yeah he really seems to hate Obama. Plus he has a history of having a really bad temper - I wouldn't go as far as saying it was racist, more a sign of his temper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭yaynay

Trojan wrote: »

What's your call? A display of McCain's absolute disgust for Obama, racist overtones, or simply his utterly awful, awful attempt at humour?

Can you explain why you believe the comment had 'racist overtones'? Would you of had the same opinion if the comment come from Obama? It really pisses me off at how quick people are to pull the racist 'card'. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

yaynay wrote: »
    Can you explain why you believe the comment had 'racist overtones'? Would you of had the same opinion if the comment come from Obama? It really pisses me off at how quick people are to pull the racist 'card'. :mad:
    I have to agree. When he said it I thought it was a bad move but never once did it cross my mind that racism was involved!

yaynay wrote: »
    It really pisses me off at how quick people are to pull the racist 'card'. :mad:

Same as the 'sexist' card imo.

After looking at the transcript, I suppose I haven't gotten the full power of the statement, but it just seemed a little condescending, nothing more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

bad attempt at humour no biggie

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

What's this in my tea-cup?

A storm? No, wait. It's just tea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Lawlord007

Trojan wrote: »

Awful attempt at humour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

It raised an eyebrow when i first watched it, but it's not racist, just shows a lack of respect.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

The "that one" comment by McCain, when pointing to Obama, was blatantly disrespectful, and has been picked up by the press. I doubt it was racial, but rather evidenced McCain's dislike for his opponent. I'll bet that McCain now regrets the gesture, given how it has been picked up by the media.

I also wonder how McCain, referring to Putin as KGB with obvious distain (during this debate, and another public occasion I can recall), helps foreign relations should McCain become president? Sure, you might not like the person, his actions, or his policies, but how does this improve your ability to deal with the former Russian President, and now Prime Minister of Russia by insulting him publicly? Is this good diplomacy, and what does this say about the future McCain as the chief diplomat for the US if elected president?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I would love to see MCCain win this one just to p*ss of all the Obama lovers all over this board and in the media, it would be priceless.

You are not alone. I'm too much of a realist to hold out any hope for this, however. So I'll just suffer for a month or two, then we'll see what happens in 2010.

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Nothing racist about what he said...just pure ignorance and bad manners.

As for people hoping McCain wins just to annoy/p*ss off Obama supporters...that is a pretty pathetic attitude to say the least and in fact makes them worse than those people they wish to see annoyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

they did shake hands at the end its just you couldnt see it clearly cause the camera changed
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3K_MKwVBZRY

Ludo wrote: »
    Nothing racist about what he said...just pure ignorance and bad manners.

As for people hoping McCain wins just to annoy/p*ss off Obama supporters...that is a pretty pathetic attitude to say the least and in fact makes them worse than those people they wish to see annoyed.

P**ing off Obama suppoteres is only one of a number of reasons why I would like to see McCain win.

The others mainly relate to McCain's qualities.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

that is a pretty pathetic attitude to say the least and in fact makes them worse than those people they wish to see annoyed.

It's a sort of recoil effect, like my reaction to smear tactics. I react badly to what I perceive as undignified behaviour and do not believe it should be rewarded.
    My wife supports Obama, but makes her case calmly and without excess. Two attitudes which she does not exhibit are 'After years of Bush, it is the Democrats' God-given right to have the White House', because it isn't, and a general "Obama is the Messiah, McCain is Lucifer" sort of view, both of which are behaviours I have encountered on various web boards around the Net. Any form of decorum from certain aspects is long gone, and I can only contemplate the difference between an online personal and real-world interactions in the office.

I refer you to "Red vs Blue, the Difference between Real Life and Internet", the chapter on "Discussing Politics". (Available on Youtube)

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 83,259 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Id go as far as to call him racist. between his performance at the debate, voting against martin luther king day, etc. etc.

he has it out for blacks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I'm assuming you're taking the piss.

Advertisement