Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Getting a new battery for my car.

• 08-10-2008 1:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

So... my battery decided to give up this week, for the lest few days I've had to use the jumper cables, but I think it's time I buy a new battery, can anyone recommend anywhere to go in or around Dublin 14? And maybe if any of you guys know more about cars, is it definitely that I need a new battery?

I mean the car won't start, and there're very few signs of life when I try to start it but I can still get radio and lights...

Also, does anyone know roughly how much a new battery would cost for a daewoo lanos?

Please and thank you.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Alternator might be gone. have you tried jumping it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 amoeba_girl

Yeah I've been jump starting it the last two days, and it works ok after that, but when I leave it off for any more than 10 minutes I can't get it started without jumping it again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Devines hardware on Grange road always seem to have well priced batteries. Alternatively Halfrauds in Carrickmines retail park if you want to part with more cash..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,399 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Well a battery would be around €70 however you have a much bigger problem than that. You have a daewoo lanos : )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Points & Plugs Motor Factors on Prussia Street have good priced batteries. Maybe your connections are just loose...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

Check your connections and maybe take em off and grease em (vasaline would do fine) just to make sure there's a good connection. If it still aint startin then you mite need a new battery, try avoid Halfords coz they very expensive. I use Consort in Finglas but i dunno anywhere near you. If the battery you've been using was good (starting good and reliable) then peel the sticker off and bring that to the shop to get the same type. I generally go for mantainance free ones, saves ya pourin water into em!!!

Hope that helped

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭charlesD

Grahamo999 wrote: »
    Check your connections and maybe take em off and grease em (vasaline would do fine) just to make sure there's a good connection.

That is actually not a good idea. If you grease up your cables and terminals with Vaseline before connecting them it will interfere with the connection and charging.

Vaseline is used in some cases to prevent corrosion, but it should only be put over your cables/terminals after the wires are tightly in place on the battery. Vaseline prevents air from reaching the exposed terminals/cables, which in turn prevents corrosion.

@amoeba_girl it sounds like you might have a bad battery or a bad alternator. If your battery is very old then this could be the problem. I would recommend taking the car to an auto parts store and having them check the battery and your alternator, (most will do this for free, but call them first to make sure)

Judging from what you described, I would guess alternator, but it could also just be that the cables that connect to the battery are very corroded or loose.

Advertisement