Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laser card

Options
  • 08-10-2008 1:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭

i currently have a laser card with bank of ireland . i never asked for the laser card in the first place i asked to get a cirrus stamp on it . im just wondering would i be able to cancel the laser card and still be able to use the card at atms or would i have to get a new card?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Not to sure if this is totally relevant but i am with AIB and they changed all atm cards to laser about a year ago. There was a letter regarding the changover sent out to all users and it stated that if you don't use the card as a laser you will not get charged the stamp duty fee.

I'd imagine this is the same for bank of ireland so you could probably just use it as a regular atm card but for concrete information i'd contact the bank. I would imagine your old card would be cancelled though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

There are three types of card with BOI, an atm card, a cirrus card and a laser card. i guess you wanted a cirrsu card, but as you probably used the term a 'cirrus stamp' as above, they gave you a laser which has a 'cirrus stamp' but is technically a laser card. You can get a cirrus card on its own. but it would require a new card.
    As mentioned you don't have to use the laser facility on your card just because you have one, but BOI do charge the government duty for laser card - é30 at present.
    If you want to switch down to a cirrus, you can but will definatly have to get a new card which takes two working days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

byrner88 wrote: »
    i currently have a laser card with bank of ireland . i never asked for the laser card in the first place i asked to get a cirrus stamp on it . im just wondering would i be able to cancel the laser card and still be able to use the card at atms or would i have to get a new card?

You would have had to sign for same i.e sign a mandate form.
    s_carnage wrote: »
    Not to sure if this is totally relevant but i am with AIB and they changed all atm cards to laser about a year ago. There was a letter regarding the changover sent out to all users and it stated that if you don't use the card as a laser you will not get charged the stamp duty fee.

I'd imagine this is the same for bank of ireland so you could probably just use it as a regular atm card but for concrete information i'd contact the bank. I would imagine your old card would be cancelled though.

Don't know if this is entirely true. You would be still be liable for the 10 eur gov charge.
    gogo wrote: »
    There are three types of card with BOI, an atm card, a cirrus card and a laser card. i guess you wanted a cirrsu card, but as you probably used the term a 'cirrus stamp' as above, they gave you a laser which has a 'cirrus stamp' but is technically a laser card. You can get a cirrus card on its own. but it would require a new card.
    As mentioned you don't have to use the laser facility on your card just because you have one, but BOI do charge the government duty for laser card - é30 at present.
    If you want to switch down to a cirrus, you can but will definatly have to get a new card which takes two working days.

You can only get either an ordinary ATM card or a Laser (with Cirrus and Maestro). Rules have changes unless you have an existing ATM card with cirrus only. The cost of having a laser is only 10 eur. If you have a laser (regardless if you use it or not) you are charged 10 eur.

I've had a laser card for years and have never been charged government duty on it, just the standard duty that you have to pay even for regular atm cards....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

ten euro - fluck, must have been out that day, thanks for the update, I seriously learn more here than I do in work. :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭steo87

gogo wrote: »
    As mentioned you don't have to use the laser facility on your card just because you have one, but BOI do charge the government duty for laser card - é30 at present

The stamp duty for a laser card is 5.00€ NOT 30.00. If you are a BOI customer and have been charged 30.00 laser stamp duty contact your bank to get a refund, because by law it is only 5.00 (combined atm card and laser card is 10.00)

"ATM cards and debit (Laser) cards

The annual stamp duty for these cards is as follows:

* ATM card: 5 euro
    * Debit (Laser) card: 5 euro
    * Combined ATM and debit card: 10 euro

The duty is applied to each card, rather than each account. It does not apply to a replacement for a lost card".

Source: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/money-and-tax/tax/duties-and-vat/stamp-duty-on-financial-cards

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

Some misinformation going on in this thread. When in doubt, go to the source.

In a nutshell, if you're not using the laser part, you only pay €5 a year. If BOI charge you any more, contact them for a refund (and not a "you're stealing my money" type attack). Generally, if a bank overcharges for something like this it is down to human error (either customer's or bank official's). The charge goes straight to the government coffers anyway (to reduce the €11.5 Billion deficit;)), so BOI doesn't gain/lose either way.

Advertisement