Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any Karting Forums?

• 08-10-2008 2:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I'm new to this part of boards but been on the site for a while. I love karting and would like to take it up a bit more. I know about the cost but I also know the season just finished, so I have till march.

Do you know of a a site with a karting specific forum, preferably for Ireland?

Thanks, Paul.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Not a forum but:
    http://www.irishkarting.com/

http://www.motorsportireland.com/index.cfm/loc/7-2.htm

Most, if not all the info you need...This forum is also a pretty good bet - a few racers around (not sure about Karting but certainly in general)

🤪

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Irishkarting.com is about it, not sure if they still have a forum there though. IIRC nutts corner's website/club used to have a forum too. A lot of the Irish folks will probably be lurking at www.karting.co.uk.

Other resources:

www.karting1.co.uk
    www.ekartingnews.com

There used to be a couple of winter races up north as well as Charity event for Leukemia/Johnny Brennan, held at kiltorcan, Kilkenny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭whupass

thanks guys,

seen the first two site,s and read most of the stuff. i'll check those ones souper, thanks.

one main question is, what's the difference between the type of race, and which would be best for me, someone who's only been in the likes of kylemore and kart city...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 467 ✭✭nikimere

1st of all it depends on how old you are...
    I'm going on a hunch, but i reckon your old than 16 so you have a lot of choice.

1) Rotax Max
    2) KF2
    3) Formula Biland
    4) Super Pro Karts
    5) Formula 125

1 & 2 would be seen as more "premier" classes... however this doesn't mean they are any better or provide better racing.
    Rotax Max is relatively cheap but you need a good engine to be competitive (not going to concern you in your 1st season).
    KF2 is an expensive category, but it is supposed to be the top class for Irish Karting. You'll need a couple of good engines and 2 sets of tyres per weekend.
    Formula Biland is a fairly new class (2 years i think). All the drivers use the same chassis and engine and it's all about cheap racing. Not my cup of tea but they are fairly quick and the racing looks to be competitive.
    Super Pro Karts are big and ugly, but they are cheap. Again, not what i would pick (but i'm fussy! :p)
    Formula 125 is unlike any of the above because it has a 5 speed gearbox. They're fairly quick and if you plan on running it yourself you'll need fairly good mechanical knowledge.

Imho your best bet is Rotax Max. They have big grids and you can run for next to nothing cost wise once you look after your equipment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

I've been enjoying motocross for the last few years, but karting is something that I would love to give a shot some year. I love 125s, the most fun about them is gearchanging and clutching to stay on the powerband. Would I be mad to jump straight into the Formula 125 class? What are the grids like for them? What sort of engines do they run, mx engines I assume, CR and TMs? Maintance/ mech knowledge isn't really a problem for me, I have rebuilt countless 2stokes over the years :).

• Advertisement

exactly the kind of advice i was looking for!!

was it the grammar and spelling that gave my age away? i just went 18

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 467 ✭✭nikimere

Timmaay wrote: »
    I've been enjoying motocross for the last few years, but karting is something that I would love to give a shot some year. I love 125s, the most fun about them is gearchanging and clutching to stay on the powerband. Would I be mad to jump straight into the Formula 125 class? What are the grids like for them? What sort of engines do they run, mx engines I assume, CR and TMs? Maintance/ mech knowledge isn't really a problem for me, I have rebuilt countless 2stokes over the years :).
    The grids aren't great to be honest for 125's, about 8 or 9 of them... sometimes less. I wouldn't say you'd be mad to go straight into 125, plenty of people do. I dont know a whole lot about 125's but they definately to use TM's (amongst others).
    whupass wrote: »
    exactly the kind of advice i was looking for!!

was it the grammar and spelling that gave my age away? i just went 18
    Glad to help. Nah just figured most people under 16 wouldn't be talking about buying one of their own! :p
    There will be a charity race in Kiltorcan, Co. Kilkenny (http://www.irishkarting.com/tracks.php) on Saturday 15th November. Would be well worth a trip down to see what it's all about, see the various classes and there'll be a few machines up for sale too no doubt.

OP have you been to a race yet? The format is different to kart city for sure, but aside from that, speed-wise you are dealing with something nearly half the weight (Mass to be pedantic) and 4-5 times the power of what you get at kart city, kylemore etc.

The laptimes equal and in a lot of cases better those of single seater cars at Mondello, so you need to think racecar, rather than kart :)

@Timaayyy, Some people do go immediately into gearbox, but with the (reportedly) low grids, Max might be a better option. You will have plenty to keep you busy and occupied while racing.

There's a comparison vid on youtube, must dig it up. It compares the speed of "hire" karts and racing ones.

that video would be nice to see

some guys i know are in DCU karting society and they're gonna bring me out and let me see what it's like

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Are there many practice days on the tracks around the country, I probably would be just messing around at it for the 1st few years (Still enjoying bikes too much:D).

Only thing I have against max is the whole sealed engine thing, does everyone get the engine send to the uk for rebuilds? I would know a cr or tm engine inside out, and parts are much more common.

• Advertisement

Here's the video, the first is one that any joe soap can drive, it has about twice or more power than the likes of what you would find at a typical indoor karting track.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFQ1HtNiAZA

Some of the guys on the Karting society have probably driven around watergrasshill in the hire karts. A 100cc racing kart would get around in the late 30secs for comparision. Or take the "full" circuit at kart city, lap time for a hire kart is/was about 51 secs, racing kart 42/43. Basically lapped every four or five laps.

^ this is from memory though

Advertisement