Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Oil

Options
  • 08-10-2008 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Any mechanics out there that work in independent garages? Just wondering out of curiousity what engine oils independent garages would typically use. I service my own car and am very fussy about the engine oil. I wonder do garages just lob in the cheapest gunk they can get away with? Do they all check OEM oil specs? VAG specs for one are very confusing and I always use 5w30 fully synth, but cannot imagine a garage forking out for it off their own bat.

Any opinions/experiences?:cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

ring them, ask, supply your own oil if they don't have/won't get what you want

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

My guess would be that they use the cheapest, if they use them at all,

I've seen garages, not changing oil at all, but saying they did, when a customer brought his own part, they'd just clean the old one maybe repaint it, install it back and keep the new one, telling the customer they've replaced the part.

I'll never leave my car in the garage unattended.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Read your manual - see what oil is specified for your engine. Failing that, take peasants advice but you'll probably need your VIN or engine code to get a definitive answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

peasant wrote: »
    ring them, ask, supply your own oil if they don't have/won't get what you want
    Some garages will not guarantee the work if you supply your own service parts including oil.

Advertisement