Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Noob Alert : Need info about different types of Licences.

• 08-10-2008 3:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭

OK lads, I have been looking around the Web for the last few days and I cannot find what I am looking for, I thought I had, but then I found conflicting info so I need this straightened out.

What is involved in getting and "m" licence ?? Is it simply a theory test, to get the provisional "M" and then your allowed to drive on your own ? Are you allowed to drive on all roads bar moterways ?

Does getting an "A1" licence involve the same process as an "m" ? Is the Theory test the same, do you need to do a practical test for the "A1" provisional .

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

You do the theory test for Motor Bikes, M/A1/A. Once you've done the theory test you can apply for a learners permit for what ever class you want. If you are over 18 your better off going for the A licence cause you can ride any bike on that once it's less the 25kw, including mopeds.

We have no CBT yet so once you've done the theory you can drive, but I highly advise getting lessons before you go out on your own.

The restrictions on learners permits are you can't drive on motorways, carry pillions and have to wear a high viz tabard with a 15cm red L front and rear.

You have to do the A test on a bike bigger the 150cc, but you can hire them off driving schools for lessons and the test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Cheers mate, that pretty much clears up all of my questions, great post !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭zonEEE

Del2005 wrote: »
    You do the theory test for Motor Bikes, M/A1/A. Once you've done the theory test you can apply for a learners permit for what ever class you want. If you are over 18 your better off going for the A licence cause you can ride any bike on that once it's less the 25kw, including mopeds.

We have no CBT yet so once you've done the theory you can drive, but I highly advise getting lessons before you go out on your own.

The restrictions on learners permits are you can't drive on motorways, carry pillions and have to wear a high viz tabard with a 15cm red L front and rear.

You have to do the A test on a bike bigger the 150cc, but you can hire them off driving schools for lessons and the test.

are you sure about the high viz and the L plates? Everyone i know that has a moped dont use them and all the gards look for is tax license etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

strongr wrote: »
    are you sure about the high viz and the L plates? Everyone i know that has a moped dont use them and all the gards look for is tax license etc.
    Yes, Del2005 is right about the High-viz with L plates.

Yes, Del2005 is right about the High-viz with L plates.

Am i right in saying the gards don't really care about that rule? Like the gards are always stopping my friends on scooters and never say a word about the L plates and high viz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

Also be aware that if you've passed the theory test for a car you can go ahead and apply for a A1/M learner permit without having to do a new theory test.

Am i right in saying the gards don't really care about that rule? Like the gards are always stopping my friends on scooters and never say a word about the L plates and high viz
    The Garda may let it slide when your friends are stopped... However, if one of your friends causes an accident, the insurance could walk away from the claim as they were not actually allowed to be on their scooter without the High Viz... I wouldn't give these insurance companies an inch! Be legal! ALWAYS!

Simona1986 wrote: »
    Also be aware that if you've passed the theory test for a car you can go ahead and apply for a A1/M learner permit without having to do a new theory test.

Not anymore. There are now different theory tests for cars and bikes. You need to do a theory test for each category you want a learners permit in.

Del2005 wrote: »
    Not anymore. There are now different theory tests for cars and bikes. You need to do a theory test for each category you want a learners permit in.
    Correct and right! :)

When did that change? I only got my learner permit for A1 in Feb?

• Advertisement

Not too sure but it was at least a year ago. Whenever they added the new questions into the book.

But why did you apply for A1? Why didn't you go for A from the start? A1 is pointeless really...

Because I had already done the theory test that covered me for the A1/M license when I was getting my car license, it was only a matter of filling in a form and waiting for the licence to be sent out. Since I was going to be on a 50cc for at least a year because of the insurance costs with anything bigger I've got that year to do the other theory test and get the A learner permit and apply for the full test.

Because I had already done the theory test that covered me for the A1/M license when I was getting my car license, it was only a matter of filling in a form and waiting for the licence to be sent out. Since I was going to be on a 50cc for at least a year because of the insurance costs with anything bigger I've got that year to do the other theory test and get the A learner permit and apply for the full test.
    In that case, A1 is inderstandable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,453 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Because I had already done the theory test that covered me for the A1/M license when I was getting my car license

It would have covered you for A as well.

Scrap the cap!

Would it? Does it still then or what's the story? I only applied for my learner permit in Feb.

The Garda may let it slide when your friends are stopped... However, if one of your friends causes an accident, the insurance could walk away from the claim as they were not actually allowed to be on their scooter without the High Viz... I wouldn't give these insurance companies an inch! Be legal! ALWAYS!

In the theory test it said all drivers with the exception of motorbikes/mopeds have to have L plates. So im pretty sure you don't need L plates/high viz. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,790 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

... However, if one of your friends causes an accident, the insurance could walk away from the claim as they were not actually allowed to be on their scooter without the High Viz... I wouldn't give these insurance companies an inch! Be legal! ALWAYS!

incorrect - they cannot refuse to pay on a claim where the insurance cover is mandatory under the Road Traffic Act.....this has already been in court....

now I understand your logic, and it's not faulty. However, it has been tested, and found to be wanting..........

If it was the UK - you're dead right - you'd be goosed !

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    incorrect - they cannot refuse to pay on a claim where the insurance cover is mandatory under the Road Traffic Act.....this has already been in court....
    Sorry, I wasn't clear enough. They'll pay the claim of course and then sue you for that amount.

In the theory test it said all drivers with the exception of motorbikes/mopeds have to have L plates. So im pretty sure you don't need L plates/high viz. :)
    You MUST wear high viz wil L plates on them. It just came into play about a month or two ago.

• Advertisement
Advertisement