Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

quick question re Car Loan

Options
  • 08-10-2008 3:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭

Hey All,

Not sure if I'm in the right place...

I had a car loan with TSB and I paid the balance in full. I know this as I asked on the day of the last payment 'so im clear now' and the teller said 'yes'.

Today, (a year and a half later) , I received a letter from the bank telling me I owe them €175. :eek:

Now, I've moved house since but my mam still lives at the address, so i know she would have forwarded me any other post from them.

I know they are a bank and if I don't pay my credit rating will be screwed so

Is there any point in me kicking up a fuss? In a year and a half no other letters/invoices/statements have come from them.

Im pretty sure Ive trown out any receipts I would have kept as I have a new car loan now.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

Loan statements on average only issue two to three times a year, and if a loan is cleared but the account left open, a statement won't issue as there is no 'movement' on the account, ie no lodgements, etc.
    What does it say on the statement? Is it interest accrued - you owe maybe on a small remaining balance in the loan, ie, there was still a small balance left to pay in the loan, and now with interest its 175.
    Obviously your first step is to arrange a meeting with the bank - pronto, if they are right and you still owe money, its proably accruing interest by the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

*Dallas wrote: »
    Hey All,

Not sure if I'm in the right place...

I had a car loan with TSB and I paid the balance in full. I know this as I asked on the day of the last payment 'so im clear now' and the teller said 'yes'.

Today, (a year and a half later) , I received a letter from the bank telling me I owe them €175. :eek:

Now, I've moved house since but my mam still lives at the address, so i know she would have forwarded me any other post from them.

I know they are a bank and if I don't pay my credit rating will be screwed so

Is there any point in me kicking up a fuss? In a year and a half no other letters/invoices/statements have come from them.

Im pretty sure Ive trown out any receipts I would have kept as I have a new car loan now.

thanks

You need to pay a visit to the branch and talk to a manager about same. It would seem rediculus that you were told that the loan was cleared and be told that it actually isn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭*Dallas

thanks for the replies, the bank rang me back yesterday, turns out it was a mix up with another loan!

thank god! just goes to show mistakes do happen

thanks again

Advertisement