Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help needed with kitchen lights

• 08-10-2008 3:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭

i have lights wired as follows. i have light switch with common and L1 i have identified the live wire and conected it to the common and i have conected the other two wires to the L2. i have two lights in the celing of my kitchen. the type of lights i am using are the type with two bars running along and 4 halogen light bulbs attached to these bars the bars show up live on my tester. the wires comming from my wall and into my switch are brown with white strip 3 of them. the problem is the lights still wont com on. any ideas

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭freebird23

just one more thing are the bars suppesed to show up live are they safe to touch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

I think those fittings are meant for 12V or 24V use via a transformer.
    The reason they won't light up is because you probably fried the bulbs as soon as you put 240V on them.

Take it down ASAP - it's extremely dangerous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭freebird23

the light unit contains a transformer. witch is why its using 12v 20w bilbs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

OK this is a case where you need to just stay away from the light fitting and call an electrician in.

Sorry OP I know this is a DIY forum, but when fittings end up being live, it's time for a professional.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

freebird23 wrote: »
    the light unit contains a transformer. witch is why its using 12v 20w bilbs

Then it's either faulty or connected wrong.

As Stoner said, maybe it's time to get some professional assistance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

freebird23 wrote: »
    i have lights wired as follows. i have light switch with common and L1 i have identified the live wire and conected it to the common and i have conected the other two wires to the L2. i have two lights in the celing of my kitchen. the type of lights i am using are the type with two bars running along and 4 halogen light bulbs attached to these bars the bars show up live on my tester. the wires comming from my wall and into my switch are brown with white strip 3 of them. the problem is the lights still wont com on. any ideas

did you put light up yourself,

is there 2 way switching in kitchen, ie switches each end of kitchen to put lights on,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭joeperry

have you got the neutral connected in at the light? why didnt you connect the switch wires in to L1?? id also try another light like a ceiling rose to see if that works. or try your new lights with a flex and plug to see theyre ok.

Advertisement