Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

possible new cinema city centre- bedford row

Options
  • 08-10-2008 3:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Just read on limerick leader website that a developer has accquired propery on bedford row that include the former pub and the other properties adjacent to it. Wonder does that mean the end of cafe on the row etc, anyway he wants to develop a city centre cinema in that specific area to attract more people into the city centre. Wonder will it get the green light or just pie in the sky?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

It'd be nice to see alright... However, I remember the good old days of the Savoy where you'd go to the late show after a night out, and you'd get drunk assholes talking, messing and making noise while the movie was on.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

a cinema on bedford row, what a novel idea!! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Must be the old Nevada Smyths bar they are talking about? About time that place was done up, it is an absolute disgrace especially with the newly opened pedestrian street.

Would be a shame to see the end of Cafe on the Row though. Lovely breakies in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Wow, just noticed what you said about Cafe On The Row.... I would miss that place, definitely... good coffee and nice food.

the bar had great potential with the new street and for the first few weeks was great. then they totally screwed up and rented it to bob to run a gay bar in. which was run into the ground. disaster.

• Advertisement

Mr E wrote: »
    Wow, just noticed what you said about Cafe On The Row.... I would miss that place, definitely... good coffee and nice food.
    incredibly hit and miss service, one of them in particular can be extremely patronising and ignorant to paying customers just because she makes assumptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

In my opinion I think there are parts of the city that are in a worse state than that block of buildings.

Take Liddy St.
    Why not put the cinema there?

There's already life on Bedford Row and successful businesses such as Cafe on the Row and Figaro operate there.

Liddy St needs life and that would be an excellent place for the cinema.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭D-A-V-E

In my opinion I think there are parts of the city that are in a worse state than that block of buildings.

Take Liddy St.
    Why not put the cinema there?

There's already life on Bedford Row and successful businesses such as Cafe on the Row and Figaro operate there.

Liddy St needs life and that would be an excellent place for the cinema.

haha funny you should mention liddy street..it wont be there for very long..neither will the dunnes behind it, or the debenhams block, penneys block, arthurs quay block and arthurs quay park!!

CentralCore2.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 79 ✭✭strettie

Developers seem to always suggest building cinemas in big developments but they need a cinema group to run it and based on recent withdrawal of cinemas from planning applications in Limerick , that interest does not seem to be there.

- Cinema in Coonagh SC withdrwn

- there was a cinema in original application for SC extension beside TK Maxx in Parkway , not in application that was approved

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Yeah, the Cinema authority only provide a number of reels per population and Limerick with its 2 cinemas has its maximum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭Baldie

And where are we supposed to park if they do put a cinema on Bedford Row? At least the Omniplex and Storm have ample parking facilities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭D-A-V-E

Yeah, the Cinema authority only provide a number of reels per population and Limerick with its 2 cinemas has its maximum.

is that going with the population within the city boundary or greater urban area? i came accross a figure that killarney town has a bigger town boundary than limericks city boundary..what a joke, we're being treated like were a small town with our boundary, smaller places like galway and waterford are being treated with better health care etc as a result :mad:

Baldie wrote: »
    And where are we supposed to park if they do put a cinema on Bedford Row? At least the Omniplex and Storm have ample parking facilities.
    harveys quay is right across the road. I suspect this cinema isnt to cater for people driving specifically to it, but for those already in the city centre

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Baldie wrote: »

The dunnes car park is 24 hour, or just get a bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

Heard today from a chap who works for the investor and he told me plans for Cinema complex on Bedford row are real

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

It would be fantastic to have a city centre cinema again. Myself and Limerick Dude could regale many a funny tale about the Savoy from our teenage years! :D I'd be very disappointed to lose Cafe on the Row, but it'd almost be worth it. Hopefully it wouldn't be let turn into the bosca brúascar that the Savoy was before it closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭rosboy

Poxyshamrock, you sure about that? My understanding was that the problem with additional cinemas was the cost of the reels as opposed to the availablity. As strettie said (below) plans were already put forward for additional cinemas. The problem was it was deemed not to be economically viable to have more than two cinemas in Limerick. Each cinema would have to pay big money for each reel, but would have to split the customers amongst three cinema's instead of 2.
    strettie wrote: »
    Developers seem to always suggest building cinemas in big developments but they need a cinema group to run it and based on recent withdrawal of cinemas from planning applications in Limerick , that interest does not seem to be there.

- Cinema in Coonagh SC withdrwn

- there was a cinema in original application for SC extension beside TK Maxx in Parkway , not in application that was approved
    D-A-V-E wrote: »
    haha funny you should mention liddy street..it wont be there for very long..neither will the dunnes behind it, or the debenhams block, penneys block, arthurs quay block and arthurs quay park!!

CentralCore2.jpg
    Any more info on this development? I haven't seen it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

I also find it hard to believe that Limerick due to its population is only allowed 2, while cork is a fair bit bigger it also has a lot more cinema's and I believe Limerick could definitely do with another one be it in the city centre or the northside. (I'd rather the city centre myself)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 windman

better still, take your bike. i for one would support a city centre cinema, every city needs one..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Harpy

limerick definately needs a cinema in town.. especially for people living on the north side. I think a cinema in town would do really good buisness if its run properly

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Until we hear more: here's me hoping there's truth to this, and that we soon (relatively speaking) see a movie-theatre in Limerick city centre once again.

Advertisement