Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3rd McCain-Obama Debate 15 October

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

On the Biden v Palin thing, I think it's clear Palin will end up being considered as a net negative on McCain's chance at the presidency.

Slightly amusing when Obama was asked to give his opinion on Palin - struggling to come up with something nice to say about her, when he clearly believes she's not up to the job. The comparison when McCain was asked about Biden was blatant - clearly McCain had no doubts about his ability but did his best to point out his "errors" in judgement

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

McCain makes a decent point about Nuclear power being (more or less) perfectly safe, but he doesn't have to be quite so flippant about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,277 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

question about taxes: is it not like in Ireland, where theres a standard rate cut-off? Or is it like if you're in the upper bracket, they tax all your income at the upper bracket rate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Mc Cain is becoming too negative,too many personal attacks.

Obama's been handing him rope on this for the last two weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Trojan wrote: »
    What specifically lost him the vote?

McCain's attempt to bring Acorn and Ayers as an offensive after 1 minute previously suggesting that negative campiagning is a bad thing and his comment about Obama launching his campaign in Ayers living room. His general response was weak, suggesting that disputing his healthcare proposals is negative, as a healthcare professional who isn't just out to make money (despite that being one of the major reason's I'd favor McCain) I know that many of Obama's so-called negative points are valid.

I lived in Chicago when Obama came on the radar so I see McCain as engaging in an outright slanderous lie and that isn't something I want in a president. I think he's sunk to a level that I hoped he wouldn't. I was very heartened to see him rebuke supporters at his rally, but this makes it meaningless.

Interesting note. CNN hve a graph on their screen that shows an interest groups reactions (negative/positive) to the candidates answers. For men it rose slightly as McCain talked up Palin. For women it flatlined.

EDIT
    BTW you have a PM or two from me :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

Can anybody watching cnn tell me how the 'ohio undecided' dial went during the segment about the negative attack ads?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

good point but she is mental

She is indeed

Drilling for oil, which is turned into more C02, more climate change, more hurricanes. Do they not understand this over there???

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

McCain losing on free trade etc.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭BenjAii

Wow, is McCain doing much else from negative attacks, its all he seems to be about .......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Darragh29 wrote: »
    Drilling for oil, which is turned into more C02, more climate change, more hurricanes. Do they not understand this over there???

He's appealing to people who are tight in the pocket, and lower gas prices is one his targets. That and the illusion of lower taxes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭Cadet?

Much more interesting debate compared to the other two....McCain is attacking, but I think his negative, patronising, tetchy demeanour (complete with audible sighs, raised eyebrows and cheeky smirks) won't do him any good.

Every single time McCain goes negative the voter response drops. He was doing much better at the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

i find it more worrying that McCain keeps avoiding the obvious point that the US doesnt have enough oil reserves to make a difference

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭flyingoutside

Obama's response on healthcare was fantastic

The negative attacks worked on the Economy, major FAIL since!

Ah ould Joe the plumber again!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,277 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

McCain just took a nose dive with the wimmins criticizing obama's healthplan instead of talking about his own.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Enough with Joe already... jeez.

Paddy the Plasterer is back...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    i find it more worrying that McCain keeps avoiding the obvious point that the US doesnt have enough oil reserves to make a difference

His entire campaign is focused on the short term. Palin was asked what she would do if the McCain campaign didn't win the election, she said she doesn't know, she's so focused on Nov 4th.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭flyingoutside

Macain won't answer the question and just attacks. Obama just used Joe the plumber really well against Macain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭BenjAii

BlitzKrieg wrote: »

Funny, I find it just blends in with the other total BS he comes out with ......

None of the groups are responding well to McCain's attacks on Obama's healthcare policy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

McCain looking flustered on health.

Women love Obamas health policies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Obama's response on health insurance (disputing the small business remark by McCain) is an excellent response, probably something that most Americans don't know and had never realized.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

Have the 50k+ people in CNN's focus group fallen asleep? It hasn't moved in ages. Or are they just really apathetic?

Goog God, Joe will never be able to show his face again!

• Advertisement

Joe has done well for himself, became a CEO and now supports McCain.

Advertisement