Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3rd McCain-Obama Debate 15 October

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Tom65 wrote: »
    The audience reaction one marked "Rep", "Dem", and "Ind"?

Maybe the male/female one was as well. Watching more than one graph at once is really difficult...

HDTV (and maybe the internet) has both male/female and affiliation graphs.

Normal TV has just male/female.

CNN pundits have scored it a draw, maybe a slight lead for McCain for aggresiveness.
    Of course as I have just shown myself as a case in point, scores don't equate to votes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Nothing ,but Obama mentioned Autism as its a special needs area.

Yeah but Mc Cain specifically said Sarah Palin would know more about Autism than most...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Complete meltdown from McCain there on education.
    "Game Over man. Game Over"
    Managed to keep a lid on it for the final statement, but I think he's just a busted flush now. I can't see Obama losing it now after this debate. He started slow in this debate but McCain's attacks and increasing petulance as the debate went on made him appear more and more presidental.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

GuanYin wrote: »
    HDTV (and maybe the internet) has both male/female and affiliation graphs.

Normal TV has just male/female.

CNN pundits have scored it a draw, maybe a slight lead for McCain for aggresiveness.
    Of course as I have just shown myself as a case in point, scores don't equate to votes.

[Just to point out, I wasn't being sarcastic with that second sentence. My bad if it sounded like it.]

I'm watching the CNN stream, they have male/female, Rep/Dem/Ind, and Income 50k-/50k+

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Darragh29 wrote: »
    Probably cause college massacres to jump up...

He hasn't really thought a lot of his policies through. Good closes for both candidates. Think Obama edged it again. Onward to November 4th!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

BBC chick needs a new jacket, lime green looks like something Palin would wear.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,265 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Overheal wrote: »
    Joe the Plumber needs some help from Julie the Web Designer

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Did McCain just suggest military personnel should be able to move into teaching without passing exams or something? I wasn't entirely paying attention at the time, but that sounds ridiculous.

I unfortunately didn't catch the context, but there's a program called 'Troops to Teachers' which has been around for a few years. He may have been talking about expanding or tweaking it a bit.

I didn't hear the word 'Maverick', or even too many incidents of 'My Friends.' That's an improvement.

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

George Lundtzs group on Fox said Obama won!

"The I'm not Bush " line went down well though.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I unfortunately didn't catch the context, but there's a program called 'Troops to Teachers' which has been around for a few years. He may have been talking about expanding or tweaking it a bit.

I didn't hear the word 'Maverick', or even too many incidents of 'My Friends.' That's an improvement.

NTM

I think the idea is great in many ways, it was more the fact that McCain was mentioning something about eliminating testing and training for the prospective teachers in order to streamline the process or something. Again, I didn't hear it properly but it seemed like an awfully odd thing to suggest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

It was by far the best and most interesting debate. The right questions that people finally want to know got partly answered.

McCain did very well for the first 30 mins then sounded like an old man after that, stumbling from one attack to another.

Obama started slowly but finished strongly.I cant believe this analysts, why should solders bypass training and testing to become fully qualified teachers, thats not going to help our education system here in america. That is a daft idea, further undermines the whole system.

This debate was a draw, obama for president.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dRNk SAnTA

Does anyone think McCain won?

It was McCains best performance, especially in the first couple of questions but Obama shaded it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭juvenal

Damn - I missed this totally as I got distracted with the Dodgers/Phillies game (and I'm a Red Sox fan :()

Saw the last five minutes when I was reminded by this thread. Can people give a brief analysis? (Perhaps mention your partiality before it! ;))

Trojan wrote: »
    Joe the Plumber needs some help from Julie the Web Designer
    turns out its the wrong joe anyway :pac: Joe apparently is from Ohio, not California.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Is Joe the Plumber related to Bob the Builder?

I thought McCain won the 1st 1/3, Obama the final 2/3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

It depends on your point of view as to who won.

If you're an undecided, I don't think McCain won.

I was watching Fox News for a minute and didn't realize it.... the analyst I saw gave it to Obama.

At the end of the day, I think everyone fears this....
    http://www.palinaspresident.com/

GuanYin wrote: »
    It depends on your point of view as to who won.

If you're an undecided, I don't think McCain won.

I was watching Fox News for a minute and didn't realize it.... the analyst I saw gave it to Obama.

At the end of the day, I think everyone fears this....
    http://www.palinaspresident.com/
    I think we all know who really won out of this:

Joe the Plumber just went national.

McCain certainly did better this time around. But not enough. He needed to do a lot better.

Please God, next time around the Republicans will have finally understood that cheap negative attacks turn undecideds off and they will give up on them. I somehow don't see it happening, however.

NTM

• Advertisement

Please God, next time around the Republicans will have finally understood that cheap negative attacks turn undecideds off and they will give up on them

Please God, they won't!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

McCain appeared to me as a disgruntled rich old man, smugly complaining about Obama, and offering little time to address the real issues facing the American people or how precisely he would solve them. The "Joe the Plumber" references were sophomoric.

Obama appeared to be more on the defensive than ever before, and to that extent, less presidential. He allowed McCain to bully him, then failed to get in a word at times, when McCain would not shut up and rambled on.

I was disappointed in both of them, leaving me to wonder if the thoughtful voter would be better advised to check on his ballot: None of the above!*

*Too bad that option does not exist.

Obama appeared to be more on the defensive than ever before, and to that extent, less presidential. He allowed McCain to bully him, then failed to get in a word at times, when McCain would not shut up and rambled on.
    Or, one might think, McCain was being pre-emptive, and Obama was being reactive. If you want to think about how they might operate as Commanders in Chief.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Or, one might think, McCain was being pre-emptive, and Obama was being reactive. If you want to think about how they might operate as Commanders in Chief.
    The artificial and capricious nature of the so-called debate is contextually very different from that of a military confrontation context as Commander in Chief?

"Gentlemen! You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Pocono Joe

McCain did just okay in the debate, but definitely not enough.

Bill O’Reilly’s "The Factor" is being replayed in 1.5 hours (5:00 EST USA). He interviewed Karl Rove and Dick Morris. He asked both of them what they would advise McCain to do in the debate. It seems McCain did pretty much what Karl Rove suggested. But the advice Dick Morris gave was spot on and absolutely brilliant! If you get Fox News be sure to watch the Dick Morris segment. McCain should have called off sick, and sent Morris in his place to the debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Seanies32 wrote: »
    "The I'm not Bush " line went down well though.

Pre-emptive strikes? Where've I heard that before? Ah yes, "Shock and Awe".

"I'm not Bush" indeed ....

I'll need to wait until later to watch the debate :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭catch--22

Pocono Joe wrote: »
    But the advice Dick Morris gave was spot on and absolutely brilliant! If you get Fox News be sure to watch the Dick Morris segment. McCain should have called off sick, and sent Morris in his place to the debate.

I won't be able to see this....can you explain what he suggested?

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭CtrlSource

Pocono Joe wrote: »
    McCain did just okay in the debate, but definitely not enough.

Bill O’Reilly’s "The Factor" is being replayed in 1.5 hours (5:00 EST USA). He interviewed Karl Rove and Dick Morris. He asked both of them what they would advise McCain to do in the debate. It seems McCain did pretty much what Karl Rove suggested. But the advice Dick Morris gave was spot on and absolutely brilliant! If you get Fox News be sure to watch the Dick Morris segment. McCain should have called off sick, and sent Morris in his place to the debate.

Ugh, Dick Morris. He disgusts me. i don't hate many people, but i do hate him.

BTW, did i mention that i hate Dick Morris? He's a dick.

How ironic that McCain would do what Rove suggested he should do!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Trojan wrote: »
    Please God, they won't!

That raises the spectre of perpetual one-party government. On the debate , could only watch 5 minutes of it. This was certainly enough to convince me that McCain was unlikely to do anything special. If these guys were boxers they'd be worth a fortune they're so good at ducking and diving. Let's hope that they can actually perform when they get the job. Looking much more like this will be Obama now.

Advertisement