Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does it matter how you connect to Eircom BB

Options
  • 08-10-2008 4:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭

Hi all, today I made another attempt at getting my PS3 to Nat 2. In the process of fiddling with the router I changed the connection type in the WAN settings to PPPoE. I entered the eircom un:pw and rebooted. Eventually I got my net access back and funningly enough the Ps3 is now at Nat 2.

Previously I was always using the Dynamic IP option when connecting to the provider. Does it make any difference from any aspect be it caps or otherwise if Im connecting to eircom using the PPPoE option, because the router doesnt want to seem to go back and connect using the Dynamic option.

Any replied appreciated :)

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

wiseolsham wrote: »
    Previously I was always using the Dynamic IP option when connecting to the provider. Does it make any difference from any aspect be it caps or otherwise if Im connecting to eircom using the PPPoE option, because the router doesnt want to seem to go back and connect using the Dynamic option.

No, it makes no difference.

The only difference is that Eircom wont give you any support for gear that isn't theirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

wiseolsham wrote: »
    Hi all, today I made another attempt at getting my PS3 to Nat 2. In the process of fiddling with the router I changed the connection type in the WAN settings to PPPoE. I entered the eircom un:pw and rebooted. Eventually I got my net access back and funningly enough the Ps3 is now at Nat 2.

Any replied appreciated :)

You should always be connecting to Eircom via PPPoE as this is the standard they use. http://broadbandsupport.eircom.net/bbkblink.asp?case=8088

Strange how you managed to connect using Dynamic IP address.

Are you using an Eircom supplied router or a 3rd party 1?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭wiseolsham

Cheers for the replies folks, its a third party router that Ive had for ages and it works quite well. I got the Eircom BB back in the day when they only dished out BB modems :)

Thanks again!

Advertisement