Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brain piercing?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

:eek:

What the hell? :confused:

My sentiments exactly :D

Whatever floats their boat I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Agamemnon

Urgh... I need that like I need a hole in the head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I'm pretty sure it's bull****, but at the same time... it's just the right side of crazy to be believable.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

I think they should get Jade Goodie as a spokesperson for this.

" I put a hole in my head innit and it does feel brilliant right, much better than them bottles what"

The masses will be queueing up.

And on a Republican website too. well well..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

My knowledge of the human brain is pretty (extremely) basic at best, and even that article was inaccurate enough to make me laugh.

Do a google search for 'brain' and 'euphoria' and you'll find that there's no way to pierce the area of your brain controlling it short of sticking a pole through your head. Come on people, you don't really think this is true do you?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭Turd Ferguson

Gauge wrote: »
    My knowledge of the human brain is pretty (extremely) basic at best, and even that article was inaccurate enough to make me laugh.

Do a google search for 'brain' and 'euphoria' and you'll find that there's no way to pierce the area of your brain controlling it short of sticking a pole through your head. Come on people, you don't really think this is true do you?

They dont pierce the brain, they pierce the skull and the metal touches the brian.

Pft, did you even READ the article?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

This has been around for millennia to be honest. Nothing new and extremely dangerous .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trepanning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Carsinian Thau

Well there's only one way to find out if it's really possible...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

Pfft, did you even read my post?

NO ONE is going to get unending euphoria from a piercing touching the outside of the brain, because the parts of the brain that control euphoria aren't *on* the outside of the brain.

And the picture seems to be of a fairly standard surface piercing on the head, although this isn't a very common location for surface piercings, it has been done.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

They dont pierce the brain, they pierce the skull and the metal touches the brian.

Pft, did you even READ the article?

If you actually read it yourself, you'd know they actually pierce the scull. :)

Must be some new rowers fad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

RTDH is busy going on about the M50 private info scandal so I'll cover for him.

This is just a plan by the NWO to implant RFID chips in your brain. The piercings obviously contain tracking devices and possible mind control capabilities! 1984, sheeple etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

I for one welcome our new brain piercing overlord....

.......as yes, I think it's a load of BS...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭Turd Ferguson

NO ONE is going to get unending euphoria from a piercing touching the outside of the brain, because the parts of the brain that control euphoria aren't *on* the outside of the brain.

And the picture seems to be of a fairly standard surface piercing on the head, although this isn't a very common location for surface piercings, it has been done.

I think we should just agree to disagree :pac:

Good lord man, it was a joke.

The areas that control euphoria are scattered throughout the brain and spinal cord. Euphoria is caused by mu receptors being stimulated by endorphins or heroin/morphine.

If you put anything in contact with your brain tissue, it'll kill it because brain tissue can't withstand any pressure at all. Also, a piercing like that would most certainly cause infection, which due to its location, would definitely be fatal.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

Stop it you pair of pffffters

The areas that control euphoria are scattered throughout the brain and spinal cord. Euphoria is caused by mu receptors being stimulated by endorphins or heroin/morphine.

If you put anything in contact with your brain tissue, it'll kill it because brain tissue can't withstand any pressure at all. Also, a piercing like that would most certainly cause infection, which due to its location, would definitely be fatal.

http://www.celsius1414.com/images/keanu_whoa.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

Reminds me of that dilbert strip where the guys brain is pierced, and he accuses dilbert of being a conformist.

http://www.ispub.com/ostia/index.php?xmlPrinter=true&xmlFilePath=journals/ijs/vol9n2/head.xml

Now heres a brain piercing.....rawck!

EDIT: Aw, his brainses make a frowny...

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj9/chin_grin/head-fig2.jpg

Also check how rusty the calipers are...good christ jim I'm a fat Scottish basty not a surgeon....etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Damn, it would be so funny to know someone who had that done. It would be impossible to resist sending them off into euphoric spasm at the most inappropriate times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,501 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

ScumLord wrote: »
    It would be impossible to resist sending them off into euphoric spasm at the most inappropriate times.

Not good with the ladies are we? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Ah sure, they used to look down on folk with long hair. Maybe in forty years we'll show those with trepanated skulls the respect they deserve, albeit due to widespread lobotomies rather than society adjusting to positive changes to attitudes tbh.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Nothing new here , it's just back in fashion again
    http://www.cerebromente.org.br/n02/historia/trepan.htm
    Just imagine: a hole of 2.5 to 5 cm of diameter, drilled by hand into the skull of a living man, without any anesthesia or asepsis, during 30 to 60 long minutes. This is maybe the most ancient form of brain surgery known to man: it is called trepanning (from Greek trupanon, borer) or trephining. And one of the reasons for performing this bone-chilling procedure was perhaps the same that motivated modern surgeons, such as Dr. Egas Moniz, to perform psychosurgery, in order to alleviate mental symptoms.

Skulls with signs of trepanning were found practically in all parts of the world where man has lived. Trepanning is probably the oldest surgical operation known to man: evidence for it goes back as far as in 40,000 year-old Cro-Magnon sites.

Trepanning was "fashionable" on and off along the ages, probably with different reasons. It was practiced in the Stone Age, in Ancient Egypt, in the Greek and Roman pre-historic and classic times, in the Far and Middle East, among the Celtic tribes, in China (ancient and recent), India, among the Mayans, Aztecs and Incas, among Brazilian indians (karaya and eugano), in the South Seas, and in North and Equatorial Africa

Maybe it's addictive ?
    Repeated trepanning was common; for instance it is related that Prince Philip of Orange was trepanned 17 times by his physician. De La Touche, a French physician trepanned 52 times one of his patient, within a two-month period!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Just get some transdermal implants.

No need to be fúcking about with something most of the readers here don't use.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Ah, gone be the days when a simple discreet nose piercing was enough to satisfy the piercee's needs. They're just attention seekers these days.

http://ill-use.com/joom/images/stories/piercings/tribal/apatani/apatani_%20lady.jpg

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Does this remind anybody of BrassEye's expose on the shocking new trend of Cake?

Advertisement