Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traffic questions - ROTR

Options
  • 08-10-2008 5:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Ever second day on my way to work I have a problem on the same junction and I don't know what lane to use - whichever one I pick there is beeping. I want to know who has right of way. I'm talking about coming past the Examiner Office & straight through the junction near Jury's Inn then turning left on Penrose Wharf (The quays).

Anyway there are two lanes you can turn left from and there are no lane markings going through the junction as it's a yellow hatch/box. I want to go into the middle lane but traffic from both lanes seems to think it has right of way - what is the correct lane to be in. I've done a little diagram.....

Or if anyone knows a better way to get from Douglas to Charleville let me know!!!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Just fyi, that diagram would have been easier to open if it was done in MS Paint...

Anywho, that's a tricky one alright. I usually take the outside lane to over the bridge to go into the middle lane on the quays. Any time I've taken the inside lane I've gotten trapped in the inside lane on the quays. Not sure if that's correct though.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Kazbah

Faith wrote: »
    Just fyi, that diagram would have been easier to open if it was done in MS Paint...

Anywho, that's a tricky one alright. I usually take the outside lane to over the bridge to go into the middle lane on the quays. Any time I've taken the inside lane I've gotten trapped in the inside lane on the quays. Not sure if that's correct though.

I did it in MSPaint alright no idea why it didn't open easily.

I wonder is there one lane that is more entitled to go in there. What would happen if there was a collision?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Funkyzeit

Kazbah wrote: »

Or if anyone knows a better way to get from Douglas to Charleville let me know!!!

I wouldn't go that way at all - I'd go straight through at the Elysian and go left at next set of lights over the bridge, pass Mechants Quay and go over Paddys bridge...?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

There was a thread on this junction before. Left lane would appear to be correct.......although it used to be the right hand lane, hence the confusion (that and lack of painted line in box). Better to avoid middle lane altogether. If you're going down quays, go for left lane after junction; if you're heading towards train station, use very right hand lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Kazbah wrote: »

I take it going around the south ring, through the tunnel and around the north ring isn't feasible? You could go west towards Blarney and pick up the Mallow road there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Kazbah

I can get to the tunnel easily and I tried this a couple of times. Going along Tivoli, up past Silversprings and through Ballyvolane coming into Blackpool but it is about another 5 miles onto the journey. I'm already doing 300 miles a week return. I didn't see any big time saving as there is usally heavy ish traffic coming through Ballyvolane and sometimes by SIlversprings so I gave up that route and started going back through town.

Maybe there is a better way through Glanmire or something and come out beyond Blackpool?

To go to Blarney would you go on the link to Ballincollig and out past the Angler's Rest or up through Sunday's Well/Shanakeel?

I'm open to trying new routes. I'm currently leaving at 7:15 to be there for 9. Although I'm there about 8:30. Leaving any later means cutting it very tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

If you go out past the angler's rest and turn right to head back towards shanakeel, the first left takes you uphill along a very narrow road past a graveyard. I don't really know the area well enough to direct you from there but iirc you turn right at the end of that road it takes you to the Mallow road. It's a fairly well known short cut so hopefully someone on here will give better directions.

Advertisement