Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

At least it not a cold winter morning ergo LSD...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

:mad: Head Cold :mad: an icky gooey sneezy one :mad:

Its going to be an evening on the couch in front of the fire. Catch up on study I suppose... Really lacking any kind of rhythm in training recently. Since College got 3 times as busy in the last few weeks my training plan has gone out the window and now I find myself training day by day. Diet gone out the window too, today I actually went and got 2 chocolate bars even though I have an apple, a banana and an orange sitting on my desk. Need to get my act together!

Ok , lately its feels like my training has been coming apart at the seams. The quality of the winter training is ensuring the stats are progressing in the right direction however, I needed to rethink my plan as the last one went out the window weeks ago for a number of reasons.

Mistake 1. The training plan was too rigid. In my rowing days sticking to a plan was easy. It was set by the coach and progress monitored by the coach. You just went with the flow and the flow lead to to your goal. Now, I have a lot more responsibilies (cannot train Tue, Thu, Fri evenings and I have to have a babysitter to train at weekends) and I'm self coached so a programme really has to suit my lifestyle. Having a rigid programme often feels like you 'have' to get all of thes sessions done.
    Solution. Create a more simple flexible progamme to suit Lifestyle

Mistake 2. Approach to events. Last year I just ran 2 Marathons and I even got one of these wrong. So far this year I've done a 5mile, 2 Duathlons and a 10k. I have 5 events (2 10k, a Duathlon, my first sprint Tri and my first Olympic Tri) in the next 8 weeks. The problem was that I was adapting the training week to suit the event and as a result the training was becoming ad hoc, losing structure and losing overall focus on the main goals for this year. If I continued with this approach I'd get no long bike or long run sessions done and though I may get good results in shorter events, my endurance would suffer and leave me with too much to do for my biggest goal of the year.
    Solution. Since I have already achieved my 10k goal for this year, I will approach shorter events as quality speed sessions and incorporate them into the training week rather than separating them. My most important sessions of the week will be the long run and long bike. My focus will be primarily on endurance rather than speed. The next milestone for me will be the Joey Hannon Olympic Triathlon and so training will all focus towards that.

Mistake 3. Discipline. As most of my 1-1.5 hour sessions are done m-f before work I need to be up and organised. Lately I've been getting to bed late and eating late. In turn swithching off the snooze button and missing sessions. This would have me feeling annoyed with myself during the day and likely to push the next session too hard to make up for it. Counter productive. After a good winter's training this is the area that is killing me right now. Time management. College is also really drawing a lot of time too. I've also noticed I tend to be 'just on time' for work lately rather than early. When I train early, I'm early for work. Less Stress. More stress leads to snacking on munchies late at night. Its a counter productive cycle.
    Solution. Hit the sack earlier. Again its the cycle. If I get up and train early morning I'm more likely to be tired earlier and go to bed earlier and thus not eat so late at night either :)

So to hopefully keep the training consistent and progressive.

Monday
    AM: Swim session set by a Coach 2-3k
    PM: Long slow run 10m+ at Marathon pace plus 30 seconds

Tuesday
    AM: Bike 90 mins focus on 40k sub 1'15' split

Wednesday
    AM: Strength and Conditioning
    PM: Easy 40 min run followed by Coached tecnical swim session

Thursday
    AM: Track intervals e.g 2m warm up, 5*1k sub 3'50", 2m cool down

Friday
    AM: Swim session set by a Coach 2-3k or 1 hour easy continuous swim

Saturday/Sunday
    Long bike plus 5k run off bike
    and/or
    Race
    or
    REST

A bit of a long post but needed to see it write it up to stick to it :D
    Also, If I have missed anthying or overlooked something obvious I'm open to any suggestions!

Cycling 47km. Went though 40k in about 1'20' which was poor enough. Legs just didn't have any power and I had a continuous pain of some sort from the inside of my left thigh down to my left knee. I probably need to have the bike set up looked at. Anyway I was winding down to an easy spin after 43k when some scumbags though it would be funny to run me off the road into a ditch :mad::mad: I heard noises and a car slowing behind me and by the time I turned my head I had beer thrown at me and the car swerved to make contact and knock me off. Thankfully I landed in a ditch. It was pitch dark and they tore off shouting and laughing. I picked myself up muddy but uninjured and proceed gingerly home. About a minute later a squad car passed. I waved and tried to get his attention and saw that he pulled into a driveway ahead. I followed him in until he stopped and rolled down the window. I told him I was knocked off the road by some drunk drivers and told him what road they were on and asked him to radio it in. He looked at me blankly and asked "do you know if the car was stolen?". I said "What? No, I don't! Can you just radio it in?". He replied with another question "did you get the reg?". I said "No! It was pitch dark and they knocked me off the bike, they were drinking and dangerous driving!!". Next to my astonishment he said "well I didn't here anything about a stolen car on the radio...". Ok, I realise he was maybe just finished work and I was some random angry cyclist in his driveway... but OMG less than useless :mad::mad::mad:

Needless to say this particular cycle left me reeling :mad: Please excuse the rant!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭DAVE_K

that's poor form.....but hey at least you weren't injured.

You're new schedule looks good. Will your legs be in good enough shape Tuesday morning for your cycle after your long run Monday night?

What do you do on your AM strength and conditioning (mostly upper body stuff and core??) If you think you might still have tired legs Tuesday morning you could flip Tuesday and Wednesday morning so the legs would get a good working Monday night, upper body and core Tuesday morning, 90 minute cycle Wednesday morning (legs again), your easy 40 min run on Wednesday night to loosen up the legs and then your swim afterwards................I'm only saying this from personal experience cos I've found the mornings after my long run (in the evening) to be still a bit fatigued.

I debated the very same thing with myself about Tuesday and Wednesday morning! Yep you are right, the AM S&C is upper+core. I see the bike as more important that the S&C so I put it into Tuesday AM for the simple reason that Tuesday is my longest day. After work I'm straight into College and usually home by 10.30-11 ish. If there was ever a morning where I was not going to get up it would be Wednesday morning. Hence I'd rather miss the S&C than the bike. Its a good point though DAVE_K and I'll sit loose in the saddle on this one. If the legs are wrecked after Monday night I'll just switch Tue AM with Wed AM.

• Advertisement

Swim this morning

100m*5 warmup easy
    (300m/200m/100m)*3 off 5'40, 3'50 and 2'. Didn't do last 100
    50m*8 sprints ... eh if I remembered technique for even one stroke in these I was doing ok!
    100m swim down

2,700m total. Wrecked but feeling better :confused::D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

MCOS - You were lucky those arze wipes didn't injure you and take you out of action for a while.
    Sometimes I get pied off with these kind of smart arses when I encounter them. I think they are lucky not be too close as they would be on the receiving end of a mighty flaking. The adrenaline is already flowing freely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Jaysus MCOS, you've had some week of it - a cold, a eureka moment that your training plan needs to be adjusted and getting knocked down by a shower of muppets. The stories you hear and comments that people make when people are out training never ceases to amaze me. There are some very stupid and ignorant people living in this fair isle of ours! Thank your lucky stars that you weren't injured. Sounds like things are back on track based on your swim set this morning.

Nearly got ploughed down by a car with screaming travellers hanging out the windows today as they followed 2 horse & race trap yokes out the airport road in Galway. Never a dull moment!! :D

Thanks Guys. Limerick is going to have a lot more heads with nothing better to do this summer... the joys!

@Abhainn, nothing would have given me greater pleasure than to rip them out of the car window. Instead one of my feet was still clipped into the pedal and my head was in the ditch!

@pgibbo, I've seen that very same type of procession down the N20 before christmas. They were travelling slow enough for me to draft for about 6k with 2 fellas cheering me on out the back of a Range Rover!

Hopefully I won't have a week like it anytime again soon. I usually set myself small training goals each month and its no suprise to me I missed them all last month. This month its to get at least 300k on the bike, do a timed 500m in the pool (ahead of first sprint Tri) current pb set in November should go easily, do at least 1 set of 1k repeats on the track and improve my second run on the last Duathlon by practicing running off the bike. Looking forward to getting back into a rhythm now :)

Cycling 81km nice fresh morning and by fresh I mean windy! good stretches of hard work at times. Just over 2.5 hours average speed 32km/h. Feeling much better today. Took a recovery shake afterwards. Going to use them after long cycles and long runs. Got measured up and fit for my bike set up afterwards. Turns out I had done a reasonably decent job of it myself. Dropped my handlebars right down to accommodate the Tri bars. Straightened the seat too (which was more than likely the cause of the pain last time).

• Advertisement

Bike 50km 1'26'22" average speed 34.7km/h
    Run 5km 20'42" average pace 6'39"/mile
    transition was about 90 seconds

Brick session to work on the run. Pushed the bike hard to get the desired effect. Went through 40k in 1'08' which was my fastest time for that. Legs were like jelly off the bike and for the first km or so. Lungs were ok though so once settled it was just about working hard with burning quads. Tough session but very enjoyable.

Swim this morning.

50m*16 with first 15m kick
    400m*3 in about 7'30 each
    200m*3 fell behind the group on these

2,600m total. Tired this morning and had to work much harder than usual. By the time we got to 200s I was spent and so grabbed an early shower.

9.5 miles easy up around Keeper Hill in Tipp. Beautiful run. Had to stop and take in the view a couple of times.

Cycling today 67km average speed 31.6km/h. Lovely sunny day but quite windy on the main roads. Legs need a day off now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Just catching up with your log. Really like your plan, you seem very focused and the solutions look good.
    Sorry to hear about the incident with the scumbags, nothing worse, wasters is all and I wouldn't give them anymore thought.
    Best of luck with the new schedule

S&C quick session, giving the legs a break

Bench Press kg/rep 60/10, 70/5, 60/8, 70/4, 60/6, 70/3, 60/4, 70/2
    Chin Ups 10,8,6,4,2
    Shoulder Press 18kg db, 12,10,8,6
    DB row 28kg db, 10,10,10 each arm
    Core exercises 7 variations.
    Weight check 78.1kg but I was hungry and thirsty.

3 miles easy last night to loosen the legs.

Swim session with Club
    50m*9 off 55" was barely making the time on these
    150m*2 off 2'45"
    25m*12 technical off 40" next variation called before I even got to the wall
    50m*8 on various breathing routines
    100m races*2 lost both in 1'28 and 1'38. Waaay off the last time. Stamina was just not there. Lost power from about 75 on the first and just had none at all on the second. Really struggled with energy tonight.

Jaded this morning so didn't get up for the intervals on the track. Taking the day off to feed myself properly and get some strength back. Been a heavy week in every sense of the word.

This mornings swim was such a non event that I nearly forgiot to post it... too busy reading the buzz in other logs :D

Got to the pool late so just 300m easy warm up
    500m/400m/300m/200m/100m and they had me leading (was not in the mood) no idea what times were but a couple of quick glances I think about 1'50 ish pace
    50m*4 sinking and gulping water 'catch up' drills

2,000m total. Stamina was just not good nor were the lungs. Swimming is suffering at the moment, not sure whats up. Maybe its just that the Tri sessions are pretty much on my pb pace every time... 100s during the week though were sh!te. Ah well, have a TT coming up in the pool again soon and that will tell me where I'm at :confused:

Saturday: Plassey 10k 38'57" (provisional). Decided I was going for sub 39' and am delighted to get it on the back of a difficult week. Personal Best again! Ran it with --amadeus-- who was a good pacing buddy to have on the day. He left me to chase some rival of his (and got him!) with 1.5k to go, I was suffering at the time but managed to finish strong reeling people in. Decent course and nice atmosphere on the day. A little frenetic for me at the start. I was late and had to run 1.5 miles quickly from the car to the race. Run back to the car not so quickly meant 9.2 miles total :)

Sunday: Cycling 100km average speed 31km/h. 3hrs 13 mins total. Did about 55km with a group which was slow and steady to start and then belted back in the main road with a tailwind. Decided to do another hour of work most of the hour was back into the headwind and harder work than I anticipated. happy to get a long spin in.

This morning: Swim down at the Arena. Missed the warm up.
    400m/200m*2/100m*4
    400m/200m*2/100m*3
    2,300m total. Had to work my ass off to keep up. Not swimming well lately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

MCOS wrote: »
    Saturday: Plassey 10k 38'57" (provisional). Decided I was going for sub 39' and am delighted to get it on the back of a difficult week. Personal Best again! Ran it with --amadeus-- who was a good pacing buddy to have on the day. He left me to chase some rival of his (and got him!) with 1.5k to go, I was suffering at the time but managed to finish strong reeling people in. Decent course and nice atmosphere on the day. A little frenetic for me at the start. I was late and had to run 1.5 miles quickly from the car to the race. Run back to the car not so quickly meant 9.2 miles total :)

You ran really well at the weekend, especially considering all the circs. I needed the help for the middle 4k when I had a stitch - if it hadn't been for yourself and that other triathlete I would have probably backed off a bit.

Quick bit of feedback for you, if you don't mind? You need to watch your pace in the early stages of the race. In both the 2nd and 3rd k I asked you to watch the pace as you were speeding up. Even over 10k a few seconds too fast early on can bite you at the end (patience, young Padawan!). I also think you need to go back and look at your running goals. You are being far too soft on yourself - looking at the pace you ran on Saturday, the LSR pace you had pre Dublin 08 and the relative ease you are knocking the performances out with I would suggest that a sub 37 10k and a sub 3 marathon are easily in your reach. Have you ever had your VO2 max tested? Based on your background I would guess it's quite high and so that will stand to you, especially over shorter races.

Other than that thanks for pacing me along, much appreciated! I'll dig out those times you were looking for later but official results will be up later today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

Well done again on your time in the Plassey 10k ;)

• Advertisement

Jaysus MCOS - another PB. Awesome stuff. I think --amadeus-- has you pegged. Time to get harded on yourself! :D Seriously though - congrats. That's a savage time

Quick bit of feedback for you, if you don't mind? You need to watch your pace in the early stages of the race. In both the 2nd and 3rd k I asked you to watch the pace as you were speeding up. Even over 10k a few seconds too fast early on can bite you at the end (patience, young Padawan!). I also think you need to go back and look at your running goals. You are being far too soft on yourself - looking at the pace you ran on Saturday, the LSR pace you had pre Dublin 08 and the relative ease you are knocking the performances out with I would suggest that a sub 37 10k and a sub 3 marathon are easily in your reach. Have you ever had your VO2 max tested? Based on your background I would guess it's quite high and so that will stand to you, especially over shorter races.

I don't mind at all Master OBI-ONE much appreciated in fact:D Yep, I have a blot to learn about pacing. I generally just check my time at markers to see if I'm on track. In between I tend to focus on people and chase them. I do feel inside that I have some good runs in there waiting to be discovered but I must first earn them with lots of quality structured training. I'm still a running novice! With you on hand I paced this much better than Adare so thats progress too. To think from start to finish we weren't passed by anyone... thats a first for me! Nope no idea what my VO2 max is. Also, I wouldn't say than I'm knocking these times out with ease... did you see how red my face was at the end :confused: ? Definitely running with more experienced runners is a way to learn so I may look you up from time to time for a session!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

MCOS wrote: »
    I don't mind at all Master OBI-ONE much appreciated in fact:D Yep, I have a blot to learn about pacing. I generally just check my time at markers to see if I'm on track. In between I tend to focus on people and chase them. I do feel inside that I have some good runs in there waiting to be discovered but I must first earn them with lots of quality structured training. I'm still a running novice! With you on hand I paced this much better than Adare so thats progress too. To think from start to finish we weren't passed by anyone... thats a first for me! Nope no idea what my VO2 max is. Also, I wouldn't say than I'm knocking these times out with ease... did you see how red my face was at the end :confused: ? Definitely running with more experienced runners is a way to learn so I may look you up from time to time for a session!

I don't think you have as much to learn about pacing as you think. You're a competitive fella though and I think patience rather than pace is the key - as you say it'll come with experience.

Red faced? I was too busy picking my own lungs off the floor to notice your face :D What I meant is that you're knocking out tidy PBs without focussing on running, they are coming easily too you.

I'd be up for a couple of sessions, we'll be running at abouty the same training pace for autumn races I would imagine. Now if you'll excuse me I must go polish my light sabre (o er missus!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Congrats on the superb pb ;)
    Just wondering if your still interested in the Cork relay, I was unable to send you a pm.

Woddle wrote: »
    Congrats on the superb pb ;)
    Just wondering if your still interested in the Cork relay, I was unable to send you a pm.

Hi Woddle thanks. I'm available for the relay but I have my first Olympic open water Triathlon the previous day in Kildare so I'm not really sure how I'll be fixed for it after that. I may be biting off more than I can chew. I'll keep an eye on the thread though and if there are odd numbers I might hop into a team.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭papamike

Great stuff on another PB MCOS. Seems like there are a few more in you before the year is out.

Probably a bit soon to notice but do you think that your re-evaluaton a couple of weeks ago made a big difference?

Also I see you do quite a bit of weight training and core work and do you think this also has been beneficial to yourself this year or was this something you always did?

papamike wrote: »
    Probably a bit soon to notice but do you think that your re-evaluaton a couple of weeks ago made a big difference?

Hi papmike, I had to make a re-evaluation for all sorts of reasons as life situations were changing too. To be honest I was saying to --amadeus-- on Saturday that I'm suprised with my running results since I am doing no speedwork and very little mileage the last few weeks :confused: I think the main difference is I am looking at quality over quantity ie cutting out junk miles that have no specific purpose. For example I wanted to do a 10 mile run after work last night but I felt like muck. Sinus totally blocked so I just didn't run. I'm learning to listen to my body.
    papamike wrote: »
    Also I see you do quite a bit of weight training and core work and do you think this also has been beneficial to yourself this year or was this something you always did?

The weight training is just 4 upper body exercise and some core once a week. I feel it complements the swimming and running respectively. Weight training is something I used to do regularly years ago but for about 16 months after I took up running I did no weights. One day last summer I got on the floor and struggled badly to do 50 push ups so I figured I needed to get at least one upper body session in the week!

S&C

Chin Ups 14,12,10,7,6 arms pretty wrecked after these (increased reps)
    Shoulder Press 18kg db 14,10,6,2
    DB row 26kgdb 8,8,8 left and right continuous
    Dips 10,10, failed on the 3rd set

5 mile run on indoor track easy incl 12*60m strides about 39 mins total.

15 mins Core 8 varations, abs, obliques and dorsal

50mins spinning class, been a while since I did one of these. Tough and sweaty!

Well after taking about 4 days off organising Life I'm back training as Triathlons approach ever so near....

Sunday: Limerick Duathlon #3. Despite the wind about 150 hardy souls showed up yesterday morning. I was running late and so didn't get to wander around mingling as I like to do. It was straight to business, assemble and rack the bike, register, change and line up! I wasn't sure how I felt after a few days off but as it turns out quite fresh. I didn't fly off on the first run like the last 2 as I figured the bike leg would be tough and it was indeed. I had a decent first transition although I was later to discover I had wasted time by not having the shoes clipped to the bike already :confused: The journey out to Ballyneety was hard work so I just got stuck in and made up a few places. I passed the leading lady (a sight for sore eyes on approach!) just before the turn around but was sure the TT bikes I had passed were going to fly past me with the tail wind on the return leg. Not to be! I was slow as usual though approaching and getting through T2 and lost a few places again. The leading lady (Aileen Morrison) flew past me out of T2 as if I was standing still and proceed to hare down the road to a new course record. She looks fab and I really hope she makes it to London 2012. I was delighted to report no cramps on the second run but I didn't have the gas to make up any ground. Finished in 54'58" and about 15th or so which I'm very pleased with. I'll update with results later. Now that the Duathlons are done its full steam ahead for a Triathlon! :)

This morning: Swim at the Arena
    700m warm up
    300m*2 off 5'40-5'50 ish
    200m*3 off 3'50
    100m*6 off 1'55 goggles broke so I had to play catch up. no rest for me
    300m + 200m fell off the pace a bit on these

3,000m total. Decent swim but tired after 2k or so

• Advertisement

Well done on another solid race performance. Did you get in to Kilkee? I missed out again. :(

Advertisement