Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

At least it not a cold winter morning ergo LSD...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

I sure did, was ready and waiting! Freaking a bit when I saw no link and my brother and I were searching all kinds of sites looking for the race link. Eventually popped up on Active Europe at 6 on the money and all place were gone in about 12 minutes :eek: As far as I know there are more places up on April 25th so you need to be ready if you really want to do this one. Its going to be super crack down there that weekend methinks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

MCOS congrats on the 10k PB and another great duathlon performance.
    Your in great shape

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

Well done on your Duathlon time ;)

10 miles on a lovely evening at about 7'50 pace. Could feel the race in my legs so took it easy. Core afterwards, 8 variations. Today is looking like an unscheduled rest day as I slept through the Alarm this morning and have College after work

Results of Duathlon. 14th, 54'58" Run1 14'02" (28) Bike 25'50" (12) Run 2 15'06" (21). Overall I'm happy out with the series of Duathlons and I learned something from each of them... mostly about how much I'm delighted I found this sport!

Tuesday: Off - unscheduled rest day.

Wednesday: 11miles over new route (I moved) in 1'19'15 average 7'12"/mile. Tough run on a good hilly route (makes my last hilly route seem like gentle undulations!). Some nice views on the route too. One hill in particular is so steep id say you are jogging slower than a walking pace at the crest and your heart is pounding through your chest. No joke its like the middle 300m of Paddy's hill in Cork! Took a recovery shake after this run.

Swim with the Club.
    200m warm up
    1,000m Time Trial. 17'56". I was swimming well until I decided to kick for home with 150m to go. As soon as I did the toes and calves cramped up :cool: (I'm sure it was due to those hills earlier in the day!). Still though I was happy to come within 6 seconds of my pb having to pull up twice and not being able to kick off the wall for the last few lengths :)
    25m*12 drills

1,500m total.

This Morning: S&C session.
    3 miles easy warm up at 8' pace. Legs feeling the run yesterday.
    Bench Press kg/rep 60/12, 70/6, 60/10, 70/5, 60/8, 70/4, 60/6, 70/3 felt stronger so this is improving.
    Chin Ups 10,8,6,4
    DB row 32kg db 6, 6, 6
    Core 7 variations
    Weight Check 77.9kg (from 83kg in December) on target and without loss in strength. (Target was 77kg by Joey Hannon)

Just 15 days to my first Sprint Triathlon :D
    Just 30 days to my first Olympic Triathlon :D

• Advertisement

Swim this morning.

600m warm up
    150m*8 off 2'50
    50m*4 flat out off 1'30
    150m*8 off 2'55

3,200m total.. good session overall and my longest swim session to date :)

Saturday: Scheduled Rest Day. Beers watching the match and late night.

Sunday: Great Ireland Run 10k, 39'17". Not too bad considering I wasn't exactly feeling fantastic! Went out a bit too fast in the first 5k but then I wasn't expecting the increased difficulty of the 2nd 5k. 4k marker was out of position too. I didn't really push myself on the hilly bits (didn't have the legs to) and lost some time as a result there. Wasn't mad about this event, all hype and a long day for just a 10k. About 9 miles total with warm up and cool down.

This morning: Swim session
    500m warm up doing those dreaded catch ups
    (300m/3*100m/6*50m)*2
    Got a cramp in the calf when I kicked off the wall for a 3rd set so just did 200m easy swim down.
    2,600m total.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

MCOS wrote: »
    Great Ireland Run 10k, 39'17".

Well done!

8 days to my first sprint Triathlon :eek:
    22 days to my first Olympic Triathlon :D

Tuesday: Unscheduled day off - College assignment work had to take a priority

Wednesday: Spent the whole day in work just itching to get out and do my new cycle route!
    Cycling 40km average speed 30.2km/h, 1'19'22". Now this route was just up and down constant hills and a very decent workout. Its a shot from Newport to Nenagh 20k out and back in Tipp. Its tough and the roads are horrible. The decents are short enough but hitting 65-70km/h into a headwind had my eyes watering! Climbing the same hills are very slow. One in particular reduced me to 10-12km/h for about 10 mins and I was working hard and breathing hard to sustain that! For some sadistic reason this is my new favourite session! Had to work my cotton socks off to get under 1'20' :D

Swim Session coached. Discovered my right arm was pulling across my body which, coupled with mostly breathing to the left, explains why I have a variety of grazes down the right side of my body from swimming on top of the lane ropes :rolleyes: Spent the whole session bi lateral breathing which had me swimming in a straighter line and evened my pace out. Really need to practice this more though.
    Warm up 50m*14 off 55" the last few were off 60"
    Main set 100m*17 off 1'50-1'55. 1'55 was ok but I was barely making the RT on 1'50
    2,400m total, good session because I learned something about my stroke

This morning: Treadmill (didn't fancy the wind and rain) 6 miles easy at 8'/mile. Core work, 8 variations of 15-30 reps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Discovered my right arm was pulling across my body which, coupled with mostly breathing to the left, explains why I have a variety of grazes down the right side of my body from swimming on top of the lane ropes :rolleyes:

LOL

I do the exact same thing except with my left arm and breathing to the right! I didn't realise how bad it was until I saw it on video. Like yourself I really need to spend time on bi-lateral breathing.

Amazing how fast your races have come around.

That sounds like one nasty new cycle route that you have found! No doubt it will stand to you as most tri routes are supposed to be relatively flat. :D

Must be great to be running sub 40 with ease for 10k races. Well done.

• Advertisement

pgibbo wrote: »
    LOL

Amazing how fast your races have come around.

That sounds like one nasty new cycle route that you have found! No doubt it will stand to you as most tri routes are supposed to be relatively flat. :D

Must be great to be running sub 40 with ease for 10k races. Well done.

Tell me about it, how time flies by! I think thats why I 'like' the new cycle route, it might just make the 40k of a triathlon feel easier by comparison.

Whats your first race this year and how are you set?

There's a series of 5k runs coming up in Galway that I am signed up for - starts April 28th & there's 1 a week for 6 weeks. I am going to use these as training runs so not really classing them as races. Hoping to go sub 20 all the same. :D

My first tri is Ballina on July 11th & then Carna on the 25th. Plenty of time for me! :cool: I was thinking of trying to get in to Kilkee too but I reckon 3 triathlons in 6 weeks would be just biting off more than I can chew. Plus the OH would not be too happy either! :p Training is going well but as you might see from here I was a bit concerned of overdoing it. However, after reading the link I think I am grand.

Interesting thread there, I must have a browse. As for over doing it, disruptions is sleeping patterns and moods are a good sign of the body needing rest.

I reckon you are grand also. The body needs time to adapt to a new training regime or a new session. For example I had planned a track session this morning but after that hilly bike yesterday I decided on doing an easy run instead. 2-3 doubles in a week? Does that mean you are doing 8-10 sessions in a week? Jaysus you will hand me my @ss on a plate at Carna (which I entered) if thats the rate you are going at ;) Kilkee wouldn't be too bad as you will have a break, sprint, break between the 2 Olympic Tris. Once I've Carna done I'll be spending 7 weeks focusing on base endurance again for the Lost Sheep.

Interesting thread there, I must have a browse. As for over doing it, disruptions is sleeping patterns and moods are a good sign of the body needing rest.

I reckon you are grand also. The body needs time to adapt to a new training regime or a new session. For example I had planned a track session this morning but after that hilly bike yesterday I decided on doing an easy run instead. 2-3 doubles in a week? Does that mean you are doing 8-10 sessions in a week? Jaysus you will hand me my @ss on a plate at Carna (which I entered) if thats the rate you are going at ;) Kilkee wouldn't be too bad as you will have a break, sprint, break between the 2 Olympic Tris. Once I've Carna done I'll be spending 7 weeks focusing on base endurance again for the Lost Sheep.

One would think that if you were over doing you would sleep more and not have interrupted sleep! :D Good job I am not a coach...LOL

Although my sessions have increased to 8 or 9 per week they are not all targeted at triathlon training. Karate is my first love and gets my priority. Last week was a good week training wise as my OH was away with work. Hence I got 2 Karate sessions, 2 runs, 2 swims & 2 good cycles in last week and 1 core session. If I could keep something similar to that going forward I will be in good shape alright come Carna. No chance of handing you your @ss on a plate though. Your splits for all 3 events are too far ahead of mine. Next year hopefully! :D

I have to say I love the training at the moment and the variety is great. Time is a killer though... :)

MCOS are you planning any OW swims as part of your preperation for the tri's?

And I'm researching wet suits at the moment. (Used my scuba diving shortie wetsuit last year which was totally inadequate.) Any recommendations? Looking at:
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/triathlon/10/2XU_Mens_C2_Wetsuit/5360035382/
    is a good price but of course my size out of stock.

Abhainn wrote: »
    MCOS are you planning any OW swims as part of your preperation for the tri's?

And I'm researching wet suits at the moment. (Used my scuba diving shortie wetsuit last year which was totally inadequate.) Any recommendations? Looking at:
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/triathlon/10/2XU_Mens_C2_Wetsuit/5360035382/
    is a good price but of course my size out of stock.

I bought an entry level Zoot last year and found it great. I am planning on using it again this year.
    I am not sure where you are located Abhainn but Galway tri club have a vendor (Blue Seventy) doing a wetsuit trial session in Galway in May. It's posted in their forum. Perhaps a club local to you will have something similar going. Worst case you can find out your size for a brand and pick up cheaper online. They may even be discounted if they are being bought direct from the vendor???

Thanks pgibbo. Yes online seems way cheaper than local sources sadly

Abhainn wrote: »
    Thanks pgibbo. Yes online seems way cheaper than local sources sadly

Hi Abhainn

One of the lads in the Tri club suggested that I try a few wetsuits on in the shop and get an idea of my size and fit or even pick one out and then order it online cheaper.

Checking out wetsuits myself. I could make any recommendations as I've never even worn a wetsuit apart from diving. I'm going to get one soon though and I have to keep price in mind as I have a budget that also needs to stretch to a Tri top and racing belt :( I'll rreport back on the wetsuit I get

As for OW swims I think the club do a couple of sessions in Kilkee Bay before Kilkee itself. I have TriAthy before that so I need to suss out an OW session before that myself.

14 miles over hills today at 7'47"/mile. First LSR in a while. Felt great due to being off with Life stuff the last couple of days which resulted in going out too fast for LSR. After remembering reading that great thread in the main Forum I eased back the pace and found a nice rhythm. It felt easy too except for the 'hill'. 2 miles ascending something that will have me in great shape for the next time I meet the hell of the west in the Connemarathon :D I was happy with the self awareness to hold back on this run. Legs had to work hard enough on hills without having pace to deal with too. Did a job on all that chocolate consumed too...

Cycling 61km average speed 31.1km/h, 1'57' total. Felt like there was a headwind no matter which way I faced :rolleyes:

Swimming 1,000m.
    10*100m off 2'. Averaged about 1'45/1'46 for reps. I just wanted to get a feel for the pace I'll swim the Triathlon swim at the weekend. Intended more but the pool closed early.

• Advertisement

Last night: 11 miles at about 7'40"/mile. Tired towards the end of this, but it was 10pm and so the latest I've been out running. Legs are slow adapting to new running route. I think its the sharp descents on hills that are tiring the quads out.

This morning: S&C session.
    Shoulder press 16kg db, 12,12,12
    Bench press 60kg, 10,10,10
    Chin ups, 8,8,8
    Dips 12,12
    Db row 24kg, 10,10,10 l&r
    2 miles easy - legs tired, just to loosen up for a stretch
    Core - half hearted 10 mins

Took the session easy this morning as I wasn't switched on at all.

**vanity alert**

Ok, at Christmas I was about 83-84kg. This has been gradually dropping and I had been making decent food choices, diet was fresh and decent. Jumped on the scale at 77.9kg 2 weeks ago and was happy with that. I had aimed for 77kg by Joey Hannon on 3rd May so it seemed I was on course. Purely to increase power/weight ratio for the Bike and to not have too many soft bits in a Tri top (I tried one on recently and they are not forgiving of the pie eating cookie munching types!). Anyway, checked again at alunch time and I was 79+kg :( Very annoyed with myself and I know it has been a combination of unsheduled days off and comfort eating over the last 2 weeks. My main meals are fresh and good. I eat plenty of fruit. Its the snacking thats killing me. I'm a biscuit/chocoholic! I NEED to find tasty calorific, low GI alternatives...

**self administered boot in the arse.... again :o**

Club Swim session

400m warm up
    50m*14 off 55"
    100m*7 off 1'502 - 1'55"
    50m*14 off 55"
    100m swim down

2,300m total. Good swim. Held my repeat times comfortably and focused on bi lateral rhythm and length of stroke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭DAVE_K

good luck at the weekend MCOS. I'm not on here a lot these days so mightn't get another chance. You've put the work in (and then some!!!!) so a good performance is on the cards no doubt :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

**vanity alert**

Its the snacking thats killing me. I'm a biscuit/chocoholic!

**self administered boot in the arse.... again :o**

I hear ya brother.........:o

Last night: Cycling TT league. 18.4k in 30'02", average about 36.5 km/h. Happy enough with the result but I know I can go better. It was windy and I was in too high a gear. I noticed that the 2 guys who flew passed me were in much higher revs than me. Lesson learned. I think I may have tired the legs too early with this approach. I need to work on speed on the bike so this league should help.

This morning: Swimming
    500m easy
    500m timed in 9'03" hoping to go a little faster than this tomorrow.
    500m easy

1,500m total. I had set my swim target at 9 mins for the triathlon tomorrow so I was happy with the practice run this morning. At last, 24 hours to my first Triathlon :D

Well done on the TT. At least you are learning from all the events you are doing. This will really stand to you as the eason progresses.

Sounds like things are shaping up really well for tomorrow. Best of luck with it. Not that you will need luck.

Oh yeah, enjoy it. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭ladytri

MCOS-
    Best of luck tomorrow, your log makes for great reading and you sound like you're in super shape!
    Looking forward to reading your race report!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

best of luck mcos , knock em dead , i am sure you will play a stormer

• Advertisement

DAVE_K wrote: »
    good luck at the weekend MCOS. I'm not on here a lot these days so mightn't get another chance. You've put the work in (and then some!!!!) so a good performance is on the cards no doubt :)

Thanks DAVE_K. Hows the training coming along yourself? When is your first event?

Advertisement