Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

At least it not a cold winter morning ergo LSD...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

MCOS wrote: »
    Hi Seres,

I haven't used the turbo yet. Just put it together and tried to calibrate it on Saturday night. Don't think I have it calibrated accurately though so may have to mess around with it a bit before I get it right.

I cycled a few times last winter during mid week in the dark wind and rain which was not nice, I just couldn't get free on weekends. However I remember a cycle on Christmas eve I think it was where I finished work early and went out for 40km hard on a cold but perfectly still dry day and had a great cycle. I plan to cycle a lot more this winter than I did last winter...
    how did you manage in the dark ?, even with bike lights i dont think i would risk it !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

Hi Seres,

I haven't used the turbo yet. Just put it together and tried to calibrate it on Saturday night. Don't think I have it calibrated accurately though so may have to mess around with it a bit before I get it right.

I cycled a few times last winter during mid week in the dark wind and rain which was not nice, I just couldn't get free on weekends. However I remember a cycle on Christmas eve I think it was where I finished work early and went out for 40km hard on a cold but perfectly still dry day and had a great cycle. I plan to cycle a lot more this winter than I did last winter...

I'm considering a turbo myself this winter, sounds like torture though. I'll be interested to see how you find it. The alternative for me will be laps of the bypass doing intervals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

Seres wrote: »
    how did you manage in the dark ?, even with bike lights i dont think i would risk it !
    Quiet roads, good light and hi vis jacket. Only do short spins of an hour or so in the dark.
    showry wrote: »
    I'm considering a turbo myself this winter, sounds like torture though. I'll be interested to see how you find it. The alternative for me will be laps of the bypass doing intervals.
    The one I got was This Turbo and from just sitting on it and calibrating it seems sturdy enough and not too loud (would wake someone up though!)
    Doubt I'll even use it between now and Kenmare as there is still enough light to get out and I'll be tapering soon enough

4.5 mile warm up (a bit long but I was early), 10*80seconds on Track. 1.5 mile gentle cool down, 30 mins Pilates.

Legs were wrecked from all the cycling over the last week. First 3 reps were just over 400m but quads were just not open for business so I did the rest relatively easy. Upper body is missing swimming....:(

Last Week Summary
    10-16 Aug|Swim|Bike|Run|Other

total distance|0km :(|236km :)|28miles :cool:|
    session #1||46km hills|5m inc 4@PMP|Pilates
    session #2||60km inc 15kTT|6m inc track 5*800|
    session #3||130km long n hilly|10m LSR|
    session #4|||7m inc 4@PMP|

Yesterday: 57km bike. Easy for first 20km. 15km TT was tough into a strong blustery wind. Improved time to 25'06 avg 35.9 km/h which is perhaps a sign my fitness is returning. Steady state for the last 20km.

Today: 8 miles on the treadmill. 3 @8'/mile and 5 at 7'13"/mile pace which is approx Marathon Pace. Really uncertain about holding this pace on the day but I'll decide after Kenmare. Improving though.

Summary
    17-23 Aug|Swim|Bike|Run|Other
    total distance|0km v annoying!|97km |16.5miles |
    session #1||30km Hills on mtb|8.5m inc track 10*80"|Pilates
    session #2||57km inc 15kTT|8m inc 5@PMP|
    session #3||||
    session #4||||

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

. 15km TT was tough into a strong blustery wind. Improved time to 25'06 avg 35.9 km/h .

Only in my dreams:(.

Good to see your form coming back

Well I'm not going to get any fitter unfortunately between now and Kenmare so I guess its time to sharpen up the nutrition plan, get some new brake pads for the bike etc.. Last week was supposed to be a heavy week but no swim again (a month now with no swimming!) and no long run again... sigh. At this stage I'll be delighted to finish Kenmare!

Saturday: Bike/Run Brick session. 85km on the bike. Hilly route with one long climb overall 2'47' and average about 30.4km/h. I didn't have the legs to go for much longer. 8km run off the bike with the first 3k uphill overall average 7'34"/mile pace but started out at 8 min+ pace. Warm day and I felt shattered afterwards. About 3.5 hours total. Kenmare will be closer to 6 hours :eek:

HR data
    Bike average 144, max 171 on a climb
    Run average 161, max 175 running down a hill

Sunday: Nada

Last Week Summary
    17-23 Aug|Swim :(|Bike :cool:|Run :(|Other
    total distance|0km v annoying!|172km |21.5miles |
    session #1||30km Hills on mtb|8.5m inc track 10*80"|Pilates
    session #2||57km inc 15kTT|8m inc 5@PMP|
    session #3||85km Hills|5m off bike|
    session #4||||

serious session there on saturday , picked the right day weather wise anyway , dont be too hard on yourself bout your prep for kenmare , you really have done as much as you could , keep the faith :)

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭ladytri

Hey MCOS
    Haven't been round these parts in a while, good to see you're getting back on form. Bike and run are looking great, swim will come so relax and enjoy the next couple of weeks before the 12th!

• Advertisement

Slow start to the week and I have limited opportunity to train this weekend.... Spent about 1'40' on the mtb last night cycling on hills. I was happily spinning away (trying to train my legs away from mashing) for the most part. Timed myself up a hill called the Step. 2.7km average gradient 11% with parts at 18%. It twists and turn too. Savage hill, I had to just stand up on the pedals and grind grind grind. Took just under 15 minutes to climb and I really wanted to get off at times. At the peak I just hung over the handlebars and admired the spectacular view of Keeper hill and the Silvermines. The walkers up there looked quite amused at my steaming panting state. Since getting a HRM last week the highest I've seen on it was 175 at the end of a hilly brick session at the weekend. It averaged 175 climbing this hill and peaked at 183! IIRC from my rowing days once my HR hit 190+ on a fitness test and I passed out so mid to high 180s is light headed territory for me. 3 thrilling minutes descending though... with cars and walkers on the hill I was thankful for hydraulic brakes. Doing a mtb session in the week really makes cycling much more enjoyable.... :)

The Week so far...
    24-30 Aug|Swim |Bike |Run |Other
    total distance|0km|37km |0miles |
    session #1||37km Hills on mtb||
    session #2||||
    session #3||||
    session #4||||

8 miles over new route (fewer aggressive dogs). Happy with the route though as its a gorgeous run right by the foot of the Silvermines. No HRM or watch splits as I intended to run as I feel and try to estimate the PMP pace naturally. Probably not the best idea as the route climbs slowly for 3 miles then sharply for about 0.5 mile before descending slowly to the origin. The overall pace was 7'21"/mile with the last mile at 6'55". It was shy of my PMP but after the first mile or so I felt pretty good and even felt stronger as the run went on. Killer of a run planned for this evening...

The Week so far...
    total distance|0km|37km |8miles |
    session #1||37km Hills on mtb|8m PMP-6sec|
    session #2||||
    session #3||||
    session #4||||

Yesterday: Back to Back hill runs total 18km. 1'19'15" Average HR 157, max 178
    8km mostly road and some gravel. About 150m of climbing. 39'30" average 7'54"/mile pace. Descent was a long straight on on road but I leaned back into it to ease the pace for a steady run.
    10km mountain run. Mostly fireroads. 290m climbing for first 5k up in 24'. Steady grinding work focusing on breathing. The view of the mountains with the mist closing in majestic. I didn't go the extra 2km to the top as it was loose gravel and with the mist I didn't want to risk running over slippery loose surface in the dark. It was my first hill run back after hurting my knee so kept the risk to a minimum. Started the descent easy but wasted no time in tearing into it. Flat out back down in 15'45 concentrating on a long soft stride. 10k in 39'45" which I was very pleased with average 6'22"/mile pace.

This Morning: 5 miles recovery at 8'34"/mile pace. Average HR 131. Legs feeling that 10k last night.

The Week so far...
    total distance|0km|37km |24.2miles |
    session #1||37km Hills on mtb|8m PMP-6sec|
    session #2|||11.2m Hill running|
    session #3|||5m Recovery|
    session #4||||

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

Nice work on yesterday's runs! How'd the knee by the way?

MrCreosote wrote: »
    Nice work on yesterday's runs! How'd the knee by the way?

Its ok, wound healing slowly though. Would you believe that when I got down the mountain and stopped running there was some sort of creature on the wound nibbling away at it! Yeah I was chuffed to go sub 40 on a mountain run!

Last night: 56 km mostly easy spinning on the bike. 15kmTT included in 24'53" average 36.2 km/h an improvement again which is quite satisfying as the outward leg was into a strong blustery NW wind and driving rain :)

This Morning: 6 miles on the treadmill as it was lashing outside. 2m at 8'/mile pace and 4m at 7'13"/mile pace which is approx PMP. Still really don't know about this pace for Dublin. It feels fine but maybe too ambitious to hold for 26.2

The Week so far...
    total distance|0km|93km |30.2miles |
    session #1||37km Hills on mtb|8m PMP+6sec|
    session #2||56km inc 15kmTT|11.2m Hill running|
    session #3|||5m Recovery|
    session #4|||6m inc 4@PMP|

• Advertisement

you seem to have upped the gears with regards the running ? when can you get back swimming? how long to kenmare ?

you seem to have upped the gears with regards the running ? when can you get back swimming? how long to kenmare ?

Hi Seres, yep I'm a bit more focussed on running now as I think I have about as much bike fitness as I'm going to get at this stage. Bike fitness will be a focus for the winter though. Also I'm concious of the fact that I have a Marathon to run in October and whilst its not a priority goal for me I'm not going to get on very well doing 20 miles a week. I was going to go swimming this morning but *sorry if grosse* The scab came off the knee last night and the wound oozed a bit. I'm hoping to get a swim on Monday morning just so August is not a total swimming write off. Kenmare is in 2 weeks :eek:

Saturday: 5k road race. Not exactly a specific 1/2IM prep and supposed to be a day off but it was a nice day and a local event so I headed down. About 200 in the race including walkers. Lovely course although windy with a long drag in the middle, it finishes at the entrance to an Abbey. The first km was fine but I kind of lost my mojo after that and rather plodded heavily home. I wasn't exactly switched on nor did I have a pep in my step. Finished a respectable 8th in 19'12" although the time wasn't anything to write home about. Since it was my first 5k however I'll take it as a pb to be attacked in the spring :)
    Sunday: 95km hilly hilly bike. The original plan was a 2 hour cycle and an hour of a run but this was the toughest cycle I've done to date and 'knowing' I could run afterwards was enough for me. Myself and a mate headed out. First hour was my idea so into the Silvermines we went. Next hour was his call and he brought me a challenging rolling trip to Sixmilebrige. On the way home we deceided to go up Gallows hill the hard way (there is side route and a direct one). This was a dubious decision as the top was hidden in a mist. The mist was both saturating and eerie. I was about 20 meters from the mast at the top before I saw it. The descent was hairy straight into a driving rain. I almost lost it on one bend as visibility was so poor. Note to self also that the bike was in dire need of maintenance. We agreed not to do another climb in the last 20k home although hills were unavoidable. 3'15' overall average about 29.4km/h. Legs feeling it this morning
    Last Weeks Summary

total distance|0km again! :(|188km :) |33.3miles :)|
    session #1||37km Hills on mtb|8m PMP+6sec|
    session #2||56km inc 15kmTT|11.2m Hill running|
    session #3||95km Hilly|5m Recovery|
    session #4|||6m inc [EMAIL="4@PMP"]4@PMP[/EMAIL]|
    session #5|||5k race

This Morning: Finally, a swim session yay! Well not really yay as I struggled big time :o
    800m warm up which felt like a session in itself
    100m*5 focusing on catch and pull
    50m sprint*6 at about 45-48secs
    200m*2 really struggling to keep pace on the first one and was toasted by the second.

2,000m total and I had to have a sit down afterwards! Unbelievable how my swimming fitness has dropped in just 5 weeks :eek:

That's a big week! You must be looking forward to the taper...

Nice time on the 5k as well.

10 sleeps left to Kenmare... last 'A' goal of the season :eek: I'll be finishing up this log too with the race report.
    Monday Evening: Club Aquathon. Short race but good to practice transition, specifically taking the wetsuit off, prior to Kenmare. It was strange putting the runners on wet feet but nice to run with fresh legs for a change. Had a good one, came 1st and picked up a nice New Balance Tech Tee. Tummy felt well dodgy as though I had swallowed too much of the river...
    Tuesday: Dodgy tummy was a bug, hence night of no sleep and general unpleasantness... Also no training. Went out to watch County TT champs and collected a nice prize for winning the Spring league :)
    The week so far...

total distance|2.75 km|0 km bike in for service |A whopping .. 1.3 miles!|
    session #1|2,000m sets||1.3m aquathon|
    session #2|750m OW aquathon|||
    session #3||||
    session #4||||

• Advertisement

You're collecting a nice set of prizes there! Maybe turning pro is the next step?!

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Poncherello

MCOS whats ur plan for the next 10 days before Kenmare ? I took your advice from Kenmare thread and cut back a bit on this week but still very uncertain about the whole tapering thing ... just doesnt feel right to do nothing next week !

MCOS whats ur plan for the next 10 days before Kenmare ? I took your advice from Kenmare thread and cut back a bit on this week but still very uncertain about the whole tapering thing ... just doesnt feel right to do nothing next week !

Something like this

Tonight: LSR 1.5-2hours
    Thurs am: Swim easy aerobic 1 hour(supposed to do ysterday but was sick.. just doing for confidence)
    Thurs pm: Bike 2 hours easy no hills (15km all out TT thrown in)
    Fri: 8 miles with 5 at race pace
    Sat: Off
    Sun: 1.5 hour bike inc one decent hill + 40 min run easy
    Mon: 1,000 OW swim
    Tue: very easy 30 min run
    Wed: pre noon 20 min swim/50 min bike/20 min run
    Thurs: Rest, travel, eat loads, sleep loads. check bike etc...
    Fri: 500m swim with 5*15sec/20 min bike with 5*15sec/10 min run with 5*15 sec
    Sat: RACE DAY!

By this stage the heavy work is done. Hills are done. Today and tomorrow are the last long workouts. Next week is very light with short sharp workouts to keep the body loose and ready. Focus will be on my race plan, nutrition plan, Sleeping, getting organised making a checklist etc... and basically getting myself in the mood for a great weekend :)

I know tapering is a weird place to be when you have put your body through so many long and tough workouts, however your body just needs fine tuning and rest. By thursday you should be absolutely bursting to get out the door ... you know then you are fired up and ready. Best of luck!

MrCreosote wrote: »
    You're collecting a nice set of prizes there! Maybe turning pro is the next step?!

I wish! I've had a satisfying first season so I'll take that whatever happens in Kenmare. After a holiday and the DM it will be back to the drawing board to figure out how I will step it up a notch next year

9 sleeps left to Kenmare... last 'A' goal of the season :eek:

8 miles last night, although I had intended 13. I forgot to pack socks and had my older runners in the bag. After about 6-7 miles I felt a blister forming which was heating up so had to bail out ofter another mile. Shame as I felt good and legs were somewhat fresh. 4 miles at 8'/mile and into PMP 7'15 pace for another 4. Hmm.. very slow start to the week

Opted for sleep this morning instead of swimming and feel better for it!
    The week so far...

total distance|2.75 km|0 km bike in for service |9.3 miles|
    session #1|2,000m sets||1.3m aquathon|
    session #2|750m OW aquathon||8m inc 4@PMP|
    session #3||||
    session #4||||

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Hey MCOS,
    How's the swimming going for you after the lay off? Are you doing Lough Key at the weekend?

Starting to get a bit worried about Kenmare myself now. 2 weeks in France was good but with limited training. Some good tough sessions though so not all bad. This week has been a disaster due to work and as you can see (nearly 3 in the morning and still at work) it's not getting any better! :eek:

pgibbo wrote: »
    Hey MCOS,
    How's the swimming going for you after the lay off? Are you doing Lough Key at the weekend?

Starting to get a bit worried about Kenmare myself now. 2 weeks in France was good but with limited training. Some good tough sessions though so not all bad. This week has been a disaster due to work and as you can see (nearly 3 in the morning and still at work) it's not getting any better! :eek:

My swimming sucks big time! Getting the jitters myself too. I just want to survive the swim and get on the bike, I'll be happy then. The run is also about surviving but at least most of the work will be done by the time the run starts to really hurt!

Just get lots of sleep next week and eat well too! What will you take on the bike to feed?

Last night: 55km on the bike mostly easy. 15km TT in there too in 24'14" which is a pb over the course (not flat). Average 37.1 km/h. It was windy again but not as bad as last week. It was the alst TT of the season so I just gave it everything. I was satisfyingly spent crossing the line but nice to lower the pb again. Feeling good about the bike!

This morning: Swim session. A little better than Monday but still way of the swimming fitness I had Mid July. 2,300m total of various sets. I had to leave the session early again as I was wrecked. Not feeling good about the swim at all!
    The week so far...

total distance|4.05 km|55 km |9.3 miles|
    session #1|2,000m sets|55km inc 15k TT|1.3m aquathon|
    session #2|750m OW aquathon||8m inc 4@PMP|
    session #3|2,300m sets|||
    session #4||||

My swimming sucks big time! Getting the jitters myself too. I just want to survive the swim and get on the bike, I'll be happy then. The run is also about surviving but at least most of the work will be done by the time the run starts to really hurt!

Just get lots of sleep next week and eat well too! What will you take on the bike to feed?

Planning lots of early nights next week...9:00 timeframe. Doing Lough Key on Sunday. Hoping it will be fine as it is a Sprint. I'll use it as a training session I think rather than going full pelt. As for nutrition I will hae gels, Nutri Grain Elevenses, Granola Bars and Some High 5 drink. Just wondering how to manage the drinks as my full requirement won't fit on the bike. Any idea what the story is with water stations on the cycle and run courses?

What's your plan for nutrition?

No doubt you will still go well in the swim. Just want it to be on now and get going. I left work this morning at 7;00am after an all nighter and man was it cold. Hope it's warmer for Kenamre!! :eek:

Lots of early nights for me too. Nutrition plan for me is similar. Gels, nutri grain elevenses and maybe a granola bar on the bike. I;ll have 1 750ml water with a tiny sprinkle of Dioralyte and 1 sports drink. I don't know what the story is with aid stations. Maybe they just hand you water. I'll have a drink and a couple of gels waiting in T2 also. Apart from that just going to have a few ham and cheese sambos in the swim LOL

It has certainly dropped a few degrees alright. I'd expect it to be colder than 10C at 7am next Saturday. Maybe a two swim hat job!

Best of luck in Lough Key ;) I have to enllist a babysitter to get any training done this weekend.

• Advertisement

Last Week Summary...
    Overall the volume was to be reduced so I got in about 8 hours of training. Running mileage at an all time low but something had to give for swimming and that bug gave me one less day to play with. Weekend was almost a complete write off as I had no babysitter. Had to resort to getting the turbo trainer out for its first session on Sunday morning while my son ran commentry on the pool of sweat forming under the bike. Decent session though. 2 hours 66.7km. Just wanted to practice pedalling at 90rpm which I did for the first hour. Upped it to 93 ish for second on and for the last 5 minutes of it, just put on another gear and upped to 100rpm. Average 33.3km/h and it was a reminder of early morning winter rowing ergometer work years ago (note title of log :rolleyes:). I summed up that 90rpm felt a little alien to my legs which was a certain sign that I've been mashing a lower cadence all season!! The turbo itself is hard work in that its contstant. No fresh air to keep you cool, no freewheeling to rest for a few seconds while you sip your drink... just work work work. That said it was relatively quiet and smooth and gives me an option to cycling on dodgy dark mornings.

total distance|5.05 km|121.7 km |9.3 miles|
    session #1|2,000m sets|55km inc 15k TT|1.3m aquathon|
    session #2|750m OW aquathon|66.7km turbo|8m inc 4@PMP|
    session #3|2,300m sets|||
    session #4||||

So Taper Continues .... and the state of play with the...

swim.. is poor. Swimming fitness is just not back :(
    bike.. is good. I'm happy with the bike, its been improving since injury and its just about getting nutrition right :)
    run.. is ok. Legs are ok, strong from hills but no LSRs done :confused: Worst possible scenario is they will cave and cramp half way through the run in Kenmare.. fingers crossed on this one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,113 ✭✭✭Bambaata

looking forward to your taper log! i haven't tapered properly before so i'll be looking to learn a little. what do you feel you've lost most in the swim? Is it aerobic capacity, breathing or swim technique etc?

Bambaata wrote: »
    looking forward to your taper log! i haven't tapered properly before so i'll be looking to learn a little. what do you feel you've lost most in the swim? Is it aerobic capacity, breathing or swim technique etc?

Hey Bambaata, did you get your Tri bar sorted yet? Taper began last week. I essentially cut overall training volume down by about 3-4 hours. This week is Race week so all light short stuff. Easy swim this eve, easy run tomorrow, early morning 75% of race pace short brick (500m/15k/4k) wed, off thurs and quick sess on friday.

Chocolate and biscuits are off the diet this week!! Fresh food for lunch and dinner. Lots of greens and fruit. Usual breakfast. Constantly sipping water. Bed earlier than usual. I usually sleep 6 hours a night, this week more like 8-9 hours if I can. The only difference with this race are sports drink and gels. I'm using the same gels I used for the marathon last year as I know they sit well with me. I'm also using a sport drink for the first time this week as I want to use in the race. I haven't used one all season apart from the lucozade experience in Kilkee, for some reason I only thought of it lately! So plan is to try it before swim tonight and run tomorrow to make sure it sits well. Although a mate gave me some of his out cycling last week and it was no probs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,113 ✭✭✭Bambaata

have ordered new bars, cables, cable puller and cable cutter and should have all by Wednesday. I got 290mm ones that i cut to size (they have a size chart on the side of them) so i can get them just right. I always felt mine were slightly too small. I hadn't realised until in went about dismantling it that i might as well run new cables too so i got some dura ace ones.

looking forward to your race report and log of the taper up to it.

Race week - 4 days to go

Swim yesterday. Ok here was the area I was currently lacking confidence. I felt that 5 weeks away from swimming set me back to last Christmas! Anyway planned an easy aerobic session of about 75% the race distance. However, it was manic at the Arena (note to self avoid Monday evenings at all cost). Just one lane available which had a mixed bag in it that resembled the leisure centre pool that frustrated me for months last year! I realised there was just one public lane so I wasn't going to moan, but seriously I must have looked like I was moving as I was faster than everyone in the lane (thats not saying anything about me!) so for a breast stroker to gently push off the wall as I come in is just poor pool etiquette. Anyway I did 1,300m with 1k at what I felt was just below race pace. Having to overtake about 4-5 people each length probably added a few meters to it but 18'50" for the 1k was about 1'53"/100m which I was happy enough with for the simple reason that I had plenty left in the tank for that effort. Normal race pace for Olympic distance is about 1'49"/100m so I wasn't too far off the pace thus losing 3-4 minutes off my potential swim time in Kenmare is not bothering me. I'm still expecting to have to work hard to swim the 1900m in Kenmare (I heard its a tough swim also) but I'll get through it and hopefully my HR won't be hitting the roof when I get out. Priority #1 for the bike though is HR/Hydration. I'll be making sure that my HR is well down below 150 within the first few km of the cycle course. Also took on about 300ml of sports drink before the swim and the rest of the bottle afterwards. Sat fine in the stomach :) So, swim confidence still not where it was but up a notch from last week :)

Race week - 3 days to go

Last night: 5 miles easy on local hilly route at about 7'48"/mile pace. Legs felt stodgy for the first 2 miles which is uphill but loosened out nicely. Plenty of energy but kept it easy.

This Morning: Short brick.. 800m swim, 15km bike and 4km run. Pretty much the last workout. Swim was good, 500 at steady state and then 300 at race pace. Took the bike very easy at 29km/h just spinning the legs and the run at 7'13"/mile pace. Not sure of the HR for the swim but about 128 avg on the bike and maxed out at 140 on the run so all done at the lower end of the aerobic zone.

My sister noticed that I seemed to have lost weight and look a little guant last night... I smiled and said 'I must be race fit so!'

Sounds like things are shaping up well MCOS and the swimming is not as far off the mark as you expected. That's super. I'd say you will go really well on Saturday. It looks like the weather could be on our side too. :cool:

So, the big one, what's your predicted time or goal? :p

Sounds like things are shaping up well MCOS and the swimming is not as far off the mark as you expected. That's super. I'd say you will go really well on Saturday. It looks like the weather could be on our side too. :cool:

So, the big one, what's your predicted time or goal? :p

Yeah its a cracking morning this morning so It would rock to wake up to this on Saturday. Goal is to finish and to empty the tank out on the course so I couldn't tell you what that would be timewise as I haven't cycled the course or done anything this long before. All going well though around 5'30' would be sweeeet! Assuming nice conditions remain intact. Add 30 mins if wind and rain kicks up!

How about yourself?

Yeah its a cracking morning this morning so It would rock to wake up to this on Saturday. Goal is to finish and to empty the tank out on the course so I couldn't tell you what that would be timewise as I haven't cycled the course or done anything this long before. All going well though around 5'30' would be sweeeet! Assuming nice conditions remain intact. Add 30 mins if wind and rain kicks up!
    think the weather is suppose to be good , nice thru the weekend , weather was gorgeous this morn alright just when i had finished the seasons training :mad: got up for a run anyway.
    Is kenmare the last race of the season ? whats the after tri season plan ?

• Advertisement

How about yourself?

Same as yourself really, except for the time. Finish the race and have left it all on the course. Likewise this is a huge step in to the unknown - in terms of distances and the actual course. I have never covered any of the distances in any type of race previously. My longest distances for all 3 disciplines was in my only Olympic distance tri (Carna this year). I am really looking forward to it and planning for 6:00:00 or better.

We should try and get a boards group photo down there after the race.

think the weather is suppose to be good , nice thru the weekend , weather was gorgeous this morn alright just when i had finished the seasons training :mad: got up for a run anyway.
    Is kenmare the last race of the season ? whats the after tri season plan ?

Yep Kenmare is end of Tri season for me! I thinki I;ve raced more this year than the previous 10 years combined... actually I'm sure of it! I'm doing the Dublin Marathon in October but I'm on holidays for the 2 weeks before it so running it to enjoy it really. Not going to be hard on myself if I don't make X time etc... Based on current fitness alone though I'd be surprised if I don't pb at least. Short rest and into Winter training then and planning what I'll do next year.
    Same as yourself really, except for the time. Finish the race and have left it all on the course. Likewise this is a huge step in to the unknown - in terms of distances and the actual course. I have never covered any of the distances in any type of race previously. My longest distances for all 3 disciplines was in my only Olympic distance tri (Carna this year). I am really looking forward to it and planning for 6:00:00 or better.

We should try and get a boards group photo down there after the race.

For Sure, or at least get a pic taken with the by now infamous hunnymonster ;) Yeah this is a step into the unknown for me too, I just don't know how the legs will feel for 21km off the bike :eek: You staying down Sat night?

For Sure, or at least get a pic taken with the by now infamous hunnymonster ;) Yeah this is a step into the unknown for me too, I just don't know how the legs will feel for 21km off the bike :eek: You staying down Sat night?

Just catching up on HM's race report for the 100 mile race. INCREDIBLE!!!! Hectic week at work last week and on hols for 2 weeks before that so only catching up on some of the threads now.

As for Saturday, it can't be any worse than the first time I did Erne Head of the River!!! :eek: That was one long race for a Junior C oarsman! Nothing like a step in to the unknown and a good challenge..... :eek:

There are six of us travelling down together on Friday. Unfortunately we are not staying Saturday night. Lads have families and one is a steward at Loughrea tri the next day. Plus, my OH wouldn't be too impressed as I was gone all day last Sunday for Lough Key too.

Just catching up on HM's race report for the 100 mile race. INCREDIBLE!!!! Hectic week at work last week and on hols for 2 weeks before that so only catching up on some of the threads now.

As for Saturday, it can't be any worse than the first time I did Erne Head of the River!!! :eek: That was one long race for a Junior C oarsman! Nothing like a step in to the unknown and a good challenge..... :eek:

There are six of us travelling down together on Friday. Unfortunately we are not staying Saturday night. Lads have families and one is a steward at Loughrea tri the next day. Plus, my OH wouldn't be too impressed as I was gone all day last Sunday for Lough Key too.
    Sorry MCOS hope you dont mind me interupting your thread but just wanted to ask pgibbo how he found Lough Key ?

Sorry MCOS hope you dont mind me interupting your thread but just wanted to ask pgibbo how he found Lough Key ?

Hope you don't mind MCOS but quick summary of Lough Key. Beautiful setting and a really nice course. Very well supported and ran really well by the club there. Even in the difficult weather conditions it was a brilliant event. Congrats to the club and their support team. I planned to push hard but not race this event with an eye to Kenmare - my A goal.

The day itself was horrible from a weather point of view. The water was freezing - for me anyway. It was my first swim since St Tropez so quite a shock to the system! :eek: I have to say it was the scariest swim start I have experienced. Very physical indeed. I was pushed or punched under and cramped when I resurfaced after swallowing a lot of water. Took me a while to get going again but was happy with my 16mins.

The cycle course was quite technical and there were quite a few spills. Some nasty cuts and grazes to be seen after the race. It was a tough cycle (23km) with a pig of a wind on the main road. On a fine day I would say it's a lovely cycle route. I had a couple of near misses on a couple of corners myself but thankfully I managed to stay upright. happy enough with the cycle. I forgot to reset my speedo so didn't know my time until after the race. Was happy initially as I felt strong on the bike and it was the first time I wasn't passed by many people. A bit disappointed with the time when I got my result - 46:59. Also, was a bit miffed at some of the blatant drafting but that was the only issue I had all day.

The run was through the forest park. A bit mucky and slippy in spots but very scenic and different. I really enjoyed it and felt strong on the run. I managed my first sub 20 5k in a triathlon, so happy days! :cool: Finished 47th overall in a time of 1:25:48. More importantly I was very comfortable at the finish and felt really strong.

I will be back next year and hopefully in better weather! :D

Did you do it Seres? If so, how did you get on and what did you think?

Hope you don't mind MCOS but quick summary of Lough Key. Beautiful setting and a really nice course. Very well supported and ran really well by the club there. Even in the difficult weather conditions it was a brilliant event. Congrats to the club and their support team. I planned to push hard but not race this event with an eye to Kenmare - my A goal.

The day itself was horrible from a weather point of view. The water was freezing - for me anyway. It was my first swim since St Tropez so quite a shock to the system! :eek: I have to say it was the scariest swim start I have experienced. Very physical indeed. I was pushed or punched under and cramped when I resurfaced after swallowing a lot of water. Took me a while to get going again but was happy with my 16mins.

The cycle course was quite technical and there were quite a few spills. Some nasty cuts and grazes to be seen after the race. It was a tough cycle (23km) with a pig of a wind on the main road. On a fine day I would say it's a lovely cycle route. I had a couple of near misses on a couple of corners myself but thankfully I managed to stay upright. happy enough with the cycle. I forgot to reset my speedo so didn't know my time until after the race. Was happy initially as I felt strong on the bike and it was the first time I wasn't passed by many people. A bit disappointed with the time when I got my result - 46:59. Also, was a bit miffed at some of the blatant drafting but that was the only issue I had all day.

The run was through the forest park. A bit mucky and slippy in spots but very scenic and different. I really enjoyed it and felt strong on the run. I managed my first sub 20 5k in a triathlon, so happy days! :cool: Finished 47th overall in a time of 1:25:48. More importantly I was very comfortable at the finish and felt really strong.

I will be back next year and hopefully in better weather! :D

Did you do it Seres? If so, how did you get on and what did you think?
    sorry bout this MCOS but its pgibbos' fault for not having a log , ya i did it , my second yr , was my first tri last year , fourth tri completed after this year , its the club i train with , and i know the park inside out , have been running there since i was 11 yrs , glad you could appreciate the cycle on such a dismal day , it really is beautiful on a good or even average day
    will tell the main organisers bout your favourable comments , hey if your sur name starts with between A-k i probably registered you ! , the swim was a bit crowded alright , maybe they can do two waves next year , found the bike really tough even though i have done it loads of times , run was grad , was happy with result , was fourth female in , 1:30:10, will defo be back next year cause got a prize of free entry to next years event :rolleyes: (non-transferable) , hopefully will have improved my swim too

• Advertisement

No worries, chat away kids! Looks like either pgibbo passed seres or seres was running pgibbo down?! Will be finishing this log anyway with a race report next week ;)

Rest day today after a savage 10 hour sleep last night! Longest sleep I've had since I was in College...

Tomorrow morning will be just a quick 500m/10k/3k brick with 5*short 15 sec bursts in each

The weather is perfect... I couldn't be looking forward to this more!!

Race Week - last A goal of the season
    7-13 Sept|Swim |Bike |Run |Sleep :D
    total distance|4.5 km|114 km |22.6m|lots
    session #1|1300m||5m|more than usual
    session #2|800m|20km|2.5m|10 hours woohoo!
    session #3|500m|10km|2m|10 more hours :eek:
    Kenmare Lost Sheep 1/2IM|1.9km|84km|21km|v little...cakes n alcohol :)

Best of luck on Saturday MCOS! Weather is fantastic down Kerry way- looks cracking for Saturday. Don't forget to take in the nice views!

best of luck in kenmare morro , you deserve a good result , weather will be on your side anyway , look forward to the report

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

Best of luck MCOS, enjoy it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement