Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

At least it not a cold winter morning ergo LSD...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭DAVE_K

you've some drive MCOS.......more machine than man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

Hardly Dave, its just the enthusiasm of a new challenge that gets me going ;)

5 miles this morning in 35 minutes pace 7'/mile. I woke up late so it was a quick session and a superman shower. Isn't it ironic that when you are rushing that you seem to know everyone in the gym, I bumped into 2 good old friends this morning and all they wanted to do was chat :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Your times have really plunged lately, do you think it's because of or in spite of the cross training?

Your times have really plunged lately, do you think it's because of or in spite of the cross training?

When you say 'plunged' do you mean improving :confused: ?

Sorry yes - your times seem to have really dropped - 5 milers at 7' mile pace, new PBs over 10 and 13 miles. You're flying along!

• Advertisement

I see! TBH the pbs were only seconds off previous times, not chunks :D
    The cross training is mostly upper body but the core element of it I guess helps running. I think the main difference here though is the bike. Cycling into a stiff wind is harder than running up a hill IMO. I find that cycling into a headwind for 10k is about 25+ mins of work at least. Imagine a 25 minute hill on your run! So I don't think the cycling has made me a faster runner at all, On the contrary I just think that I don't lose as much pace on hills now on my runs.

The rowing ergo just gives you overall strength endurance but more importantly its a good test of your will :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

MCOS wrote: »
    I see! TBH the pbs were only seconds off previous times, not chunks :D
    The cross training is mostly upper body but the core element of it I guess helps running. I think the main difference here though is the bike. Cycling into a stiff wind is harder than running up a hill IMO. I find that cycling into a headwind for 10k is about 25+ mins of work at least. Imagine a 25 minute hill on your run! So I don't think the cycling has made me a faster runner at all, On the contrary I just think that I don't lose as much pace on hills now on my runs.

The rowing ergo just gives you overall strength endurance but more importantly its a good test of your will :D

Every second counts - a PB is PB! Fair play on the progress you are making. Very impressive.

As for the ergo - it's a pig of a machine. Those guys @ CII are sadists!!! :D

pgibbo wrote: »
    Every second counts - a PB is PB! Fair play on the progress you are making. Very impressive.

As for the ergo - it's a pig of a machine. Those guys @ CII are sadists!!! :D

It sure is :D Hell of a machine to get you fit from head to toe though, it would put muscles on your gums :D

So, why is it that I'm not seeing you or Dave_K on the 1000 mile challenge then?!

3.5 miles easy in about 30 mins instead of sitting in the car waiting for the Arena to open.

Swim with the Club

16*50m wu easy focus on stroke length
    900m @ about 1'47/100m pace
    8*50m max effort off 1'30
    (200m mod/50m hard)*2

2,600m total. Very good session :D Had to leave early again for work would have loved to complete the session.

So, why is it that I'm not seeing you or Dave_K on the 1000 mile challenge then?!

Personally, I only ever do 2 runs a week, maybe 3 the odd week. That and the fact that I do Karate, swimming, trying to increase my miles on the bike & trying to play golf once a week - doesn't leave a whole lot of time for a 1000 mile challenge!!! :D If I did this then my wife would have me out on the street! :p Oh, and I work too......for the time being anyway. Hard to know what's around the corner in the current climate!

Last year I ran around 350 miles, with a 33minute 8k being my longest and best race. Currently looking at doing longer runs but still don't think I would get anywhere near 1000 miles. I have done 2 longer runs this year -8.5 miles @ 7:45 pace & 7.1 mile @ 7:30 pace. Planning 7 miles at lunch time today.

Man I'm rambling....better do a bit here! Hope that answers WHY NOT! :D

• Advertisement

Busy life going on there pgibbo! Your running pace is good, nothing wrong with 33mins for 8k at all ;) I bet if you took the challenge you would get more than 350 miles on 2 runs a week! You could always lob in a sneaky mile here and there for chasing after that little dimpled white ball, I know I did a lot of running after it when I attempted to play that infuriating game :p Actually come to think of it, I also did lots of digging, climbing and weed whacking on a round. Great cross training it was!

Cycling 61km not my day!

2 punctures :mad: in the first 12k had me tempted to go home but I persisted. Intended a longer cycle but the weather was utterly miserable and the wind in particular was brutal. It started to get worse and the cross wind gusts on the main road were becoming dangerous so I abandoned and called for a lift. Some truckers told me there was a warning on the radio so I was cool with my decision.

Pressed for time today so 9 miles easy at about 8'12"/mile pace (except for mile 7 in 5'43" where I just decided to stretch the legs and open the lungs).

Felt great after 11 hours sleep last night! Took my iPod with me for the first time in months and was even singing out loud in parts. Felt as though I could have gone out and done it again afterwards :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 918 ✭✭✭MarieC

Felt great after 11 hours sleep last night! Took my iPod with me for the first time in months and was even singing out loud in parts. Felt as though I could have gone out and done it again afterwards :D

Thats a lovely feeling indeed, well done MCOS, you're doing savage. Think Im going to to go to that track session out at the arena on tue night, might see you there.

Marie, that track session is a good one alright. I did it a few times over the summer but now I have College every Tuesday night so unfortunately I can't go. I'll be back down there though in May when the semester is up.

Swim at the Arena this morning

600m warm up
    50m*4 one arm drills
    (200m off 4'/100m)*4 didn't get the last 100 done though

2,700m total. Decent session, happy enough with my endurance progress.

8 miles this morning at 7'21"/mile pace. The first 4 miles flew as I was concentrating on form as of HMs post in the main forum (Hips at deepest point of penetration, floating, shoulders relaxed etc...). I was able to pull off the half asleep part easily as I was actually half asleep :D Next 4 miles, I increased the pace and it became hard work. Finished with a heart rate of 172 which was unusual but I was also hungry and slowly filling the gym up with poisonous gas ;)

Swimming TT again tonight.

1,000m 17'50" which equals my personal best. I was happy with this as I was so shocked by my last one I half thought it was a fluke. So since I've done it again I'm quite happy with the swimming progress :D

Excellent stuff MCOS. Fair play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭DAVE_K

good stuff - good progress :)

6 miles in 40 mins, pace was 5m at 6'50" and the last mile was 5'50". The pace for the first 5 felt good and my legs felt strong. The last mile was hard work though. I've decided to hold off on doing intervals until next month as I'm doing Dungarvan next week. The intervals will be better prep for hitting my first goal this spring, sub 40 10k.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,540 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Great speed MCOS. Looks like you'll trash the 40 min barrier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Well done thats great going. I think a readjustment of your Dungarvan time is in order. Maybe 65 or 67 would be more of a challenge

Woddle wrote: »
    Well done thats great going. I think a readjustment of your Dungarvan time is in order. Maybe 65 or 67 would be more of a challenge

I don't know about that now. I'm confident I can get the sub 40 10k goal this year but a 65-67 10 mile is a big ask. I had to give it socks to barely crack 70 in a training run recently so realistically a pb is my goal in Dungarvan and anything sub 69 will be a surprising bonus

10 miles steady at 7'58"/mile pace on my urban route. Ran past a broken wall and the flowers at the scene of another fatal accident last weekend. Also passed groups of intoxicated teens headed for the rugby club disco and boy racers patrolling. Sobering run.

14.5 miles lsr over the local hilly route. V slow, v laboured, v miserable conditions. Easily my worst and least enjoyable run of the year so far. I passed my door after an hour or so and just stood there looking at it for a minute listing the excuses to go back to bed :o I convinced myself to get on with it and did another loop. The second hour saw brighter and better conditions but the running ... ahem jogging was even slower and still laboured. I probably could have walked faster over the hills! Overall pace was about 9'/mile but that matters little. I somehow felt as if I earned my breakfast! Tried porridge and nutella but I overdid it on the nutella and basically had a bowl of oatey nutella! it wasn't great to be honest :)

Cycling 75km 45 of it with a group average speed 29.4km/h. Roads were a bit icy in places so the group part was leisurely enough. Pressed home by myself for the last 20k as the Munster match was on at 1.

Swim this morning at the Arena

Busy pool this morning so we were all kind of bunched into one lane.

100m*6 warm up
    (400m/200m*2)*2
    200m swim down

2,400m total. There were a couple of 'proper swimmers' in my lane this morning and they just took off. I had to work my socks off to hang on to the back of the group and was spent after 2 sets of work. They went on to do a third. I don't know what times they were working off as I hardly got a rest at all. I was just happy not to be lapped.

8 miles this morning over the local hilly route in 55'43". Overall pace for the run was 6'58"/mile and it was a training pb over the route also. I planned to get stuck into this and build it up over the middle miles until I was hanging on at the end. It was an out and back. The pace averaged 7'06 out and I wanted to get closer to 7' so I covered the next 4 at 6'50 pace. I had to work very hard and pump the arms on the last 2 hills. Overall I am quite happy with this as I was up until the wee hours writing a college assignment. It was good for the confidence as I believe now with a decent sleep on Saturday night I can get a pb at Dungarvan :D

Great going MCOS. Impressive running. I hope everything goes to plan on Sunday - but it sounds like it should.

• Advertisement

Thanks pgibbo. How is the training going yourself? The NS is up on the TI website. You going to pick a couple of races?

Another good run down. How much more do you think is in teh tank, how much faster could you manage in a race do you think?

Another good run down. How much more do you think is in teh tank, how much faster could you manage in a race do you think?

Thanks. Are you worried that I'll give you a run for your money in Adare ;) Hardly, I'm 80kg and I have no experience of road races and with the work you are putting in to get your sub 3 I won't be catching you anytime soon! I've been more focused on building my endurance in the pool and on the bike. I plan to do a couple of races and duathlons over the spring so I'll have a better idea of my ability after those I think.

Thanks. Are you worried that I'll give you a run for your money in Adare ;) Hardly, I'm 80kg and I have no experience of road races and with the work you are putting in to get your sub 3 I won't be catching you anytime soon! I've been more focused on building my endurance in the pool and on the bike. I plan to do a couple of races and duathlons over the spring so I'll have a better idea of my ability after those I think.

Some of my runs lately a little old lady with a zimmer would out-pace me! I think we'll be pretty much on a par come Adare actually, should be a good race :)

Focus def on tri's then for the foreseeable? Shame, I think you have a really fast marathon in there

yes that could be read as a challenge, but only if you are competitive :P

Some of my runs lately a little old lady with a zimmer would out-pace me! I think we'll be pretty much on a par come Adare actually, should be a good race :)

Focus def on tri's then for the foreseeable? Shame, I think you have a really fast marathon in there

yes that could be read as a challenge, but only if you are competitive :P

I've learned not to underestimate those old folk you know! Yep, My 09 goals at the start of my log remain intact, sub 40 10k, Kilkee and a 1/2IM. Looking at the 1000 mile challenge I'd love to be gearing up for a Marathon but thb I'm loving the Tri training. The variety is excellent. It will be interesting to see what a summer of triathlons will add to my next Marathon.

Anyway of course I'm competitive! You currently have 16 minutes on me over a Marathon so what kind of handicap does that equate to in a 10k :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭nortal

I've learned not to underestimate those old folk you know! Yep, My 09 goals at the start of my log remain intact, sub 40 10k, Kilkee and a 1/2IM. Looking at the 1000 mile challenge I'd love to be gearing up for a Marathon but thb I'm loving the Tri training. The variety is excellent. It will be interesting to see what a summer of triathlons will add to my next Marathon.

Anyway of course I'm competitive! You currently have 16 minutes on me over a Marathon so what kind of handicap does that equate to in a 10k :)

MCOS,

Thanks for replying to my thread on doing a tri on the main page. just to cheer your up a friend of mine like you did some rowing years back, took up tri a couple of years ago and did a marathon in sub 2.45 yes 2.45 so i think you will be very happy with your next marathon time.

• Advertisement

Cheers nortal! My last Marathon was 3'27 so it will be a couple of years endurance to build before I even contemplate losing some weight and attempting a sub 3 let alone haring around one at about 6'30 pace :eek: I have my goals set out for this year already the only running one is sub 40 for 10k :)

Swim session tonight in a new lane, my TT graduated me as someone put it so I was anxious as I noticed little red IM tattoos on a few ankles :o

50m*14 off 60"
    25m*10 drills
    300m*3 off 5'40" I think
    100m*4 off 1'55"

2,250m total and I was pretty wrecked after it. I just went at the back of the group and hung on really!

5 windy hilly miles at lunch time. 2 easy, 2 tempo, 1 easy. Pace for miles was 8'16", 7'46", 6'43", 6'32", 7'30". Its mad, the slow mile at the start felt awful in every way but I felt better as it progressed. Happy with mile 4 as it was uphill and into a headwind :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

5 windy hilly miles at lunch time. 2 easy, 2 tempo, 1 easy. Pace for miles was 8'16", 7'46", 6'43", 6'32", 7'30". Its mad, the slow mile at the start felt awful in every way but I felt better as it progressed. Happy with mile 4 as it was uphill and into a headwind :D

MCOS some sessions are hard to fathom and even if you start out sluggish things are improve dramatically and sometimes vice versa also.
    My session yesterday was similar to yours a 7.1 mile with first mile easy. The next 6 tempo were planned at around 6:45 pace. Joints were sore for first mile (07:25) but then each mile thereafter was better and bounced along even the ones up hills!
    Finished in average 06:33 for the tempo 6 and had to hold back a bit at that. Conditions yesterday were one of the all time best though so maybe that can explain something

Abhainn wrote: »
    MCOS some sessions are hard to fathom and even if you start out sluggish things are improve dramatically and sometimes vice versa also.

The former is much better for the soul though ;) I didn't have the opportunity to run yesterday unfortunately, conditions felt ideal though. The difference a day makes huh! Your Ultra Training seems to be progressing nicely, I reckon you will cruise to a 4'40 or better

Your Ultra Training seems to be progressing nicely, I reckon you will cruise to a 4'40 or better

MCOS not much hope of that. Would be ecstatic at 4:59 and that's the goal.
    But ya happy with the form at the moment. There is continuous improvement and the engine seems to be gaining efficiency all the time! Very satisfied with todays session also.
    I am enving your tri training. Your flying! I have not been out on the bike in 5 weeks and pool hell ??? don't know when.

• Advertisement

MCOS not much hope of that. Would be ecstatic at 4:59 and that's the goal.
    But ya happy with the form at the moment. There is continuous improvement and the engine seems to be gaining efficiency all the time! Very satisfied with todays session also.
    I am enving your tri training. Your flying! I have not been out on the bike in 5 weeks and pool hell ??? don't know when.

Sub 5 will be savage indeed! Just imagine what the Ultra training is going to do for your next Tri! I gathered the run was already your best bit in the Beast last summer

I was thinking of doing the Beast of the East this summer. Do you reckon Kilkee and the Beast would be too much?

I was thinking of doing the Beast of the East this summer. Do you reckon Kilkee and the Beast would be too much?

Kilkee is on end of June, right? And the Beast is end of July.
    Firstly you'll be taking on the two toughest olympic tris in the land, but I 'm sure you will manage them ok especially on the back of the good work you are putting in the alst number of months. And there is 4 weeks between them. Enough to squeeze a sprint tri in between;)
    PB's are not made in these races but you will get great satisfaction on completion.
    I would hope to do Kilkee one year but not this. I think I will do the Beast again in July. I'm actually weraing the t-shirt today from last years race!

Thanks pgibbo. How is the training going yourself? The NS is up on the TI website. You going to pick a couple of races?

My own training is going quite well MCOS. Although I am struggling to find time for the bike. I am currently averaging 7 sessions a week:

2 Karate;
    2 runs - 6.5 to 9 miles;
    2 swims;
    1 crossfit session.

I am off to Austria for a week of skiing tomorrow so the plan is to add some cycling to my routine after the trip.

As for races, I will pick them in Feb. Haven't had a chance to discuss with the lads I swim with yet. Probably something like Ballina, Mullaughmore, Galway, Killkee & hopefully Lost Sheep. Need to confirm. Also looking at Wicklow 200 & Croi cycle of the lake here in Galway and maybe a half marathon. The lads are keen on Gael Force too.

Good look on Sunday.

Enjoy the skiing pgibbo! One of the lads mentioned Gael Force to me too but its a bit close to the Lost Sheep, have you done it before?

And there is 4 weeks between them. Enough to squeeze a sprint tri in between;)
    PB's are not made in these races but you will get great satisfaction on completion.
    I would hope to do Kilkee one year but not this. I think I will do the Beast again in July. I'm actually weraing the t-shirt today from last years race!

I don't really care too much about times for Tris this year although I am secretely hoping for sub 3 hours at Kilkee. I'm planning on doing Athlone so that would be the sprint squeezed in between the 2! Maybe doing the 2 will toughen me up for the Lost Sheep. Its the cool names that are attracting me (Hell of the West, Beast of the East, Lost Sheep :D)

Enjoy the skiing pgibbo! One of the lads mentioned Gael Force to me too but its a bit close to the Lost Sheep, have you done it before?

Cheers. Really looking forward to the skiing. It sounds like the conditions are great over there. Didn't get to go last year so am chomping at the bit now. :D

I have not done Gael Force, but a few friends have and they really enjoyed. They are all doing it again this year.

The other event I will do is "The Rat Race" in Galway. Fun event but great craic apparently. I missed it last year as it was the day before Loughrea Tri......Oopps, better cross check the dates! LOL

REST DAY

I just looked at my manual training journal and I've trained 16 straight days. Most of the sessions were an hour or less but for the first time I wrote REST DAY into my journal. Before I used to just skip days here and there and only wrote my training in my journal. The other days were just days off. Rest Days are actually a part of your programme and an important part too so I have decided to take them seriously :o

5 miles easy earlier this evening at 7'54"/mile pace including a stop to give someone directions to Killarney. Legs feel fresh and ready for tomorrow. Late post because I had visitors. 130 miles for January is my 2nd highest monthly total ever but this will decrease monthly as I get more bike sessions in. Hopefully my next post is a good 10 mile run ;)

Didn't make it to Dungarvan due to floods impeding the route :mad: After an hour on a mountain, headed home disappointed and annoyed. I had been so geared up for the race and all. Got out of the car when I got home, put on some dance tunes and headed out for a 10 mile over my local hilly route in anger with a point to prove to myself. Did it in 65'37" which smashes my training personal best by 4 minutes! I went off a bit too enthusiastic with 6'04" and 6'22" as my first 2 miles. I thought I would burn out but I settled and pushed as hard as I could to get the next 8 all under 6'40". Average pace for the run was 6'33" which I thought I was years away from and I knocked nearly a minute of my 10k pb along the way and it wasn't far from 40 mins! While the run was satisfying and released the aggression, it would have been so much better to have done it in the race instead :( Legs in bits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,540 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Great Running MCOS. I'm sure that in race conditions you would be even quicker, and fly under the 65 minutes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement