Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

At least it not a cold winter morning ergo LSD...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Another good run down. How much more do you think is in teh tank, how much faster could you manage in a race do you think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

Another good run down. How much more do you think is in teh tank, how much faster could you manage in a race do you think?

Thanks. Are you worried that I'll give you a run for your money in Adare ;) Hardly, I'm 80kg and I have no experience of road races and with the work you are putting in to get your sub 3 I won't be catching you anytime soon! I've been more focused on building my endurance in the pool and on the bike. I plan to do a couple of races and duathlons over the spring so I'll have a better idea of my ability after those I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

MCOS wrote: »
    Thanks. Are you worried that I'll give you a run for your money in Adare ;) Hardly, I'm 80kg and I have no experience of road races and with the work you are putting in to get your sub 3 I won't be catching you anytime soon! I've been more focused on building my endurance in the pool and on the bike. I plan to do a couple of races and duathlons over the spring so I'll have a better idea of my ability after those I think.

Some of my runs lately a little old lady with a zimmer would out-pace me! I think we'll be pretty much on a par come Adare actually, should be a good race :)

Focus def on tri's then for the foreseeable? Shame, I think you have a really fast marathon in there

yes that could be read as a challenge, but only if you are competitive :P

Some of my runs lately a little old lady with a zimmer would out-pace me! I think we'll be pretty much on a par come Adare actually, should be a good race :)

Focus def on tri's then for the foreseeable? Shame, I think you have a really fast marathon in there

yes that could be read as a challenge, but only if you are competitive :P

I've learned not to underestimate those old folk you know! Yep, My 09 goals at the start of my log remain intact, sub 40 10k, Kilkee and a 1/2IM. Looking at the 1000 mile challenge I'd love to be gearing up for a Marathon but thb I'm loving the Tri training. The variety is excellent. It will be interesting to see what a summer of triathlons will add to my next Marathon.

Anyway of course I'm competitive! You currently have 16 minutes on me over a Marathon so what kind of handicap does that equate to in a 10k :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭nortal

I've learned not to underestimate those old folk you know! Yep, My 09 goals at the start of my log remain intact, sub 40 10k, Kilkee and a 1/2IM. Looking at the 1000 mile challenge I'd love to be gearing up for a Marathon but thb I'm loving the Tri training. The variety is excellent. It will be interesting to see what a summer of triathlons will add to my next Marathon.

Anyway of course I'm competitive! You currently have 16 minutes on me over a Marathon so what kind of handicap does that equate to in a 10k :)

MCOS,

Thanks for replying to my thread on doing a tri on the main page. just to cheer your up a friend of mine like you did some rowing years back, took up tri a couple of years ago and did a marathon in sub 2.45 yes 2.45 so i think you will be very happy with your next marathon time.

• Advertisement

Cheers nortal! My last Marathon was 3'27 so it will be a couple of years endurance to build before I even contemplate losing some weight and attempting a sub 3 let alone haring around one at about 6'30 pace :eek: I have my goals set out for this year already the only running one is sub 40 for 10k :)

Swim session tonight in a new lane, my TT graduated me as someone put it so I was anxious as I noticed little red IM tattoos on a few ankles :o

50m*14 off 60"
    25m*10 drills
    300m*3 off 5'40" I think
    100m*4 off 1'55"

2,250m total and I was pretty wrecked after it. I just went at the back of the group and hung on really!

5 windy hilly miles at lunch time. 2 easy, 2 tempo, 1 easy. Pace for miles was 8'16", 7'46", 6'43", 6'32", 7'30". Its mad, the slow mile at the start felt awful in every way but I felt better as it progressed. Happy with mile 4 as it was uphill and into a headwind :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

5 windy hilly miles at lunch time. 2 easy, 2 tempo, 1 easy. Pace for miles was 8'16", 7'46", 6'43", 6'32", 7'30". Its mad, the slow mile at the start felt awful in every way but I felt better as it progressed. Happy with mile 4 as it was uphill and into a headwind :D

MCOS some sessions are hard to fathom and even if you start out sluggish things are improve dramatically and sometimes vice versa also.
    My session yesterday was similar to yours a 7.1 mile with first mile easy. The next 6 tempo were planned at around 6:45 pace. Joints were sore for first mile (07:25) but then each mile thereafter was better and bounced along even the ones up hills!
    Finished in average 06:33 for the tempo 6 and had to hold back a bit at that. Conditions yesterday were one of the all time best though so maybe that can explain something

Abhainn wrote: »
    MCOS some sessions are hard to fathom and even if you start out sluggish things are improve dramatically and sometimes vice versa also.

The former is much better for the soul though ;) I didn't have the opportunity to run yesterday unfortunately, conditions felt ideal though. The difference a day makes huh! Your Ultra Training seems to be progressing nicely, I reckon you will cruise to a 4'40 or better

Your Ultra Training seems to be progressing nicely, I reckon you will cruise to a 4'40 or better

MCOS not much hope of that. Would be ecstatic at 4:59 and that's the goal.
    But ya happy with the form at the moment. There is continuous improvement and the engine seems to be gaining efficiency all the time! Very satisfied with todays session also.
    I am enving your tri training. Your flying! I have not been out on the bike in 5 weeks and pool hell ??? don't know when.

• Advertisement

MCOS not much hope of that. Would be ecstatic at 4:59 and that's the goal.
    But ya happy with the form at the moment. There is continuous improvement and the engine seems to be gaining efficiency all the time! Very satisfied with todays session also.
    I am enving your tri training. Your flying! I have not been out on the bike in 5 weeks and pool hell ??? don't know when.

Sub 5 will be savage indeed! Just imagine what the Ultra training is going to do for your next Tri! I gathered the run was already your best bit in the Beast last summer

I was thinking of doing the Beast of the East this summer. Do you reckon Kilkee and the Beast would be too much?

I was thinking of doing the Beast of the East this summer. Do you reckon Kilkee and the Beast would be too much?

Kilkee is on end of June, right? And the Beast is end of July.
    Firstly you'll be taking on the two toughest olympic tris in the land, but I 'm sure you will manage them ok especially on the back of the good work you are putting in the alst number of months. And there is 4 weeks between them. Enough to squeeze a sprint tri in between;)
    PB's are not made in these races but you will get great satisfaction on completion.
    I would hope to do Kilkee one year but not this. I think I will do the Beast again in July. I'm actually weraing the t-shirt today from last years race!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Thanks pgibbo. How is the training going yourself? The NS is up on the TI website. You going to pick a couple of races?

My own training is going quite well MCOS. Although I am struggling to find time for the bike. I am currently averaging 7 sessions a week:

2 Karate;
    2 runs - 6.5 to 9 miles;
    2 swims;
    1 crossfit session.

I am off to Austria for a week of skiing tomorrow so the plan is to add some cycling to my routine after the trip.

As for races, I will pick them in Feb. Haven't had a chance to discuss with the lads I swim with yet. Probably something like Ballina, Mullaughmore, Galway, Killkee & hopefully Lost Sheep. Need to confirm. Also looking at Wicklow 200 & Croi cycle of the lake here in Galway and maybe a half marathon. The lads are keen on Gael Force too.

Good look on Sunday.

Enjoy the skiing pgibbo! One of the lads mentioned Gael Force to me too but its a bit close to the Lost Sheep, have you done it before?

And there is 4 weeks between them. Enough to squeeze a sprint tri in between;)
    PB's are not made in these races but you will get great satisfaction on completion.
    I would hope to do Kilkee one year but not this. I think I will do the Beast again in July. I'm actually weraing the t-shirt today from last years race!

I don't really care too much about times for Tris this year although I am secretely hoping for sub 3 hours at Kilkee. I'm planning on doing Athlone so that would be the sprint squeezed in between the 2! Maybe doing the 2 will toughen me up for the Lost Sheep. Its the cool names that are attracting me (Hell of the West, Beast of the East, Lost Sheep :D)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Enjoy the skiing pgibbo! One of the lads mentioned Gael Force to me too but its a bit close to the Lost Sheep, have you done it before?

Cheers. Really looking forward to the skiing. It sounds like the conditions are great over there. Didn't get to go last year so am chomping at the bit now. :D

I have not done Gael Force, but a few friends have and they really enjoyed. They are all doing it again this year.

The other event I will do is "The Rat Race" in Galway. Fun event but great craic apparently. I missed it last year as it was the day before Loughrea Tri......Oopps, better cross check the dates! LOL

REST DAY

I just looked at my manual training journal and I've trained 16 straight days. Most of the sessions were an hour or less but for the first time I wrote REST DAY into my journal. Before I used to just skip days here and there and only wrote my training in my journal. The other days were just days off. Rest Days are actually a part of your programme and an important part too so I have decided to take them seriously :o

5 miles easy earlier this evening at 7'54"/mile pace including a stop to give someone directions to Killarney. Legs feel fresh and ready for tomorrow. Late post because I had visitors. 130 miles for January is my 2nd highest monthly total ever but this will decrease monthly as I get more bike sessions in. Hopefully my next post is a good 10 mile run ;)

Didn't make it to Dungarvan due to floods impeding the route :mad: After an hour on a mountain, headed home disappointed and annoyed. I had been so geared up for the race and all. Got out of the car when I got home, put on some dance tunes and headed out for a 10 mile over my local hilly route in anger with a point to prove to myself. Did it in 65'37" which smashes my training personal best by 4 minutes! I went off a bit too enthusiastic with 6'04" and 6'22" as my first 2 miles. I thought I would burn out but I settled and pushed as hard as I could to get the next 8 all under 6'40". Average pace for the run was 6'33" which I thought I was years away from and I knocked nearly a minute of my 10k pb along the way and it wasn't far from 40 mins! While the run was satisfying and released the aggression, it would have been so much better to have done it in the race instead :( Legs in bits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Great Running MCOS. I'm sure that in race conditions you would be even quicker, and fly under the 65 minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Thats a great time, nice pace, and a constructive way to take out your anger:D, well done.

Thanks guys. Bring on the Adare 10k, I really have to make up for missing the race yesterday.

Swim at the Arena this morning.

700m warm up although it felt like a piece
    300m
    200m*2
    100m*3
    300m/200m/100m

2,300m total. Busy pool again and all kinds of paces in the lane including at least 2 Elite guys I recognised. I was swimming ok but ran out of steam and didn't bother with the last couple of 100s. Instead I just watched the 2 guys who had lapped me over and over again doing their thing. One of them had powered past me, shouldering me as he did so and it felt like I was on a rugby pitch not in a pool! I had met one of them previously, Brian Jenkins, nice gentle guy it seems. Swims like he is taking no prisoners though!

4 miles recovery at 8' pace. Simple enough really, no snow here yet. Duathlon next weekend so I'm going to try and get the miles done early this week.

Supposed to go out on the bike but... eh... wasn't going to risk anything in those conditions.

11.5 miles easy (all I was capable of) at 8'06"/mile pace. I was doing well just to get out of bed. The legs were heavy and thus no stride making this run feel much longer than it was

7.2k (2.25miles*2 with 2 minutes recovery). Just checking out duathlon course
    Lap 1 3.6k in 14'00" , 6'15"/mile
    Lap 2 3.6k in 13'29" , 6'01"/mile
    Wanted to get an idea for a pace that was solid but leaves a bit for the bike on Sunday. Actual course is a bit longer (3.8k). Short runs but felt good.

Swim afterwards - technique session
    75m*8 off 80"
    25m*10 drills
    100m*8 drills

1,650m total

Rare opportunity to hit the gym tonight so I went for some XT

10 minutes ergometer easy warm up with an old crew mate

Chin ups 10,8,6,5
    BW Dips 10,8,6,4
    16kg db standing shoulder press 8,6,4,4 tired out
    Seated row 60kg 10,10,10,10

Run 6 miles in 43' average pace 7'10"/mile started on the indoor track but had to do most of it on the treadmill to make way for a class. Did a kind of step up run to keep it interesting. It turned into a decent run. Miles 8', 7'30, 7', 6'30, 6', 8'

15 minutes of core exercises to finish

Last 2 days have been long and busy so no training done (kiddies birthday party also so lots of rice krispie buns etc.. consumed) :o Just back home now and was contemplating a run but have a Duathlon in the morning. As its my first multi event I'll opt for chilling out and a decent sleep. Its bound to be a learning experience. I'll chuck an extra run in next week for the Mid Riffers to make up for it!

Swim this morning at the Arena,

300m warm up
    (200m*2, 100m*2)*3
    200m
    100m*2

2,500m total. Felt good and enjoyed the session.

Yesterday was my first multi event, Limerick Duathlon #1 and I loved it. I don't have any details of results yet but what is far more important is the experience and learning. I spent about 2 hours on Saturday night checking and cleaning my bike and practicing changing bewteen bike shoes and runners. I was all excited. I needed no snooze button to wake me yesterday morning but was dismayed when I looked out the window to see a layer of snow on the ground. I recieved a text from one of the lads who lives by the mountains to ask if it had snowed in Limerick. I replied that it had but looked to be thawing quickly. I had originally planned to cycle to the event but after a bowl of porridge and jam I loaded the bike into the boot of the car and headed to St Endas. Triathletes are a hardy bunch indeed as I arrived to see a couple of bikes racked already! There was a great buzz around the slushy transition area and everyone was asking the same questions. I met a couple of ex rowers and chatted with some other newbies. The atmosphere was great and the excitment kicked in further with confirmation that the event was going ahead. I racked my bike and organised my bits, however I couldn't take my eyes off some of the tecnology on display :eek: I love my bike (because its my first) but I could only just stare at the 'machine' the guy racked next to me. He was serious and focussed looking but friendly enough to chat with me. In fact everyone seemed very chatty and there was certainly a buzz at registration. My OH arrived with my son, the sun came out and now I was really looking forward to starting!

I lined up in the middle of the pack and made it my immediate business to run past my son and give him a big wave. In doing so I was slow to notice that most of the field had sprinted down the hill to the narrow gate. I soon found my stride and began passing people. After a mile or so my lung burned with the cold air but the legs were open for business. Out and back runs are great because you can get a good idea of where you are approximately in the field. As I approached the first transition I was breathing heavily and wondered if I had gone off much too hard. I got my helmet on and changed shoes without an incident but doing this at rest and doing it at full tilt are two very different things. I struggled to get my shoes into the clips down the first hill as I was more conncered with handling the bike through the gate and avoiding the oncoming runners. Once the feet were clipped in though I marked the next bike in front of me and went for it. The cycle leg was over quickly enough and I made up a couple of places, however short as it was my quads were burning from the lactic. One of the 'machines' passed me on the cycle and I couldn't catch him back. I really noticed that the high spec bikes seemed to pull away effortlessly downhill and on flat ground but it was all eqaul on hills as far as I was concerned. I remembered to drink from my bottle on the bike.

With the last 500m of the cycle to go I had an idea to take my feet out of the shoes. I managed it without too much trouble. I thought I was being clever but what I didn't anticipate was the wet socks. The little sharp hill into transition was frowned upon by the burning legs. T2 was a weak point for me. My idea to get my feet out now menat my sock were wet and it took forever to shove my feet into my runners. I would have been as well off untying the laces. I also tried to rack my bike the other way around for some bizarre reason. Once back on the road I suddenly realised the need for intensive brick sessions in your training. My legs were like jelly. Maybe I went to hard on the bike, I know I could have dropped a gear going up some of the hills. Ah well, on with it at what felt like a slow jog. I was passed early by the guy who had racked the nice bike next to mine. He had one of those fancy race belts too which I made a mental note to get. The legs began to breath a little and I pushed to catch him again. He caught me, I caught him, he caught me and I thought I had him before the last hill. He even said in good spirits 'go for it!'. I had no 'go' left on the last hill though and he seemed to sprint past me for the line. It didn't matter 'here's my Daddy' was all I noticed crossing the line :D I was exhausted but elated and immediately shook the hand of the guy who had dragged me over the last mile! The buzz afterward was excellent and once again there were, handshakes, back slapping and general encouragement all around. I had originally hoped to get under an hour for the event but the conditions were ideal and I gave it socks to get that with a bit to spare. As I said already , Loved it and would recommend it to anyone!

A bit of a long post but I wanted to document how I felt as a newbie on my first event. I'll update later when the results are confirmed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

goos stuff MCOS, sounds like a good event,
    am planning on doing a couple of duathlons myself this year,
    am also in the process of changing my bike at the moment so herself will be pleased to know that spending money on a high spec WILL yield results :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

well done MCOS sounds like a great event

Advertisement