Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

At least it not a cold winter morning ergo LSD...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

Thanks guys. Delighted with my result also :D

Came in 11th overall in 52'06" which was waaaaay beyond expectations
    Splits were Run 1 11'54" (12) Bike 26'29" (10) Run 2 13'43" (17)

The run was a bit shorter than 3.8k but I'm thrilled with the first run and the bike. I clearly need to work on the 2nd run next time!

Did some XT tonight
    2 miles on indoor track quick to warm up, about 6'30" pace
    Chin ups 10,8,6,4,2,4,6,8,7 tried a pyramid until I failed, tough!
    Dips 10,8,6,4,2
    DB row 26kg db 10,10,10,10
    4 miles indoor track at 7 minutes per mile
    10 minutes core

Arena was jam packet this evening, Maybe something to do with the fact that Usain Bolt was strolling around earlier!

11 miles easy this morning. First 5 were moonlit and freezing cold the rest was convincing the tired legs to get me home for 8am. 8'08"/mile pace, still feeling the effect of the race on Sunday. 36 hours rest now before the next session. I'm anticipating serious DOMS from the 57 chin ups yesterday...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

fantastic result MCOS well done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Super start to your multisport events MCOS. Congrats. All that training is really paying off.

Sorry to hear about Dungarven.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Well done MCOS. Great report ,excellent result

• Advertisement

Hey pgibbo, how was the skiing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭DAVE_K

Well done MCOS - sounds like a great event...........your report was top notch.

MCOS wrote: »
    Hey pgibbo, how was the skiing?

Skiing was FANTASTIC. Thanks for asking. We had a great time and conditions were excellent. We even got a swim in one evening over there. :D They were long days - up at 7;30 each moring and skiing until the last lift stopped. Savage stuff. Great to be back to work.......NOT :(

Unfortunately I got some food poisoning from a local eatery (Galway) on Saturday night. So today was my first day back training. Knocked out 7.34 miles today @ 7:45 pace so happy enough with that.

Good stuff pgibbo, time to get back into it now. Good run to start with :D

5.5 miles easy this evening. Had company so it just flew by.

Swim afterwards with the club
    50m*13 warm up easy
    25m*10 drills
    50m*8 off 55-60"
    100m*4 off 1'50"
    50m*8 off 55-60"
    100m*2 off 1'50"

2,300m total, good session but got some lower leg cramps towards the end. Still working hard to adapt to the new lane times

10.5 miles steady state in 1'18'21". Pace was about 7'30"/mile. Didn't feel 100%, runny nose all day and a bit chesty. Pace was good considering 6 months ago I would have done 0.5 miles less for the same effort, fitness is improving!

• Advertisement

Swim this morning

600m warm up
    200m*7 off 4'05
    200m max
    100m*2 max
    50m*4 max

2,600m total, good session quite enjoyed it :)

Decided to do the cycle with the quick bunch this morning as there will be wine later and a lie in tomorrow :)

Cycling 112km about 80 of it with a group. 3'47' total average speed 29.5km/h. Lovely day for anything outdoors. My longest spin on a bike and decent spin overall. Had a banana at 1.5 hrs and a nutri grain at 2.5 hours. The first 2 hours were good, big group and chatty and incorporated one steady climb. At that point a few IM types decided to take on another climb while the rest headed back to Limerick. I went with the climb. Enjoyed it and climbed well although I worked hard. The group began to split on the descent but I was still feeling ok. Then at about the 3 hour mark, the wall! 10k from home and I was the latest casualty, the last 5k home was a crawl. Very happy to get a long spin with a couple of climbs but lessons learned... bigger breakfast, more water, an emergency gel and generally more bike mileage ;)

Swim this morning.

700m warm up (14*50m off 60")
    Did a couple with one arm
    400m*3 at about 1'50/100m pace
    Focused on staying as long as possible
    (200m/100*2)*2

2,700m total. Plenty of energy after a rest day yesterday. Could still feel Saturday's cycle though so didn't really kick the legs at all. In hindsight I should really have done a short run off the bike then, but I was thankful at the time just to get home

XT session

ergo 10 minutes at 1'48.3", 2771m, rate 23-25 been a while since I did this warm up. A bit more than a warm up.

Chin ups 10,8,6,4,2
    Dips 10,8,6,4,2
    Shoulder press 16kg db 10,8,6,4,2
    db raises 30kg db 10,8,6,4,2
    Arms and shoulders dead after wards, a bit tired actually

4 miles tempo on the indoor track in 25'59". 6'30"/pace, worked pretty hard. I knew I was a bit tired but pushed it out and onto the toes for an all out sprint down the last stretch.

15 minutes core work and stretches

XT session

ergo 10 minutes at 1'48.3", 2771m, rate 23-25 been a while since I did this warm up. A bit more than a warm up.

Chin ups 10,8,6,4,2
    Dips 10,8,6,4,2
    Shoulder press 16kg db 10,8,6,4,2
    db raises 30kg db 10,8,6,4,2
    Arms and shoulders dead after wards, a bit tired actually

4 miles tempo on the indoor track in 25'59". 6'30"/pace, worked pretty hard. I knew I was a bit tired but pushed it out and onto the toes for an all out sprint down the last stretch.

15 minutes core work and stretches

That's a tough session MCOS. Most people would be smoked after the stint on the ergo, let alone the weights and run. Are you doing the duathlon this weekend in Limerick?

pgibbo wrote: »
    That's a tough session MCOS. Most people would be smoked after the stint on the ergo, let alone the weights and run. Are you doing the duathlon this weekend in Limerick?

Yeah, the abs, shoulders and arms are sore today so I was doing something beneficial :D I need to do the core more often and get a shake into me after a session like this (I'll have the shakes soon, on order). I ended up eating too much too late and not getting up for my session this morning. College after work so today is an unscheduled day off, only my own laziness to blame, quite annoyed with myself :mad:

Yep I'll be at St Endas racking my bike for about 9.30. You thinking of doing it?

Yeah, the abs, shoulders and arms are sore today so I was doing something beneficial :D I need to do the core more often and get a shake into me after a session like this (I'll have the shakes soon, on order). I ended up eating too much too late and not getting up for my session this morning. College after work so today is an unscheduled day off, only my own laziness to blame, quite annoyed with myself :mad:

Yep I'll be at St Endas racking my bike for about 9.30. You thinking of doing it?

I am at a Martial Arts seminar all day Saturday so I will not be going to Limerick. Best of luck with it. Todays rest day might stand to you come Saturday! ;)

I have only had 1 spin this year on the bike. I did 30 miles on Saturday at an 18mph average pace. I need to get a lot of miles behind me this year. Last year I did the 2 sprint triathlons with only a handful of cycles. Considering I just invested in a new bike, I need to start justifying it or my OH will string me up for wasting the money.....:eek:

30 miles at 18mph is good going pgibbo! Try to suss out some group cycles and you will rack up some miles easily (especially if you are thinking of middle distance). Duathlon is Sunday. I'll give it welly anyway. I'm more concerned about shifting the DOMS setting in from the XT session. Abs are so sore today it hurts to cough or sneeze! It probably looked like I was doing nothing to the rugby players on the mats beside me ('bouncing' their situp + ball exercises) but all that 'squeezing' and 'holding' is actually the killer way of doing it ;)

Got up early this morning to do the cycle I meant to do yesterday.

Cycling 47km of mostly main roads average speed 33km/h. Nice conditions, dry and reasonably calm. Kept a decent gear going to work hard on hills. Went out with the intention of working for 40km which I passed in 1'12'. I was happy with that. Left knee became sore so spun the last few kms home (I never work on them anyway because the roads are so badly pot holed). It was bright too after an hour so happy days :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭ike

Hey MCOS - some serious training going on there well done.

I have a triathlon realted training question. Do you guys ever do sessions involving 2 or 3 of the disciplines in succession i.e do you go for a cycle, hop off and then go for run or do a swim, immediately followed cycle etc.

Or is it just a case of working on each discipline separately and hoping it all comes together on the day.

• Advertisement

Was too tired to post a log last night.

4 miles at about 7'10/mile pace
    Swim Club technique session
    150m*3
    25m*10 drills
    100m*8 drills

Really struggled on the swimming drills. Kept trying tumble turns but I couldn't get them, was losing my breath and getting ever more frustrated. I also struggled on kicking drills. Won a 100m sprint at the end which meant the confidence wasn't completely shot going home. Terrible session altogether.

ike wrote: »
    Hey MCOS - some serious training going on there well done.

I have a triathlon realted training question. Do you guys ever do sessions involving 2 or 3 of the disciplines in succession i.e do you go for a cycle, hop off and then go for run or do a swim, immediately followed cycle etc.

Or is it just a case of working on each discipline separately and hoping it all comes together on the day.

Hi ike, the answer is yes. Triathletes (I can't call myself one of these as I have yet to do one!) often mix disciplines in training. They are called brick sessions and there lots of different workouts. For example doing a 20min easy run off a long bike session or a tempo run off a short bike session. If you can do a swim/bike brick then great too. It could also be a set of bike/run intervals. The idea is to simulated a part of the race situation. The legs feel a whole lot different running off a bike than they do fresh. Its also a good way to practice transitions between disciplines.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 chintech

If that's you Mad T, all is forgiven come back rowing :confused:

chintech wrote: »
    If that's you Mad T, all is forgiven come back rowing :confused:

LOL, I may be mad but I'm not Mad T. Sorry, wrong guy!

Unscheduled training session but really called for as was feeling out of sorts about training the last couple of days. So reported myself down to the Arena Pool after work

Decided to do a timed 1500m as I began my steady state swim too quickly. The big digital clock was on too so easy to see if a decent time was on. Gave it socks and knocked another 90 seconds off my personal best. 27'26" :eek: Ok, its still snail pace by swimmers standards but if you had asked me last summer if I could do that even with lessons and miles in the pool, I wouldn't have believed you. I was quietly delighted with myself :D The last 250m was tough but I just tried to keep reaching. My shoulders felt like I had done a heavy weights session afterwards.

50m*6 one arm drills
    50m*4 cool down bi lateral breathing
    2,000m total and feeling good about swimming again yay!

7 miles over local hilly route in 49'30". Overall pace 7'04"/mile. Been a while since I did this route, must try and do the hills more often. First 4 miles were sub 7 each and felt ok. Out tonight though and have a duathlon in the morning so eased off the pace a little for the next 3 miles. Decent run. Designated driver tonight for a bunch of party girls and we are out to the Dogs first, hmmm discipline required ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭DAVE_K

Decided to do a timed 1500m as I began my steady state swim too quickly. The big digital clock was on too so easy to see if a decent time was on. Gave it socks and knocked another 90 seconds off my personal best. 27'26

That's good going and a good time. I reckon in an OW swim you'll knock minutes off that. I found it to be a hell of a lot easier......even being able to swim that distance straight is good - at a decent pace even better. Did you keep a consistant enough pace up for the 1500 or were you flailing near the end? What about your stroke count over 25/50 - whats that like?

DAVE_K wrote: »
    Did you keep a consistant enough pace up for the 1500 or were you flailing near the end? What about your stroke count over 25/50 - whats that like?

Hi DAVE_K yeah the swim was consistant enough. I think the first 2 100s may have been around 1'47 and as the whole swim averaged about 1'50/100m I only lost a couple of seconds on the last 300m or so. I was pretty wrecked afterwards though so the tank was empty. I'm not sure about stroke count, about 36 ish for 50m I think possibly more towards the end.

Limerick Duathlon #2

My preparation wasn't as good for this race as the first one. Late night on the town (not drinking) and an up and down week of training meant I wasn't quite 100% but willing to give it a lash anyway! I was pleased with the result of 15th overall (provisional). The first run was good averaging about 5'32/mile for the the full 3.8k this time. This was a lung opening pace for me and tough going into a headwind. I improved the bike split for the 16k too averaging about 37km/h. It was a bit windy so it was hard work. I tried to chase the TT bikes that passed me to no avail. The sound of those bling wheels (especially the disc ones) when they pass is such that you don't know if you are being passed by a bike or a car!

T2 was slow again, I'm such a muppet, I forgot where I had racked my bike and ran straight passed my shoes :o After doubling back I was well... just slow to change shoes... I think 2 people passed me out of transition alone. About 200m into the second run I felt a cramp coming onto my left calf. About 30 seconds later I had to stop and stretch it out. It took another stretch again to get going. I pushed hard but had no stride and was passed by 2 more guys. The cramp kept threatening too which was annoying. I think the second run was about 6'30-7'/mile pace. I feel like my first run and bike are about as quick as I can go at this point but my run off the bike is terrible really and needs practice! As do the transitions! Man this sport is much more complex that just running and there is still swimming in a wetsuit to add to the fun :D

total 54'14" R1 13'06" (11) B 25'51" (13) R2 15'17" (19) overall 15th

• Advertisement

Great going MCOS. That's some going on the first run & bike leg. The rest will come with time & practice. Nothing like race practice. :D

Well done on another PB in the pool.

Advertisement