Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

At least it not a cold winter morning ergo LSD...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

Thank pgibbo. Official results gave me the same times but dropped me to 16th overall. Looking at photos, I look like I'm too big for my bike. Its certainly not set up right so I'll have to get this looked at before the 3rd one.

Simple workout tonight
    40 minutes ergo at 1'57"/500m spm 20/21 about 10.2k
    40 minutes run recovery 5.4 miles on indoor track.

Calf pretty sore from the cramps yesterday

Calf is pretty sore. Going to stick some ice on it tonight, perhaps I should have done that yesterday. 10k this Sunday aint going to happen if it isn't 100% :mad: Its my first 10k and as sub 40 is one of my A goals this year, I want to be fresh enough to have a crack off it.

Iced the calf up last night after it slowly cramped up all day. I even had to get up and walk around during college a few times last night. Still tight this morning but a little better. The swim was nonetheless uneasy

300m easy warm up inc 2*50 gingerly kicking legs
    300m*4 off 5'50
    150*5 a bit quicker (ducked out of the last one at 100m)

2,200m total. At times swimming well, other times gasping, always nervous about kicking so this wasn't a great session. Seems to have loosened the calf up a bit more though :) I'm not going to risk running on it again today

Swim club session

75m*10 off 85" not feeling brilliant, knew it was going to be tough
    25m*12 drills still struggle on kicking drills
    50m*11 off 55" mostly just under target
    75m*6 off 80" mostly just on or over target
    200m in 3'35" spent
    50m swim down

2,300m total, had to work very hard to make the times. Tiredness affecting length, back to gulping some water. These were fast paces for me though. Cramps in calf and toes in the last few sets

Decided not to run yesterday. OH convinced me not to more like it. Calf still a bit sore but much better. Going to cycle tomorrow and do the 10k on Sunday.

Swim this morning.

300m warm up with 2*50 kicks
    100m*19 off 2'10 found these comfortable
    500m easy practicing breathing on my weak side

2,700m total. Much more energy this morning :)

• Advertisement

Decided on a run to check the calf instead of cycling in the dark.

Out at 6am for 6.1 miles in 46'. Then moved furniture on and off a Truck for 3 hours. Decided not to bother waiting for a lift and ran home instead, 6.1 miles in 46'30" all before breakfast :)
    Total 12.2 miles in 1'32'30" about 7'34"/mile pace average. Legs felt ok but I'm not sure if the speed is there for tomorrow.

Adare 10k 39'13" personal best and generally delighted :D

As stated in the first post in this log sub 40 was my main running goal this year, so I wasn't quite expecting to get it on my first attempt! It was a windy undulating course but a good atmosphere and friendly faces. The splits show just how inexperienced I am at shorter races. 5'50, 6'04, 6'27, 6'23, 6'40, 6'22. I had a bit of a 'give it a lash and see' attitude beforehand and clearly went out too hard. Mile 4-5 were tough , I felt as though I was running out of steam and sub 40 was slipping away. I rationalised that it was just over a mile to go so I just worked harder. Delighted with the time and really enjoyed the event :D a 5 mile pb of 31'31" set along the way too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Congrats MCOS, your another one that I saw myself being close to but like the others you've just passed me by. Well done on the sub 40 and I look forward to the triathlon season kicking off so I can play catch up :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

well done MCOS, great running

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Congrats MCOS! Great achievement! Jealous as hell!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Well done - can't tell you how jealous I am. Must be a nice warm glow of satisfaction at seeing all teh hard work pay off though. Very much deserved.

Thanks Guys! Yep pretty satisfied with the result. I feel I could go a bit quicker if I trained for a 10k but I really need to get bike miles into the legs this month and focus on the run off the bike. One of my A goals achieved for 2009 so happy to tick that one off :D

Swim this morning
    50m*6 (25m kick 25 easy)
    100m*4 bi lat
    (200m/100m/200m)*4

2,700m total. Pace for sets was around 1'50/100m. Hard enough session

XT session

Chin ups 10,10,10,10 last few squeezed out... tough
    Dips 10,10,10,9 body swinging trying to hold form failed on 9
    Bench Press kg/reps 60/10,70/5,60/8,70/4,60/6,70/3 been years since I've done bench
    DB row 26kg db 10 L+R no rest * 4 no rest between sets.. tough

3 miles easy recovery jog
    15 mins core

extra run as per earlier post in honour of that poor marathon runner in Barcelona (not part of the session)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Hey MCOS, just catching up on boards today since Friday. Congrats on your 10k time. You went well below your 40min goal. Fair play.

Any issues with cramps since?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭DAVE_K

Hey MCOS - haven't been online for a few days. Well done. Thats a savage time and you deserve it.....you've put the training in and have worked hard to achieve this goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭papamike

Great time for the 10k MCOS, great to get so early in the season but you have put the work in. Keep it up. Well done.

Jeez thanks guys :D btw you are doing great yourselves. DAVE_K really getting that swimming back and the running is improving. papamike, going to check in on your log now...!

@pgibbo no sign of the cramps at the 10k thank god. I did take 5 days off running though which helped. I'm going to practice the run off the bike though before the next Duathlon

4.5 miles in about 32 minutes felt surprisingly easy

Club swim afterwards
    50m*16 off about 55" I think
    25m*12 drills
    100m*4 different breathing and paces but didn't matter as I was trying tumble turns again. Just can't get them and I end up losing my breath and not enjoying it.
    100m fast in 1'23" an improvement from last time

1,600m total

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭DAVE_K

the tumble turns do take it out of you alright - i'd say you/i miss about two breathes doing it and that little pause and push off the wall that used to almost like a little breather is now the total opposite - it zaps you...........no doubt that's not going to stop you :)

Swim 3,000m in 58'44" :D
    Run 6 miles treadmill in 45'

Good workout. I was delighted with the swim pb. Its a significant milestone for me. Last year when I was trying to put 1k together in the pool I said to myself that the day I could do 3k in an hour I'd be swimming fit. I also thought I was years away from it! Felt good at 7'30" pace on the run but started to get hungry in the last mile.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Has there been a session where you don't record a PB? :D
    You're an over-achiever. Take a day off. :)

LOL thanks KC, training is going in the right direction anyway :) I've had 2 days off in the last 5 and I have a rest day planned for Sunday too :D

Swim this morning

100m*5 (50 one arm, 50 easy)
    800m steady state
    250m/200m/150m not sure of RTs
    250m/200m/50m again not sure of RTs
    200m max
    150m max
    50 easy

2,800m total. Pretty much toasted before the max efforts so they were just well... splashy!

Man I ate so much crap today I'd nearly go for a midnight jog now to feel better. I don't care if that howling wind kicks up another notch I'm burning some of these chocolate calories off tomorrow. My son, who usually wakes up around 7.30 every Saturday morning decided to sleep in until 10.30 today... Best birthday present ever! Another lie in tomorrow morning and I'll be hopping with energy :D

7 hilly windy miles in 47'37". Average pace 6'48"/mile. Tough run, not feeling great.

Swim this morning.

100m*3 warm up
    50m*8 off 65"
    200m*4 off 4'
    150m*6 off 3'
    100m*6 2nd 50 faster than first

3,000m total. Decent seesion, tried to stay long as I tired after 2k

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

MCOS wrote: »
    Swim this morning.

100m*3 warm up
    50m*8 off 65"
    200m*4 off 4'
    150m*6 off 3'
    100m*6 2nd 50 faster than first

3,000m total. Decent seesion, tried to stay long as I tired after 2k

Hey MCOS,
    Belated happy birthday. You'll be able to go backing rowing vets soon! :D

You're making savage headway in the pool. How long does a session like this mornings take you to complete?

LOL, thanks pgibbo. Yep, maybe in a few years I'll jump into a Vet's boat for a race or two, I don't really feel like a Vet right now though :D

The morning sessions are with a Tri group and sometimes some Masters swimmers in it. I plucked up the courage to join them over Christmas when one of the Masters invited me to join. I used to be quite intimidated by the group as they used fins and had various IM hats on. There is a fast group and a slow group, I swim with the slow group and its not as daunting as it looks on the outside. Quite friendly actually. The session is a predetermined structure (I require a swimmer to translate it for me!). I never finish it as I have to jump out at 8.15 to get to work on time and thats usually cutting it fine too. I'm usually in the pool for 60-70 minutes. Its much easier to get the work done in a group. I just follow the pace although lately they have me pacing the group for a couple of sets in the session :eek:

:o

Got to the Arena for a XT session, met 2 ex crew mates also togging off. Looking good for a session with the guys but alas I put no runners in the gear bag despite being ultra organised last night (shirt ironed, lunch made, gear ... almost ready) right after dinner. Shouldn't have been there anyway could hardly breathe I've been so blocked up all day. I was even considering a few miles in the rain on the way home.. thankfully sense prevailed. This training lark can become addictive!

• Advertisement

Gym this morning.

Bench Press kg/rep 60/10, 70/5, 60/8, 70/4, 60/6, 70/3, 60/4, 70/2
    Chin Ups 10,8,6,4,2
    Shoulder Press 18kg db 10,10,10,10
    Dips, 7,7 arms were dead by the time I got to these

4 miles on the treadmill average pace 7'18"/mile
    10 minutes core

Forgot to put the work shoes in the bag this morning, so at my desk like a muppet in business dress and a pair of runners :o

What supplements help memory again?!

Advertisement