Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freezing probs since last "update" - RRoD?

Options
  • 08-10-2008 5:34pm

Since the shutdown on Monday 29th September to prepare for the Autumn update, i've been having increasingly frequent problems connecting to Live.

I can usually connect no problem, but when i try to join a game or send invites etc. it hangs for about 30 secs before giving me either of two errors: "cannot connect to server" or "you must be signed in etc. etc." after 2 or 3 repeats of this it completely freezes. Not even pressing the guide button works, and i have to shut it down with the main power button.

It was, at first, once every couple of days, but for the last 3 nights it's happened every night and last night it went on for 3+ hours. I thought it might be a case of "RRoD - imminent!", but it plays without connecting to Live perfectly (good to catch up on achievement whoring).

I checked around the web, and it's the exact same symptoms a lot of people have been having when downloading the PES '09 demo, but i'm not d/l anything at all.

The only other cause i can come up with is somebody piggy-backing on our wireless connection as it's unsecured and i can't change it 'cos the ex-GF took the laptop with her when she moved out. The reasoning behind this is that it only happens at certain hours (i.e. after 8.00pm) but surely that would just cause severe lagging / inability to maintain a connection.

I'm at a loss and was just wondering if anyone is having similar troubles and/or overcome them before.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

Well with my old connection if I had Limewire or Azureus open, I couldn't connect to live under any circumstances at all. The 360's network connectivity tends to keel over at the first sight of a busy network or any sort of limited bandwidth. The second I closed it, I could connect to Live with no problems at all.

Could very easily be someone using your connection, especially if its nice and unprotected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭ROC1977

Connect you 360 with the ethernet. Run the network test on your 360 to check everything is ok. Get a loan of a laptop and disconnect the wi fi from your routers homepage. In the mean time unscrew the wi fi aerial from the router than should limit the connection distance and stop leachers from hopping on your connection.

Nothing to do with RROD thats a hardware failure nothing to do with the network.

ROC1977 wrote: »
    Connect you 360 with the ethernet. Run the network test on your 360 to check everything is ok.

Already did, everything's grand.
    Get a loan of a laptop and disconnect the wi fi from your routers homepage.

Wouldn't know where to begin i'm afraid :o, but s'pose i could check up on the net.
    In the mean time unscrew the wi fi aerial from the router than should limit the connection distance and stop leachers from hopping on your connection.

This is a great idea. Thanks for the help.

In the mean time unscrew the wi fi aerial from the router than should limit the connection distance and stop leachers from hopping on your connection.

Always works a treat. What kind of router/ISP do you have? I hope you don't have a monthly cap, because whoever is using it sounds like they have been raping your connection senseless....

I think Aldi or Lidl have some cheap, long ethernet cables if you don't have one long enough to reach your 360. You'd end up paying around 20-25 quid for a decent sized one in Maplin. Had to buy one myself, cheaper than paying something like 70+ for the wireless adapter for the 360.

Y2J_MUFC wrote: »
    Always works a treat. What kind of router/ISP do you have? I hope you don't have a monthly cap, because whoever is using it sounds like they have been raping your connection senseless....

It's a Linksys-something-or-other. I already have the ethernet cable, it's what i use all the time as i'm too cheap to get the wireless adaptor. Robbed the cable from work.

• Advertisement

If you don't know your default username/password to turn on some kind of password/security for your wireless, try going here and that should sort you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

I'm getting freezing problems myself. Strangely, it only seems to occur regularly when trying to load a race in Forza 2. There doesn't seem to be any problem with the disc so I don't know what's up?!

have you portforwarded your xbox 360 so your NAT settings on the 360 show as OPEN. I had a problem like that with PGR 3 years ago.

I'm actually getting some freezing problems when going into the Fifa lobbies, maybe once in every ten tries. Completely freezes the Xbox, can't even bring up the guide. I've no idea why that is, has anyone else experienced the same?

that happens in all the Fifa games over the past few years every so often. I wouldn't worry about it too much. Nothing an update from EA won't fix. Bad news Americans have Fifa 2morrow. That means by the end of next week, we'll have the yanks working out some glitchy cheap scoring tactics. And complaining when you defend!!! loll

• Advertisement

Hmmm, never happened on any other Fifa for me before. Oh well, just a minor annoyance.

Yeah, some of the Ameircans are annoying alright, I played one lad who was complaining I scored a "****** goal" and that he was going to "crush me 5-1". I beat him 2-0. He started slagging England until he realised I wasn't English, then he started slagging Spain... then he ran out of countries as his extensive geographical knowledge failed him, when I told him I wasn't Spanish (I sound Spanish, wtf?!)

Ya got the same carry on for a scottish fella last week. F'd me out of it coz I beat him 3-0 and he was ranked in the top 100. when I told him I was unranked. He went spaz, your not meant to beat me etc etc blah blah blah.

Ya got the same carry on for a scottish fella last week. F'd me out of it coz I beat him 3-0 and he was ranked in the top 100. when I told him I was unranked. He went spaz, your not meant to beat me etc etc blah blah blah.

I do have anger issues around conceding goals myself, but only if I'm been raped, like it hit off 4 defenders and went in, or he got a lucky deflection, or a player ghosted through my defender. Always mute the mic while I'm doing it though!!

Usually the Scottish lads are fairly sound. 3-0, some pasting :cool:

Ya play alot of scotts on the 10 v 10 and their sound. But this fella was either pissed up or just a dick.

Advertisement