Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best way to install accountancy package so it can be accessed over network

Options
  • 08-10-2008 5:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭

its time to update my small business accountancy package

my existing package is from the 90s and that pc is only turned on to access the accounts package

the whole is networked now with 3 computers happily coexisting and sharing content

now it would be nice if i could get the accounts package networked also

would this be possible?

2 pcs are running on xp whilst laptop has vista

is it just a matter of sharing the drive on which it is installed on across the network

the accountancy package is quickbooks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

I amn't quite sure it will work, due to stuff being needed in the registry and all. Saying that, the old Lotus Approach database software used to run from a shared drive. Can be quite slow though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

what software is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

sorry just noticed that now.

I use to work for said company - its been a while though.

Ok... you install Quickbooks on each computer and set up one central share for the data. If you had an extra computer you could run as a server this would be ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Most applications, particularly accounting ones, can be tweaked with to do this using a server/central storage as mentioned above.

Watch out for licensing though. You may require a different licence to run the software in a network environment.

Advertisement