Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Confused!

Options
  • 08-10-2008 6:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭

I'm working in the motor trade, and as you'll know, things have been slowing down all year with the vrt shambles. I started in my current position on the 1st of April of this year, so I'm the last one in - the next in line started about 6 months before me.
    Anyway, I was booking the remainder of my holidays today and had requested some days around christmas. The workshop manager said "Fine, you should be able to get them - assuming you're still here then" I thought he was joking at this point, but he went on to tell me that there was a meeting this morning and "things were looking bad" Nothing else was said and I carried on with what I was doing, didn't really think much more of it. (He had been jokingly making similiar comments the past few weeks)
    Got a call on the way home from one of the other workers, he's been there several years, and he was on about the manager trying to drop hints of a 3 day week and lay-offs, which has started to get me worried now.
    What the funk should I do? I really like the job (management are ass-holes, but what's new?!) but I don't want to end up on the dole.
    The most annoying thing is the relaxed way the manager said it - he know's his job is safe and he couldn't give a toss about anyone else.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

I'm working in the motor trade, and as you'll know, things have been slowing down all year with the vrt shambles. I started in my current position on the 1st of April of this year, so I'm the last one in - the next in line started about 6 months before me.

Well the economy in general is in the toilet ... I would start dusting off my CV and start looking for another job. The manager is actually doing you a favour by dropping hints ... mostly they just wait until just before Christmas and then fire you with no (or statutory minimum, which in your case is prob a week) warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Thanks for such a quick reply.

January to March is busy with new car sales anyway - if anything, I'd have thought it'd be summer time next year before this particular dealership would be hit. They seemed to be doing pretty well, in comparison to other local dealerships. (but that's not really of relevance, I guess)

Regarding him dropping hints, I'd rather if he just came out and said it formally - at least I'd (we'd) know the situation.

Would I be entitled to any sort of redundency, if I was to be laid off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Anyway, I was booking the remainder of my holidays today and had requested some days around christmas. The workshop manager said "Fine, you should be able to get them - assuming you're still here then" I thought he was joking at this point, but he went on to tell me that there was a meeting this morning and "things were looking bad" Nothing else was said and I carried on with what I was doing, didn't really think much more of it. (He had been jokingly making similiar comments the past few weeks)
    Got a call on the way home from one of the other workers, he's been there several years, and he was on about the manager trying to drop hints of a 3 day week and lay-offs, which has started to get me worried now.
    What the funk should I do? I really like the job (management are ass-holes, but what's new?!) but I don't want to end up on the dole.
    The most annoying thing is the relaxed way the manager said it - he know's his job is safe and he couldn't give a toss about anyone else.

Are you in sales, or on the spanners or in parts??? It's not looking good to be honest for folks lately no matter what function you do...

Mechanic

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Would I be entitled to any sort of redundency, if I was to be laid off?
    No.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

Can you take out the "protect your income" in case of redundancy insurance... as you havent been officially told your job is for the axe? At least if you could, then it would give you some breathing space if the worst were to happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Mechanic

Well here's my best advice to you in the current climate. Look after your nixer work and be ready in case you are dropped. You know how fickle service managers are, he'll still have a job and won't give a ****. All you can do is be ready. I've a few mates who are also mechanics who are being given similar soundings from management...

themadchef wrote: »
    Can you take out the "protect your income" in case of redundancy insurance... as you havent been officially told your job is for the axe? At least if you could, then it would give you some breathing space if the worst were to happen.

I never even thought of that! Any suggestions to who would be the best to approach?

Advertisement