Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Moped or Bike?

• 08-10-2008 6:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭

I'm starting a new job in Jervis in Dublin city centre. I currently live in Blanch. Instead of getting a bus in every day and sitting in traffic for an hour and a half I was considering getting a bike. Just a few questions.

Parking, is there somewhere to park nearby that's safe and most importantly free? (Regional forum question, I know).
    Bike or Moped? I don't need to go anywhere but town and Blanch. Maybe the odd trip down towards Shankill/Bray - once a week or so.
    I don't want to spend a fortune, and insurance on a Moped is relatively cheap at 858 (19yr.o. male) - so if I was to go for one, what price would I be looking to spend for a relatively new and decent one?

On a side note, if I'm riding for awhile, and want to take the test, would I be better off getting extra lessons on a 250cc bike and taking the test on the same so I'd get a full A license?

Thanks guys!

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Cant advise you on your journey or parking, sorry. A 50cc moped is good for low speed short trips. For longer journeys in faster traffic youd be better on a higher cc bike.

If you start on a bike youll master the gears etc, which a moped wont have. Tho a scooter will have storage areas a regular bike doesnt have. Small mopeds are generally much cheaper to buy, run and insure than a bigger bike. So there are different things to consider depending on your use.

If youre going to do the test at all, do it on a bigger bike with an A licence. That way its done for good, otherwise if you do the M, A1, youd have to retake it for the A.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

Thanks for the reply.

Where's the best place to pick up a moped, 1000-1500 euros worth? If I've just gotten a car Learners Permit within the last six months do I need to get another eye test done when I go into the MTO to get the bike permit?

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Dark-Mavis

Thanks for the reply.

Where's the best place to pick up a moped, 1000-1500 euros worth? If I've just gotten a car Learners Permit within the last six months do I need to get another eye test done when I go into the MTO to get the bike permit?

Don't think you'll need another eye test.

If you enjoy driving get a motor bike if not go for the moped; they're bit more practical and more economical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

I'm starting a new job in Jervis in Dublin city centre. I currently live in Blanch. Instead of getting a bus in every day and sitting in traffic for an hour and a half I was considering getting a bike. Just a few questions.
    Parking, is there somewhere to park nearby that's safe and most importantly free? (Regional forum question, I know).
    Bike or Moped? I don't need to go anywhere but town and Blanch. Maybe the odd trip down towards Shankill/Bray - once a week or so.
    I don't want to spend a fortune, and insurance on a Moped is relatively cheap at 858 (19yr.o. male) - so if I was to go for one, what price would I be looking to spend for a relatively new and decent one?

On a side note, if I'm riding for awhile, and want to take the test, would I be better off getting extra lessons on a 250cc bike and taking the test on the same so I'd get a full A license?

Thanks guys!

A lot of bikers park at the side of arnotts on liffey street and a few on caplel street. There are tons parked on O'connell street everyday. Where ever you park it make sure it is secured.

You mentioned you would mostly use it for blanch and town. You also mentioned you would use it occasionally for Bray/Shankhill. I would put it like this if you plan on using the M50 for your trips to blanch or Bray then, it has to be the bike. Using a moped on the motorway is jsut aking for trouble.

AS far as 250cc bikes. The following are all group five last time I checked. CBR250, Bros250, Translap 400, Bros 400. One more thing have you tried all the companies. There is Quinn direct, Aon, Hibernian and an insurer in the north who is returning great quotes for alot of people. Okay I mentioned some 400 there just for comaprisions not aware of a 250 grouped lower than a 5 but someone else might know one.

Thanks for the replies guys. Especially about parking, as it's the one thing I was completely unsure about. I'll have it secured with a large chain lock and a disc lock.

I'm trying to keep costs down. I don't mind paying for a good bike, but I'm not swimming in cash, and I'd like to keep as much of my savings intact as possible. I looked at Quinn and Aon, Aon was looking for twice what Quinn wanted. I hear Carole Nash won't even look at me, but I haven't called yet.
    What I was quoted with Quinn for TPF&T was as decent as I think I'll get, fully comp went up €150 which might be an option. When I went to even a 125cc scooter/moped my quote went up €400, I'd hate to see what 125 bike or 250 would go up to, let alone the extra cost of the bike itself.

As of now, what I need the bike for, is to get to work. I won't be taking the M50 to get to Bray, right now I take a 39 and a Dart so it won't be too much extra travel time going through town on the moped. It also means I'm not stuck to a train schedule as I normally leave late when I'm there.

You guys have been a great help. I'll probably start looking at bikes this weekend. Any recommendations? My little bit of reading has lead me to look for an Apprilla, Piaggio or a Yamaha Neo? Should I buy dealer or private? I don't mind spending the 100-200 extra for a dealer bike when it'll give me some sort of warranty and an establishment to come back to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

Similarish situation myself last Feb. I'm 21, first time bike driver. I went with a 50cc moped as my insurance was around €750 and was up at €2,500 for a 125bike. I'm looking at getting a bike as soon as I've got one years no claims bonus. For buying a bike 2nd hand keep an eye over on www.biker.ie - most people there will have kept good care of their bikes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭colm_c

You also mentioned you would use it occasionally for Bray/Shankhill. I would put it like this if you plan on using the M50 for your trips to blanch or Bray then, it has to be the bike. Using a moped on the motorway is jsut aking for trouble.

Apart from the fact that a 50cc vehicle is illegal on a motorway, the OP only has a learner's permit, you can't drive/ride on a motorway with a learners permit or provisional license.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 250 ✭✭mydogjack

moped.

There won't be any motorway driving - I'm an upstanding citizen ;)

Any recommendations for good bike shops in Dublin? I'm going to look around tomorrow at some. Price can go up to €2000, inc. Helmet and Jacket. I have pants, overalls, locks, boots. I've been warned to stay away from second hand mopeds from dealers, been told they're all cleaned up to look better than they are. Now I know there's truth in that to an extent, but it can't be that every one out there is a crook.

Any brands/models that are above the norm that I should be willing to pay more for? Or brands to stay away from? I've been looking at Piaggio, Apprilla, and Honda - all seem good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Fabio

You can't really go wrong Honda. I've seen a few Honda scooters (and I mean proper scooters not crossovers like the Honda 50 or 90) that are ten years old and look in ok conditiono.

I would recommend a bike really though because you'll enjoy the freedom you'll have on two wheels and will soon want to step up a bit.

I have a Honda Innova 125. It's a crossover bike so the fuel tank is under your arse like a moped but the engine is a 125 and the gears are manual but the clutch is automatic plus it has big though narrow-ish "real" bike wheels.

My insurance for this with Quinn was just under €600 although it's only thrid party insurance I have on it (with a provisional and as a first timer too!).

Best of luck with it anyway and try get lessons if you can...even if you read up a bit and pay attention to any mistakes you make then that helps too I suppose.

Don't rush into anything either!

• Advertisement

Unfortunately I don't have the money right now for anything larger than a 50cc. This new job with pay out though - so maybe I can up things in the future. I went browsing today.

Bikeworld, AandM Motorbikes (think that's it, near Connolly), and the Honda place near Mounjoy Motors.

There wasn't much in Bikeworld except a new Hyosung SF50 Racing for €1890 + gear (Helmet, two locks - disc and chain, jacket). Everything seemed expensive. The guys were nice and kept talking about "doing a deal" - but were very vague about the deal itself.
    When it came to gear there was so much to choose from :o I was overwhelmed. I've no idea what kinda jacket or helmet to buy and what kinda money to spend on it. I need it to be waterproof and give a decent amount of protection in case of a spill. I loved some of the pricier leather jackets, they felt indestructable, but 350+ is outta my budget.

Next place was the one near Connolly, he had nothing, and wasn't too interested in selling.

Finally the Honda place. They had a new Yamaha Neos for 2150 with Gloves, an Ultra helmet, a disc lock, and the top box. There was the same in Bikeworld but without the extras or the top box.

Now for the questions. Should I stick with the Hyosung SF50 Racing and get some extras in Bikeworld, should I go with the Yamaha Neos in town and get a nice jacket in Bikeworld, or get the Yamaha in Bikeworld and try and sort out a deal there with the extras I need.

Finally, and this is important. Once I've made my decision, how to I go about getting a new bike registered and insured so I can drive it away? If it was second hand I could easily get it insured, but if it doesn't have a reg. number, I'm lost :S - Removed due to stupidity and not searching.

You guys have been a great help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Buy private, the market is dead and there is loads of bargains to be hand. Also get a bike, mopeds are useless for that trip. Athough you could get a Burgman....

http://www.gumtree.ie/dublin/18/26215818.html

There's not loads of bargains that I can see. Keeping in mind I have to keep inurance down, and base cost down too. A 125cc bike costs 1750 in insurance, a 50cc moped costs 850. Big difference. I would love to get a bike, but I can't see one that I can afford.

What about something like this, for the next 6months and then an upgrade to a bigger bike.?

http://www.biker.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=55013

I got a quote of €1350 for a 250 cruiser for my bike in your age. Virago 250. I might be selling her if your interesting. Although just go with a ped if it's what you can afford although I think you shouldn't.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

RasTa wrote: »
    Also get a bike, mopeds are useless for that trip.

A 50 is fine for Blanch to town, and if travelling during rush hours in the same direction as everyone else having a bigger bike won't be making the journey a whole lot shorter as your still dodging all the traffic and then getting stopped at all the same lights. I've been doing the trip from Blanch, but now from Lucan, to the city on a 50 for years now. Would like to get something bigger but it's really not justified for the journeys I'm doing.

The trip to Bray is another matter of course, but still do able. It would just not be pleasant doing that too often though.

There's not loads of bargains that I can see. Keeping in mind I have to keep inurance down, and base cost down too. A 125cc bike costs 1750 in insurance, a 50cc moped costs 850. Big difference. I would love to get a bike, but I can't see one that I can afford.

What about something like this, for the next 6months and then an upgrade to a bigger bike.?

http://www.biker.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=55013

I'm paying just less than €600 for my Innova 125....try Quinn out.

(granted it's third party only but I reckon the bike won't be robbed as long as I am sensible and have a bit of luck).

Third party doesn't seem to be too bad - granted, but I'll be parking the bike in the middle of O'Connell St. I'm not too sure on the likelyhood it won't be stolen. :-/ Though I will have two locks.

Time is also of the essence, I start work next monday. I'd need plenty of lessons to even begin to ride a bike which would take up more time than I have. :-/

You guys are swaying me though, I've seen a few Suzuki Marauders sub €2000 euro and TF&T is about 1300 with Quinn. Quinn don't seem to have the Virago listed though. So I can't get a quote.

Either of these?

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/motorbikes/837582

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/motorbikes/801692

How do I go about driving one away without having taken lessons? I would take too long to get lessons booked and time off to take them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭Lilliput69

How do I go about driving one away without having taken lessons? I would take too long to get lessons booked and time off to take them.

Anyone that sells u a bike with the knowledge that u have NEVER riden and lets u on a public road, needs there head examined and is signing ur death cert, sorry if that seems harsh but its fact. If u buy a bike get someone else to ride it home for you, lessons are for your safety and the safety of other road users. If money is a big issue (how can you put a price on life) then get someone you know to take u to a quiet carpark and teach you the basics.

Good luck with it and many happy miles. sorry for the rant but its for your own good ;)

No no no, I wouldn't dream of going out, buying a bike and riding it home without lessons. It was more a rhetorical question - probably not the smartest thing to throw out there though :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭paulie69

I wouldnt buy a second hand moped, there engines dont have a long life expectancy espically if ur buying second hand,someone could have trashed it.I would buy summin like a yamaha tdr or honda varadero 125.You can park in the jervis shopping centre carpark,its v handy to get around barriers there n the security sat nothing

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

OP, welcome to the happy world of biking. GLad to see you made the wise decision of getting a bike rather than a moped.

Id recommend going to JP Motorcycles on Pearse St as he has a great selection of second hand bikes and he will look after you. Ive bought my last 2 bikes there. He's a decent skin.

i also recommend you do some lessons, it could save your life.

Make sure you get full gear, jacket, trousers, boots, gloves etc.

Sorry to sound so practical, im like yore ma!

No no no, I wouldn't dream of going out, buying a bike and riding it home without lessons. It was more a rhetorical question - probably not the smartest thing to throw out there though :rolleyes:

I am glad to hear that, i have known shops to sell young lads bikes and just let em off without a clue of the basics and when i say basics, not even know whats what on a bike having never sat on a bike before.

yeh not the smartest thing to say lmao, glad ur not that stupid ;)
    faceman wrote: »
    i also recommend you do some lessons, it could save your life.

Make sure you get full gear, jacket, trousers, boots, gloves etc.

Sorry to sound so practical, im like yore ma!

yeh buy the best helmet u can afford and buy the best u can afford in everything else:cool:

Remember biking is something to be enjoyed, stay safe and between the ditches ;)

Virago is an XV250 when looking for a quote. You can have my baby for €1600 if you want. I've got a few bikes and time to shed a couple.

Alrighty! Looks like I'll be taking the bus into work for the next while. I think a 250 cruiser is within my budget insurancewise. Where's the best place to take lessons? As I've said I'm a D15 local, so I'd like something around the area - because of work and travel I won't really have a lot of free time.

I'll check out JP Motorcycles for a second hand unit (will actually be right there doing my theory test this saturday), though I have seen a few 250 cruisers (a Marauder and a Virago) going for around 1500.

Side note, anyone know if the MTO is open on a saturday, so I can apply for my permit?

I also live in D15. Noone around here really to be honest. I done mine in ISM but it wasn't the best, the instructor was great but the yard was awful. Give Dave Lyons a call and I seriously do recommend buying private to save at least €500. If your really stuck I'll give ye a lift home on the bike.

I've sent an e-mail off to David Lyons, will see what he says when he gets back to me. I'll ring him Friday if I've not gotten a response by then. Hope to look at bikes saturday when I do my theory test. Again, anyone know if the MTO is open on a saturday?

I've sent an e-mail off to David Lyons, will see what he says when he gets back to me. I'll ring him Friday if I've not gotten a response by then. Hope to look at bikes saturday when I do my theory test. Again, anyone know if the MTO is open on a saturday?

Excellent, best of luck with it all

Don't think it may be open until lunchtimes on Saturdays...I think it is here in Cork anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭ifah

head on over to www.biker.ie and every discussion topic that you want has been covered in the Newbie to biking section.

There are a number of great trainers as members on there - Liam/Peter from AAron Rider Training are two.

Personally I'd stay away from the cruisers - they're not great for commuting due to low seating position - have a look at a Varadero 125xl (if you're into v-twins) or else a Yamaha TDM 125 (2 stroke) or else a 125cc scooter - you should get one pretty cheap. Don't buy off a dealer and definitely don't buy a Hyosung pile. Go for a japanese manufacturer (honda/suzuki/yamaha) and you won't go wrong.

www.cottermc.com is great for starter gear/helmets etc - he's out in ParkWest business park.

• Advertisement

Woohoo, passed my test today. In and out in 12 minutes, it really is a joke that I can legally go ride a bike now (after getting permit of course)... ah well that's Ireland I guess. So bikes - I was in JP motorcycles after passing and found an 01 Marauder with 16k km on the clock for 1600 + 200 for helmet, jacket and two locks. I'll get better spec gear more than likely tho. There's a bit of corosion on the underbody of the engine, is that something I should be worried about?

On applying for my permit, just to confirm, I can apply for an A without having to have an A1 first.

Don't think i've any more questions for now?

Advertisement