Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Moped or Bike?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭colm_c

Woohoo, passed my test today. In and out in 12 minutes, it really is a joke that I can legally go ride a bike now (after getting permit of course)... ah well that's Ireland I guess. So bikes - I was in JP motorcycles after passing and found an 01 Marauder with 16k km on the clock for 1600 + 200 for helmet, jacket and two locks. I'll get better spec gear more than likely tho. There's a bit of corosion on the underbody of the engine, is that something I should be worried about?

On applying for my permit, just to confirm, I can apply for an A without having to have an A1 first.

Don't think i've any more questions for now?

No idea about the corrosion, but see if you can get the bike shop to give you a warranty with it - gives you a little piece of mind.

Yeah apply for the A straight away once you're over 18.

Get some training before you even buy the bike, at least a couple of hours.

Don't forget your Hi-Viz and L plates...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

I'm booking lessons for the bank holiday Monday - my only concern is I won't have my license by then, even if I send it next day post. Won't forget the hi vis, it's on my list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭Lilliput69

I'm booking lessons for the bank holiday Monday - my only concern is I won't have my license by then, even if I send it next day post. Won't forget the hi vis, it's on my list.

Fair play, you seem to have the right attitude now, well done on passing and as u said peice of piss.

With regards to the licence, take a colour photo copy of the doc that says u passed theory test before u post it off, talk to ur instructor and explain the situation, you never know u might have the permit by then, think positive ;)

And enjoy biking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

ifah wrote: »
    Personally I'd stay away from the cruisers - they're not great for commuting due to low seating position.

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but can I ask what difference that makes? I'm just starting to look into this, and my heart is set on a cruiser for the commute :( (Dragstar / Virago etc).

eoin_s wrote: »
    Don't mean to hijack the thread, but can I ask what difference that makes? I'm just starting to look into this, and my heart is set on a cruiser for the commute :( (Dragstar / Virago etc).

They're generally harder to do slow control with, have a larger turning circle, bigger and heavier which makes filtering a little more difficult, but not impossible.

It depends how much filtering you're going to be doing, but if you like cruisers go for it.

• Advertisement

Thanks Colm - was just talking to my cousin who said the same thing.

eoin_s wrote: »
    Thanks Colm - was just talking to my cousin who said the same thing.

Then again I commute and filter on a 1200 touring bike!

It's generally not a problem unless you're trying to filter into tiny gaps.

colm_c wrote: »

That's a relief. I was worried the Maraurder I'm gonna pick up on saturday would be useless for city centre commuting. There's nothing else available in my budget - and the discount on gear that Joe is giving me won't be available in the few private sales I've seen for sports style bikes.

colm_c wrote: »

It's all N11 for me, so probably a bit of room to work with.

@thehomeofDob, sorry for hi-jacking the thread, best of luck with the bike :)

Ah no worries mate, sorted things out for me too :)

• Advertisement

Got my bike! 2001 Suzuki GZ250 with 16k km's! Got all my gear and my license! Delivery is tomorrow, I can't wait to just sit on it! :D YAY! Won't take it for a proper ride till after lessons on monday. Thanks for all your help guys! Spot on!

Very nice - is that a maurader? Best of luck with it.

Correctamundo! I've read mostly good reviews with a few negative ones, generally on the handling - the side stand is a bit low and can grate on tight left hand corners. Other than that nothing bad really, good mileage, comfortable for short-medium journeys, all good :)

Very good, like I said, best of luck with it.

Took the bike out for a spin tonight. Went up and down the estate a few times to get comfortable, then had my brother tale me in the car as I trotted along the area - had a couple of stalls, but overall a good experience. It's given me some questions to ask Dave on monday. Loving the bike so far!

Good stuff - keep us updated here, I am interested to know how you get on. Safe riding as well, of course.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

A lot of bikers park at the side of arnotts on liffey street and a few on caplel street. There are tons parked on O'connell street everyday. Where ever you park it make sure it is secured.

Heyo, where are these streets? New to dublin and also working in jervis. Brought my baby up during the week and planning to ride to work at the weekends.

I think I'm gonna just park up by the GPO. In between it and Penny's there's bike parking, then it's just just quick walk up to Jervis. There might be better places, but I'll find them later.

I've notice a problem with the bike while going around my estate. If I the bike is idle - say at a junction, fairly often I can't get the bike from neutral into first and have to start off in second. But it always goes into first if I downshift while braking. I duinno if I've done something, or if there's an easy fix.

Tipple post :o anywho, was out on the bike today, and the back breaks are squeaking fairly heavily while breaking in first. Any idea why? Has water leaked into the break?

On the subject of water, what's the best thing to put on the bike to keep water out? It's out in the rain a lot. What do you guys use for cleaning it up as well, not just the paintwork but the engine, breaks, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

You can get a cheap bike cover in argos if you're leaving the bike out in the rain. As for the back brake, could need new pads or it could be new pads breaking in?

Advertisement