Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Games Category: Discuss

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

I get you, AH only has two extra rows at the top though where Poker has 4-5 - but it's no problem to change back - all in favour say aye...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Ste05

Cloud wrote: »
    Sure we can do that - it just saves having to scroll down every time you want to read the main poker forum threads the way it is now - do you want to poll your members or get some more feedback before I change it back?
    Na, there's already some grumbling about it... :pac:

Thanks Cloud.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

So far I like it, I know it is still up for change.

One or two things,

It does look more organised, but still feels as if there are too many forums. I could get lost in it. I feel sorry for the first guy that goes looking for the Competition Entries forum :-)

No generic Games forum? Can't myself using the category too much any more with out a general forum :/ The old general games forum was great, it covered everything, news, reviews, chatter etc.

Sounds like a plan, I'm good for merging anything that needs to be merged.

Games is there under Games > Games > Games > Games > Games, oh wait, that's just Games > Games > Games.

Actually, I had changed the Games sub category to Video Games and then had a Video Games forum in there, does that make any more sense?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

Rabies wrote: »
    No generic Games forum? Can't myself using the category too much any more with out a general forum :/ The old general games forum was great, it covered everything, news, reviews, chatter etc.

It's still there and still called games, it's just in a submenu like the poker forum was. Perhaps it can be changed aswell? :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

So far I like it, I know it is still up for change.

One or two things,

It does look more organised, but still feels as if there are too many forums. I could get lost in it. I feel sorry for the first guy that goes looking for the Competition Entries forum :-)

No generic Games forum?

It's still there. More of a visual reorganisation than a solution to the perceived problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

there is...games>games surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Kurtosis

I think it's a great improvement, tidied up a huge amount and should make it easier for people to find the right forum for different discussions instead of missing out on it in the long list previously there.

Better to take small steps, see how they work out and then make any further changes based on how the initial reorganisation worked out.

Yep we can push the Games forum back up to the top; would Game Awards / Editing / Reviews / Webgames / Arcade then be subforums?

Thanks for the positive feedback so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Thanks for the reorganisation but the Games->games->games thing in my view will make it harder for people to just find the generic forum.

What about Games-->Games and Games--->Games sub--->etc

Or maybe somebody has a better idea?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Its certainly a move in the right direction, though personally I think the use of actual forums rather than categories to contain the sub-forums would have been better, giving the best of both worlds.

For example have the "First-Person Shooter" category as a forum will allow general fps topics to go there while those who want more targetted responses can goto the battlefield forum for example. Hey but that's just me.

or you could do a Games forum with a games subforum which redirects back to the root games forum :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Sounds like a plan, I'm good for merging anything that needs to be merged.

Games is there under Games > Games > Games > Games > Games, oh wait, that's just Games > Games > Games.

Actually, I had changed the Games sub category to Video Games and then had a Video Games forum in there, does that make any more sense?

Ah, sweet. Thanks. Missed it.

I'd like to see Games right at the top. Games--> Games and leave it at that, then what ever else happens :D
    Games is where the cool kids hang out

Can still do that Rev - but it probably just applies to Games, MM and RPG now - is that right?

BTW I'd propose merging some of these subfora into the main forums where they are unused.

I think you can safely merge the Age of Conan and perhaps the Lord of the rings online back into the Massively Multiplayer forum,
    I'd give the warhammer one a stay of execution to see if it picks up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

Can still do that Rev - but it probably just applies to Games, MM and RPG now - is that right?

Strategy would probably be another that could be a forum with sub-forums, unless it's being merged :)

Should Gaming Miniatures and Cards and Magic the Gathering go into Tabletop?

Yeah, I think so.

As a Games mod I think the changes are needed and so far encouraging. I'd love though to know that you'd be able to make further changes if they appear necessary other the coming days/weeks.

Of course, I will do my best in the limited amount of free time I have...

Should Gaming Miniatures and Cards and Magic the Gathering go into Tabletop?

Yeah I think you should move Gaming Miniatures and the cards out of Roleplaying.

You could also move the Elder Scrolls into Roleplaying as well.

Replacing the Category with the roleplaying forum would be a good idea as well (imho etc etc).

• Advertisement

Age of Conan merged, LotR left as still semi-active...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Ooh, that's a lot neater alright.

Good work guys.

[pedant]Poker isn't prefixed with an ellipsis in the dropdown.[/pedant]

Might be worth looking at the other games under hosted, for a start moving Dawn of War into strategy would be worth doing.

I think those forums would be more active in a more 'public' place.

thxs for the hard work, watch out rsi with all these mouse clicks :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Just want to say thanks to the admins for listening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭rizzla

Looks much neater and usually with change it takes awhile to get used to something different but the re-vamp just clicks immediately.

Maybe First Person Shooters could just be Shooters. GTA, Resident Evil and MGS wouldn't really be FPS's. Tiny gripe but easily livable with it as is.

No problem, real life interfering for me anyway with new baby/job/house all happening, plus a book to finish co-writing in the next week!! Also, Vex is off with a sprained ankle, CuLT is flu-ed to the hilt and... :D

Might be worth looking at the other games under hosted, for a start moving Dawn of War into strategy would be worth doing.

I think those forums would be more active in a more 'public' place.

Hmmm....excepted those 'hosted' forums are in Hosted for a reason and shouldn't be confused with 'normal' Boards forums (or so I learned before Xmas) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

I like it, Thumbs up :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Huge thread guys so forgive me if these are answered

Looks neater but I know you will get pedants fighting their game classification.

Is there going to be a post count? such as a forum that has less than 3 posts a month gets removed?

One thing that I always though would be a good rule to have in the games fora is that if you are talking about a multi format game that your thread title should have
    [PS3] or [Xbox] or [PC] etc so that people are not talking about points in one format that is not relavent to others across many threads.

I noticed this especially when people were discussing COD4 online features/weakness

• Advertisement

Some of the hosted ones where placed there to avoid the crowding issue we have now. I think for the games forums it can only help them get traffic.

I think that while you could bin the Irish Games Server Administration forum there may be merit in making it public since you do still get topics on hosting games and a few of us still manage servers etc.

Perhaps moving it into games and resetting the access list so its public would be a good idea and rename it to Game Server Administration ?

Advertisement