Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maruzen Walther PPK "Movie prop Edition" Review

Options
  • 08-10-2008 7:38pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭

So a new little gucci piece to do a quick review on. This is a movie prop replica of the 007 bond Walther PPK. The gun is made almost entirely from plastic yet feels really solid and beauitfully built.
    The silencer is made from alluminium and has a non standard thread of maybe 11-12mm in diameter. On the chrono in a relatively low temperature its coming in at around 260FPS and has a magazine capacity of 21Rds.

The gun was a little difficult to photograph with the black/chrome type of finish on it so forgive the "not so great" pics.
    It has full realistic trade marks etched into the frame and slide aswell as the magazine. The only non-reailstic part is the engraving on the right side of the slide where the "maruzen" trade marks are located. (i'll post some pics of that further down.)

It comes packaged in a cardboard box with a plastic hard case inside. inside that again you have injection moulded polystyrene with the shaping for the gun, silencer and magazine in it. The out side of the case isnt really anything to write home about, being just plain plastic but the inside is really nicely made.
    Back to the gun, it feels lovely to hold, particularly the finger grooves on the base of the magazine and theres no wobbles or rattling in it at all.
    The threaded outter barrel is made from brushed steel including the ejection port.

One of the main selling points of this gun apart from it being a move collectors piece, is the blowback from it. its got a really nice kick and cycles really quickly. its hard to compare it to other pistols in partucular but unlike a lot of them, this doesnt sould like a bag of bolts when its racked and the slide doesnt have a heavy pull on it.
    Its a double action firing mechanism, meaning without the hammer cocked the trigger will have a heavy pull but once the gun is fired and it re cocks itself its really light.

I reckon this would make a great target shooting pistol since its got pretty decent groupings at a range of about 25ft,(i didnt have the chance to test it over longer distances). the one down point though it the relatively low FPS compared to a lot of other pistols but that could probably be remedied with a bit of modding on the gas valve etc. The magazine holds probably enough gas to fire off about 50-60 shots, being an ABS slide it doesnt waste a lot of gas cycling back and forth.

Its probably not going to be a skirmish piece either, I personally would be afraid of getting it scratched or dirty so id say it would appeal more to the "007" fans and the collectors out there.
    Come to think of it, it would have been a good idea by maruzen to provide a display stand with this too.

So thats pretty much it, I'll post the usuall discussion thread for any questions about the piece. feel free to post and Q's. :)
    Im gonna get in touch with the lads on the IAA and see if i can blag my number being changed to "008" since lemming got the 007 at the HRTA birthday game. :D oh i should have mentioned theres a chrome version of this too, Lemming and KD have them. they dont have a silencer with them though.

Build Material: ABS body with metal outter barrel/ejection port
    Velocity: 255-260FPS, (fairly cold environment)
    Capacity: 21 rounds
    Price: 170
    Manufacturer: Maruzen
    Gas Type: Green gas

Pro's
    • Its a movie prop of a Bond gun, i mean COME ON!,
    • Its pretty unique and the silencer is beautifully made,
    • Full authentic trade marks, including the magazine,
    • Nice display case,

Con's
    • Id love to have one made from metal, the ABS is fantastic quality but metal would really set this piece apart from anything close,
    • The velocity is fairly low compared to a lot of pistols,
    • the outisde of the box doesnt look like anything special, kinda looks like a cheap Bell revolver case i have,

2922754784_4a217b5d2c_o.jpg

2921916059_d7dfa4b293_o.jpg

2922751384_1e7e3ff582_o.jpg

2921917009_5d37ec7b9f_o.jpg

2921911781_1ced95d1ed_o.jpg

2921913339_1a5b5f002b_o.jpg

2922760832_892d2ee946_o.jpg

2922759782_fb8a1892e6_o.jpg

2922754130_a8883cd40a_o.jpg

2921905455_20e2a62bcc_o.jpg

2921906907_2bd09d841e_o.jpg

Advertisement