Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New diversion Grannagh/Newrath this Saturday 11 October

• 08-10-2008 7:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭

Apparently there's a new diversion going to be in place this coming Saturday, no doubt to facilitate the huge roadworks going on over in that area.

I've to travel that road on Saturday as it happens. Has anyone got details of what's changing? Is it just a weekend thing or is it more long term, like the "up-and-around" diversion in Newrath?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

fricatus wrote: »
    Apparently there's a new diversion going to be in place this coming Saturday, no doubt to facilitate the huge roadworks going on over in that area.

I've to travel that road on Saturday as it happens. Has anyone got details of what's changing? Is it just a weekend thing or is it more long term, like the "up-and-around" diversion in Newrath?

I suspect that all dublin/Kilkenny bound traffic will have to travel via the Limerick Road (I.E near Ferry Bar and access dublin kilkenny road via a new pancake roundabout near Grannagh Castle

Waterford bound traffic from the Dublin/Kilkenny direction will head toward the Limerick road and come in via the Ferry Bar

I imagine this is to facilitate the stacked roundabout for the new Grannagh junction be installed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

Bards wrote:
    suspect that all dublin/Kilkenny bound traffic will have to travel via the Limerick Road (I.E near Ferry Bar and access dublin kilkenny road via a new pancake roundabout near Grannagh Castle

Waterford bound traffic from the Dublin/Kilkenny direction will head toward the Limerick road and come in via the Ferry Bar

I imagine this is to facilitate the stacked roundabout for the new Grannagh junction be installed

This is correct the beams are due on site during the weekend sometime. It'll be as permanent as the Newrath layout for a good while. So if you can avoid the area do. I'll be using the Fiddown bridge as much as possible as I suspect alot of others will too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Thanks lads.

It's really taking shape now, the whole thing. I drove home from Dublin a few weeks ago and the road south of Carlow is a sorry mess - like something from a Third-World country. I won't be sorry if I never see Thomastown or Mullinavat ever again. This new road system is going to be some improvement over what we have currently. It will be worth a thousand diversions!

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭mitsubishi1

Bards wrote: »
    I suspect that all dublin/Kilkenny bound traffic will have to travel via the Limerick Road (I.E near Ferry Bar and access dublin kilkenny road via a new pancake roundabout near Grannagh Castle

Yes thats the way its going to work.

Was out there this morning coming back from Limerick.

It's really great to see it all come together. Will be well worth the wait.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

trishw78 wrote: »
    This is correct the beams are due on site during the weekend sometime. It'll be as permanent as the Newrath layout for a good while. So if you can avoid the area do. I'll be using the Fiddown bridge as much as possible as I suspect alot of others will too.

alot of extra traffic on it lately to be honest :(

• Advertisement

The tower crane is being erected as we speak so there is a lot of rubber necking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭alpha2zulu

Having been on the new diversion route this evening, its amazeing to see the change in the landscape in the ferry bar area over the couple of months that the N24 link has been closed. The N9/N24 now drops below the ground level with a few twists and turns and underneath what will when installed, be part of the carraigeway to/from the new bridge.
    Really makes you appreciate the vast sums of money that are being invested in this project.

As an aside, does anybody know if the N9 through Sallypark will have to be closed at some point to allow that section of DC to be completed fully. Having a look at it today, the space of new tarmac looks very tight for for 2-way traffic to be maintained throughout construction.I dread to think what the traffic will be like in the mornings if all the N9/N24 traffic gets diverted down to the lights on the Rockshire Road as happened in 1997/1998

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Rumour has it that there will be a repeat of the 1997/98 diversion to allow completion of the sallypark dual carriageway, also heard that after tuesdays budget there is going to be some cut back in funding for the project and it may not be complete until post 2011.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭alpha2zulu

Bad news all round so.
    On the point of a cut in funding, from reading the website for the project, it would appear that with the contract signed with Celtic Roads group in 2006, any delay in the project would cut a years worth of tolls from their revenue as the clock on 30 years of toll collection for celtic roads started ticking in 06 so to speak, if my reading of the site is correct.

To quote the website
    Period of Concession:
    The contract was signed on the 21st April 2006 and will extend for 30 years from that date. The construction is anticipated to take approximately 4 years and Celtic Roads Group will be responsible for collection of tolls for a period of approximately 26 years

http://www.waterfordcity.ie/n25bypass/financial.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

Road-Hog wrote: »
    Rumour has it that there will be a repeat of the 1997/98 diversion to allow completion of the sallypark dual carriageway, also heard that after tuesdays budget there is going to be some cut back in funding for the project and it may not be complete until post 2011.

This is A PPP road ans is financed privately. The Govt only pays for for the land they CPO'd (Which they have to no matter what) and the private consortium pays for the road, so i don't know where you heard this rumour but I suspect it is a total fabrication.

With regard to Sallypark being closed, I again doubt this very much.

• Advertisement

They may close the inward bound lane and divert it on to the new carriage way

Advertisement