Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Honeymoon over?

Options
  • 08-10-2008 7:58pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Yes the queues on the 2-3 busiest servers in EU are still there but im a bit concerned about a few things.
    My mains are rank 23 shaman and 22 Sorceress one on azgal other on eight peaks,THE 2 busiest servers in Europe.
    At peak times the past week im seeing few doing the PQs,i dont meet that many people out questing in the world.
    Im guessing they are all doing scenarios,after all there is little to no wait for scenarios on these servers,there is nice xp etc.
    The downside is its very rare i find a good active PQ going on,infact its well over a week that ive taken part in a PQ with more than 5-10 players.
    Ive come across the odd keep raid, its either order or destruction taking the keep with no resistance which is boring imo.

So i like to try a few alts,doing so is a chore right now as there is literally nobody doing PQs in Tier 1 at all,even less than where i am now at Tier 3 with my mains :(
    It just seems everyone is playing scenarios,yes they are fun but there is a huge WAR world in the game that just feels empty to me recently despite having to queue for a slot on the servers.
    Surely this cant be good for the game?
    Surely we should be seeing any new players in the starting areas?

WAR is fantastic,it really is my favourite MMO out there but only when there are PQs,Keep raids,scenarios and lots of people actually out in the vast world.

Two friends of mine i was chatting to over the weekend want to get into an MMO,the only one they are interested in is WOW [wow is excellent,i love it if im being honest]
    They told me they were reading a few MMO websites which are stating similar concerns as i have expressed above and have been turned off WAR as a result,all they want now is wow which they have both subscribed to since the weekend.
    Just a small example but it just makes me wonder will war be as big as we hope.

Something tells me the vast majority that want to play war are already playing with very few new players coming onstream.
    I sincerely hope im wrong as i for one am really enjoying war.

damn that was a long post, [you guessed it im in a queue atm]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Have to agree with you. I love the PvE element of War, but much prefer the PvP in lotro, its more upclose and personal.

The queues are really killing the game, and when you goto a lower pop server is a bit of wasteland when it comes to other players. I'm sure it'll balance in time, but this could be another AoC in the making if they aren't careful.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I had a big long post written out but IE crashed. So I'm going to shorten it.

I joined Wow late. Outside of 65+ the game was empty, boring and utterly pointless. I hit 60 4 months after the expansion came out. The 60-65 zones were still empty.

I started playing LOTRO recently. Its was empty at low levels.

I started playing AOC at launch. With their crappy multi instance system it was rare a good group got going or you saw the same people.

Your looking at this game with Rose tinted GLass's mate.

Me and my group of Mates have created a 10 person warband three nights in a row. We cleared all chapter nines, in a all 3 zones and we are moving onto chapter 10 tommorow(Btw Lords hit for crazy damage). We take Keeps as a guild and we fight to keep them. We lose it after half an hour but we try.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

Dcully wrote: »
    Yes the queues on the 2-3 busiest servers in EU are still there but im a bit concerned about a few things.
    My mains are rank 23 shaman and 22 Sorceress one on azgal other on eight peaks,THE 2 busiest servers in Europe.
    At peak times the past week im seeing few doing the PQs,i dont meet that many people out questing in the world.
    Im guessing they are all doing scenarios,after all there is little to no wait for scenarios on these servers,there is nice xp etc.
    The downside is its very rare i find a good active PQ going on,infact its well over a week that ive taken part in a PQ with more than 5-10 players.
    Ive come across the odd keep raid, its either order or destruction taking the keep with no resistance which is boring imo.

So i like to try a few alts,doing so is a chore right now as there is literally nobody doing PQs in Tier 1 at all,even less than where i am now at Tier 3 with my mains :(

Come to the dark.... other side. Yes, order. Shorter queues on K8P, more people doing PQ's in the lower tier's (unless you play at 8 in the morning)

I jumped on after I got back from work, no queue and a group of people doing a nearby PQ in chapter 8. Had half a warband going and they fecked off after my first run at the PQ so we started again, we had another 10 people by the end of the second run.

The other night we got half a warband going to defend the keep in Ostland, destro had more than us but we kept them back and during the gaps in their attacks we took back the battlefield objectives aswell.

I just rolled an Ironbreaker so I'll get to see how the dwarf T1 PQ's are doing now.
    WAR is fantastic,it really is my favourite MMO out there but only when there are PQs,Keep raids,scenarios and lots of people actually out in the vast world.

Two friends of mine i was chatting to over the weekend want to get into an MMO,the only one they are interested in is WOW [wow is excellent,i love it if im being honest]
    They told me they were reading a few MMO websites which are stating similar concerns as i have expressed above and have been turned off WAR as a result,all they want now is wow which they have both subscribed to since the weekend.

What does WoW have that WAR doesn't? I notice they're adding xp in for PvP kills, senarios you can join while your anywhere in the game world and a few other things. Tiered rewards for stuff and things I can't remember.
    [you guessed it im in a queue atm]

You have tried order haven't you? :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Yeah i tried order,quite enjoyed some classes but overall much prefer destruction :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Apart from the Tier 1 PQs Ive havent been in any groups larger than 4 or 5 people. But later on thats all you need, I cleared a chapter 14 PQ with just 3 others last night all of which were below my level..

On saying that though, you dont see allot of people doing PQs that was my first one in about 5 levels. Scenario XP, if you keep winning is just too easy, 10K easy for doing fk all for 8 minutes or so not to mention the extra xp from Quests.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I think they need to increase the Exp and Renown for world RvR. Also, with PQ's, people seem content to just grind the 1st pq in an area, rather then actually team up to do the harder ones.

I'm still enjoying the game, and its my number one mmo over Warcraft now. But theres something about mmo's that just doesnt...do it for me anymore. I think its the lack of any proper story. I really am a story whore, and have started going back to my roots with single player games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

Kiith wrote: »
    I think they need to increase the Exp and Renown for world RvR. Also, with PQ's, people seem content to just grind the 1st pq in an area, rather then actually team up to do the harder ones.

Burning windmill on chapter 2 Empire, OMG, that's the only one lots of poeple do. It's so close to the town, those lasy bastards hardly want to go near the Norse invasion PQ at the beach.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭KingLoser

Mantel wrote: »
    Burning windmill on chapter 2 Empire, OMG, that's the only one lots of poeple do. It's so close to the town, those lasy bastards hardly want to go near the Norse invasion PQ at the beach.
    Wait til you get to "Welcome to Troll Country".. it's pretty much in the town! :D

I second Mantel, join Order. I haven't queue'd once since the split.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

/me sits at lvl 15 zealot

I'll be back in on monday hopefully the queues aren't as bad as you lot are making out to be, i'm only using this game as a kind of break from eve and other games every so often so hopefully i'll actually get to play. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

Queues seem much better now, 700+ was standard at prime time on eltharion about a week ago and today the highest it got was like 20 or 30 i think.

The game is still holding its appeal to me, though leveling has gotten noticeably slower as i am getting the same xp in t3 scenarios as i was in t2, but now i need much more xp per level. My main gripe is to do with the players rather than the game, in 4 levels of purely scenarios in t3 I have played Lost Temple maybe three times, Talabec Dam once(for 60 seconds then it abandoned the scenario), Tor Anroc 100000000000000000 times and the others not even once. People really need to start using the join all button :(

• Advertisement

Agree with Funky.
    Im still loving the game but also agree that the players are not helping the game.
    On my shaman i heal my ass off but when im on my sorceress i get little to NO heals.
    Every healer should be forced to play a sorceress or BW to see how the backlash works,they wouldnt be long about putting heals on the best dps class int the game if only they knew.
    As for scenarios,im T3 on both my sorceress and shaman and all ive played is Tor anroc but am so fed up of being knocked into the stupid lava.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

I have to agree with you about the heals. Very few shamans/zealots actually heal. Most try to use their crappy damage spells. Whereas I teamed up with another Black Orc and two Shamans earlier on a PQ and it was great fun, completely steamrollered it! :D

Just to add i love the shaman but find it a pain soloing as im full heal spec.
    I find at mid 20s i need full heal spec for T3 to keep big heals,the result is terrible dps for solo play hence why im playing my sorceress a bit more these days.
    I enjoy healing but it gets dull after a while so i can see myself levelling up the shaman and sorceress slowly instead of focusing on one.

I'm in the same boat Dcully. My shammy is also full healing specced and geared, so trying to do soloing is nigh impossible. I never die, but it takes ages to kill anything. Its like being a holy pally all over again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Statso

I haven't really experienced these queues everyone is talking about. I've had to queue twice only and both times it was no longer than 6 minutes. So i'm happy enough. :) I just wish people would do PQ's more though as they seem fun to me. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Nemesis

Im playing my Zealot and solo fine.

But I use a cunning plan Baldrick!.

I dont play any other class so I cant compare killing time and I also promised myself that I wouldnt be caught up in the levelling quickly thing.

In Scenarios I heal everyone non-stop btw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Ziggurat

Nemesis wrote: »
    Im playing my Zealot and solo fine.

But I use a cunning plan Baldrick!.

I dont play any other class so I cant compare killing time and I also promised myself that I wouldnt be caught up in the levelling quickly thing.

In Scenarios I heal everyone non-stop btw

You have the right idea there. With WoW I always felt I just had to level up and I never had fun with it (played to 20 and left).

Maybe it's because I'm playing on two roleplay servers (laugh all you want, guys) with people who actually roleplay but I'm definatly having fun.

Group of us, last week, on Order created a warband in the Empire Tier 1 area and took back Emskrank. Admittedly a group of order tanks with some healers steamrolled us (damn but Empire really misses out on tanks in cases like that) but I still had fun.
    I immersed myself in the feel of desperately fighting for control of a town.

I'm playing quite a few classes on both sides, just to get a feel for how they play and I'm enjoying them all.
    Still, there are times when I'm out wandering around and there's no one to be seen which usually means I have to grind the first phase of a few PQs.

As for healers not healing I must agree. I play healers specifically because I enjoy healing, buffing and generally helping teammates but more often than not I'm the only one propping up battered allies.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭KingLoser

Maybe it's because I'm playing on two roleplay servers (laugh all you want, guys) with people who actually roleplay but I'm definatly having fun.
    I've done this on other games, depending on the community, they can be really really good.. or really really bad. (Never a thee or thou outta me though, I just liked gaming with the nerdges.. :pac:)

Healing is both ways for me in scenarios.. and being a super squishy mellee (ogmwtf??) class, I notice when healers are good, or when they're being crap.

Although on a nice note, the more I noticed the latter, after checking the teams there usually just isn't any healers at all...

Still have no problems cutting down the dest zergs. :D

Order players seem to be getting better at running straight through our ranks, and killing the healers quickly, while destruction still dont see to get that tanks with a healer just doesnt die. Its really frustrating to see tanks running into a group of 5+ enemies, while the melee dps just run straight at me.

Still loving the game, although i dont have any time at all to play atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Order players seem to be getting better at running straight through our ranks, and killing the healers quickly, while destruction still dont see to get that tanks with a healer just doesnt die. Its really frustrating to see tanks running into a group of 5+ enemies, while the melee dps just run straight at me.

Heh, personally I am loving the aura that I have as Chosen that hurts them if they cast a spell at me or my buddies.
    Watching a Bright Wizard die when they cast an AoE is brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Isn't this what happens in wow?

How 2 horde can kill 3-4 equally geared alliance... Easy, horde has one dps and one healer (normally warrior, druid. But that doesn't matter)

Did we pick the wrong faction again kiith?

With ventrillo and that it may make things easier. I do find it hard to pick out the healer. I need to find more time to play also. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Varkov

normally warrior, druid. But that doesn't matter
    QUOTE]

huh?

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭GO_Bear

I can see what you mean about the decline in ppl in PQ's but i am in a guild which i was in , in DAoC for 3 years , so if we ever need to do a pq we can , but it is mostly RvR we looks for :p ,,

However a lvl 10 witchunter and warrior Priest duo when ye are sitting beside each other is rawx :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

Well I'm nearly LvL 20 now and TBH levelling is becoming a grindfest. I just log on for an hour or two in the evenings and do a few of the quests, which are all the same => kill X whatever, and do a few scenario's which get very repetitive after a while. It's a shame there are not more people on each server doing PQ's and open world RvR. :( . Also a proper LFG system needs to be implemented so that we can actually do the dungeons in the game, at the moment they are wasted IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭GO_Bear

Aye but why is every1 in a rush to get to the max level ?

Its going to be a while before a City take can be carried out and no high lvl dungeons as far as i know have been identified ( anyways best armor is from RvR ) :p so you might as well just RvR and try keep ur RR to your level :P

Aldorf has been taken on eight peaks by destruction.
    But yes i agree,im in no hurry im busy playing a shaman,zealot,sorceress and the odd scenario with a chosen :)
    Certainly no rush to 40 for me.
    I find any mmo is a grindfest if you have a burning desire to hit max level.
    Just take it easy and enjoy the content.
    Im not one for typing ding in guild chat etc so those that do we know your in a mad rush to max out :)

GO_Bear wrote: »
    Aye but why is every1 in a rush to get to the max level ?

so you might as well just RvR and try keep ur RR to your level :P
    Yeah but the only real way to do that is to grind scenario's over and over again.

Certainly no rush to 40 for me.
    I find any mmo is a grindfest if you have a burning desire to hit max level.
    Just take it easy and enjoy the content.
    Im not one for typing ding in guild chat etc so those that do we know your in a mad rush to max out :)
    I am not in a rush either and I don't type ding (except when I hit max level :)) but the content that is there is not viable IMO. you can't run the low level dungeons and there are some great PQ's with nobody doing them and open world RvR is non-existant. Its just a "what could be" rant I guess. Live the dream and so on...

I suppose I am just impatient tis early days yet. There's a 10/10 game in there somewhere and I want it now!!! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

I've noticed a serious lack of people doing the tier 2 PQ's on Azgal. Often your lucky to get even 2 or 3 other people in on it with you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Roy Rogers

Hmm, I've just got a new gaming PC for the first time in years, and I'd like to try an MMO.

From what I've read in other places, WAR seems to be pretty decent for someone who doesn't want to dedicate 30% of their life to a game.

I think I'd like to play Order, so from what I gather on this thread, I wouldn't have queues to get into a server. Still though, I've never really played an MMO before so not sure what to expect tbh :D

Advertisement