Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fact or urban legend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭VickBack

Thats probably one of the biggest reasons I would never get a tattoo that was in a language I couldn't understand!!

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Sweet Jesus! This is why it's a good idea to research tattoos before you get them! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Kinda funny though..
    ‘I wanted a stack of skulls on my back,’ said murderer Jimmy Drake, “and that Asian prick gave me a giant Winnie the Pooh!”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭tayto909

heard of the '..this is an ugly boy' one before..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ebmma

Diceicle wrote: »
    So do you think this actually happens or is it something of an urban legend to scare people off getting Japanese lettering tats?
    http://tattooique.com/info/prank-tattoo-lettering-the-artists-riot/

Have a read and let us know.

Happened to one of the girl's from work boyfriend.
    He asked for "Power" but got "Welcome instead.

He found out because lots of people in McDonalds are Chinese :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

These will always make me think of little miss "Drugáil Saor".:D
    http://news.bmezine.com/2007/02/23/drugail-saor/
    IMO if you get a tattoo in a language that's not your own and you're stupid enough to not even go out and learn the language first you have no right to complain if you do then discover that the tattoo says something other than what you'd wanted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

:D That girl... jeebus. There was another irish language one recently but didn't say anything about it. Ignorance is bliss and didn't wanna burst the bubble

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

It's funny how some people decide to get symbols or foreign language tattoos and do absolutely no checking into what they actually mean.

A friend of mine's grandfather recently passed away, and he decided to get 'Grandfather' in Arabic tattooed on his lower back. He found an online english/arabic dictionary (never even knew one of those existed!) and found his translation. I have a couple of friends who are Muslim, and I was meeting one (Aisha) of them about 2 weeks before he had planned to go in and get it done, so I brought the design in with me to show my friend. It turned out that the translation he had gotten off the net actually meant 'Grandmother', which wasn't too far off the mark, but still it wasn't what he wanted.

Aisha couldn't believe he'd just typed the word into an online dictionary and was going to get it permanently etched into his body! She was saying one guy who she knows in college got something he thought was 'Believe in yourself' in Arabic, but she said it was just gobbledegook, it didn't actually mean anything, and she hadn't the heart to tell him cos he was so delighted with it! She drew up the right word and my friend got the tattoo a couple of weeks later. Luckily, with the right meaning :rolleyes:

Either that or Aisha's a very cunning person.:p

farohar wrote: »
    Either that or Aisha's a very cunning person.:p

Ooooooohhhhhhh!!!!!!:eek:

• Advertisement

Toots85 wrote: »
    Ooooooohhhhhhh!!!!!!:eek:

"Trust no-one" and all that...;)

But.....if you can't trust your friends.......:(

Oh jesus I'd feckin kill someone if they did that to me!!!:eek::eek:

Assuming you ever find out...:p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

A friend of mine (who has no chinese heritage), decided to get "Sexy" tattood on her leg, in Chinese. We slagged her saying, that it probably said "Egg Fried Rice" or something. So to relax her mind, she asked a chinese person to translate it, to which he replied
    "It means to have sex".

Close enough, but not quite. Every chinese person who sees it, probably thinks she's a very undiscrete prostitute.

Serves her right though. Would you walk around with "Sexy" tattood on you in English?

Blisterman wrote: »
    Serves her right though. Would you walk around with "Sexy" tattood on you in English?

I've seen people with that tattooed on them. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Lilliput69

LMAO yeh why get something that very few of ur peers can read, u have to tell em what it means and then they go and google it and tell u what a twat ya are LMAO

Advertisement