Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magnet in Cork

Options
  • 08-10-2008 8:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭

I'm getting in broadband. My plan had been to get UPC's 20 meg package, but apparently the service has gone to hell, and having delt with Chorus in the past i'm in no rush to do so again - esp when it's with a service anything more complex than the TV service which they have problems with at times.

So below I have questions!

Does anyone have Magnet in Cork? How fast/consistant is it? I'm up in St Finnbarrs Cathedral/Gillabbeys St area, if that's any help.

Also, we don't have an active phone line into the house. Does anyone know what the story with that? Do I need to contact Eircom first, and get the line turned on (and if so how much does that cost?) or can/do Magnet do all this? (included in installation cost?)

Much appreciated, AFC_1903

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Magnet offer up to 24mb/s BB.

The problem is that it depends on the quality of your phone line, so no one can tell you what you'll get until you connect to them.

Also you will need to get Eircom to reconnect your phone line and then you transfer to Magnet.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭WezzyB

Just got magnet installed here in Dublin, on the Phibsboro Exchange.
    I'm about 2.5 Km from Exchange and am getting just over 10 Megs which is pretty good. I actually ordered the (up to) 24 Meg product, but this is all my line can handle, am pretty happy with it. My broadband was down for a week, which was a shame, they actually had a router sent to me, but it turned out that it wasn't configured correctly, an engineer came out yesterday and replace it.
    If you have any questions just give them a call.....

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

WezzyB wrote: »
    I'm about 2.5 Km from Exchange and am getting just over 10 Megs which is pretty good. I actually ordered the (up to) 24 Meg product, but this is all my line can handle, am pretty happy with it. ..

As you can only get 10m, you could downgrade to the 10m product and save yourself €10 per month.

However you might only end up getting 8m, it depends on how Magnet define 10m, does the 10m include or exclude the 15% IP overhead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

The sync rate will be capped at 10Mb, so the overhead penalties will apply.

Advertisement