Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy Newcastle Brown Ale Bottles?

Options
  • 08-10-2008 8:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for an off licence in dublin that sells bottles of Newcastle Brown Ale for a reasonable price! It seems the cans are available in a lot of supermarkets, e.g. €1.40 in Dunnes. But in the few off licences I found the bottles in, it was crazy money, something like 3.59 in one! So just wondering if anyone noticed it for good value in their offie?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

It's an oddity I've often pondered myself. They're presumably coming in from different suppliers working on completely different models. But unfortunately, no: I've never seen bottled Newkie Brown being sold for a price approximating the canned version.

So, have you tried a blind tasting of both versions to see if there's actually any point to your search?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭coillcam

Not sure on Offies at all. No real advantage to you but I got them in the porterhouse(s) several times for just under a fiver.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Just be aware that those bottles don't shift of the shelf's that fast and clear bottle has a good risk of been light struck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

BeerNut wrote: »
    So, have you tried a blind tasting of both versions to see if there's actually any point to your search?
    TBH the main reason I want the bottles is cos they look cooler! I think they are actually pint bottles too, not 500ml. That extra 60ml or whatever it is, is probably the reason they're double the price

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Quint wrote: »
    TBH the main reason I want the bottles is cos they look cooler!
    1 bottle, 6 cans, and a funnel. Job done.
    Quint wrote: »
    I think they are actually pint bottles too, not 500ml. That extra 60ml or whatever it is, is probably the reason they're double the price
    They're 500ml, but in looking that up I discovered a possible reason they're so dear: the bottles are returnable and have a deposit on them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Looking here they're 550ml

Advertisement