Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a job (or experience)

Options
  • 08-10-2008 8:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi guys,

I've been looking into getting a job in software dev but I have absolutely nowhere to start. Near every job I've seen advertised requires 2 years experience along with 3rd level qualifications.

Experience-wise, I've got an ordinary degree in Electronics & Computer Engineering (included 1 year of VB, 1 year of C & assembly, 1 year of java). I've also got a boatload of personal web dev experience including HTML, PHP, Python, CSS, MySQL, JavaScript & XML with one national organization site published (done for a friend).

Currently I'm working in a big corporation, just on a helpdesk. I've been here 6 months, become second level support, and now assistant team leader. I've asked my managers and HR people about moving within the company to software and they haven't been able to give me any help or even advice.

Now my problem is that every software dev job I've applied for has turned me down with a common reason: Not enough professional experience.

My question to you is: How did you get into professional development in the first place?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Hi,

My story is I applied for loads of grad jobs when I was finishing my degree, came close to getting a position in Intel Shannon and got offered a position in Analog Devices, Limerick.

The fact you have done both a mix of Electronic and Software Dev in your course would make you attractive to companies like this. Off the top of my head, Cisco Systems in Galway may be a good bet too.

They are big hirers of grads so could be worth a shot. Once you get on the ladder at all things get easier.

Feel free to drop me a PM if you want more info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

This is what I'd do if I were you -

1. Do lots of small jobs on www.scriptlance.com. You'll make **** money but you'll get experience for your CV.
    2. Apply for these sorts of jobs: http://www.carzone.ie/jobs/index.cfm?jobCode=dev1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭sh_o

You could also try http://www.volunteeringireland.ie/ it generally pays less than script alliance though:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

By the way, I wouldn't take much notice of job requirements.

Many places would like some-one with 2-3 years experience but they might not be able to get these people.

It's always worth chancing the arm a bit, I got a job last November and didn't meet most of their advertised requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭Mr. Flibble

I was in the same position as you after finishing an electronics degree (ok. perhaps minus the bootload of personal web-dev experience). I did a 1yr Software masters which had 6 month work placement and didn't have much trouble getting a job after that.

You may be interested in this job here:
    http://www.pocketkingscareers.ie/job/Junior_Web_Developer_Payments_Team.php

or any of the other jobs listed there. If you (or anyone reading this) applies there please select employee referral and enter Conor McCarthy as as your referrer.

• Advertisement

You may be interested in this job here:
    http://www.pocketkingscareers.ie/job/Junior_Web_Developer_Payments_Team.php

or any of the other jobs listed there. If you (or anyone reading this) applies there please select employee referral and enter Conor McCarthy as as your referrer.

Yep, I know a couple of people working there (who would have difficulty getting a job anywhere else) and were hired no bother, so I reckon if you are ok working for a gambling company you should send them your CV.

From what I hear they are experiencing massive growth and are desperate for staff.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭Mr. Flibble

AARRRGH wrote: »
    Yep, I know a couple of people working there (who would have difficulty getting a job anywhere else) and were hired no bother

This will be highly dependent on department and job role.

This will be highly dependent on department and job role.

Dev & QA anyway (for example, I know one developer who was fired from his previous job and who I can only describe as "insane", and a QA person who was fired from her previous job and I will describe as "inexperienced".)

My point was not to knock pocket kings, but rather point out the OP has a good chance of getting a job there. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

You could also join an Open Source project and get some experience there

Advertisement