Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some advice?

• 08-10-2008 9:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 346 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Wonder if you can help me. Ive recently taken an interest in computer programming and Im doing some short online courses to get started. Im really liking it and Im thinking about applying for the computer science and software eng. course at NUI Maynooth (MH203) next year.

Im just trying to get an idea of the attendance every week. Is it like secondary school (9am to 4pm) sort of thing or is it a couple of hours here and there every day with more emphasis on studying and assignments off campus?

Im living in Maynooth and currently working full time on nights in a large IT company, and would prefer not to leave for a part time job. I think I would be ok staying on full time as all I do is answer phones, which gives me lots of time for studying and doing assignments in work etc.

Any first hand advice would be much appreciated!

Cheers,
    S :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Hey

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055364695

Read that topic first, should answer all your questions. The timetable in first year is around 20 hours, between 9 and 6 monday to friday. Randomly positioned. Could be off one day, could be in 6 hours another.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 346 ✭✭sadista

Whoa speedy reply! Thanks! Found a link in that thread to the cs dept in nuim and checked the timetables, only nine hours a week for year 1. So I will be able to continue on in my full time job for at least a year. Cheers for the info!:D

I found another timetable on that thread also that looks like it has a lot more subjects on it. Is the one I was looking at the basic core timetable without the options?
    (http://www.cs.nuim.ie/timetables/Sem1/CSSE1.htm)

If so silly mistake LOL. knew It couldnt have been that easy!

Also do many girls do this course or is it mainly lads? Would be nice if there were some fellow females alongside me!

In first year of CSSE you do computer science, maths and two other science subjects, you need to checkout this timetable; http://www.maths.nuim.ie/staff/dredmond/timetable/1SCIENCE.html

Pick two other subjects from chemistry, mathematical physics, biology, experimental physics. Also you will have labs in them (bar maphys) and also tutorials. Altogether it adds up to about 20 hours.

Eh, it's mainly guys yeah. In first year you're in with first science, which is an even mix, but the pure CSSE stream (which doesn't split until 2nd year) is probably a ratio about about 6:1 guys to girls or there abouts.

6:1 guys to girls eh?... pity im not single lol

• Advertisement

Had a look at that timetable it makes a bit more sense, so the labs arent included on this timetable? I spose 20 hours is doable. Il be workin fri sat and sunday night so the only thing that will suffer is my social life...

No, labs aren't included. They're 2-3 hours each in first year I think, for exphys, bio, chem, cs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

Computer science lab is 3 hours a week.

Yes, but you have to include the labs from the two other science subjects you pick as well

so if i chose mathematical physics i would only have 2 labs every week? anyone do this subject? Is it really hard?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭moggins7

sadista wrote: »
    so if i chose mathematical physics i would only have 2 labs every week? anyone do this subject? Is it really hard?

i did math, math phys, phys, an chem last year, math physics is prob the easiest out of the lot and the heff is a legend!!:D

its somewhere around 21hrs a week for you in first year goes up in second year alright... but you should be ok working nights, besides the lack of sleep you'll be gettin....

Advertisement