Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC modem

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Well if some of the lights are not in it is indicative that the fault is outside of the modem rather than with the modem itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

My brother has a modem the same as in the link, but it stopped working as some of the lights are not on hence he has no signal. After trying to contact UPC and being put on hold for over an hour to speak to someone, he wants to buy one from ebay. But the issue is if he buys it will it work even if is an NTL modem and the same as his.

http://cgi.ebay.ie/Virgin-NTL-200-Cable-Modem-UNUSED-MAC-on-BOTTOM_W0QQitemZ380070570435QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item380070570435&_trkparms=39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A1%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

I think even if you buy it in eBay it might not work, I think the modem serial and/or MAC address is configure in UPC system to activate and linked to your account.

Best is to try UPC again they will probably replace it for the newer version.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Payton

But if he takes my modem up to his house it works fine and he can browse away no problem, which he has a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

But if he takes my modem up to his house it works fine and he can browse away no problem, which he has a few times.
    He'd be wasting his money to replace a modem that's working elsewhere. It's almost guaranteed that there's a problem with some part of the NTL end of things, or a dodgy cable inside your house or suchlike. As it worked before, you'll have to pursue it with NTL.

If you can't bear the thought of waiting to speak to someone in NTL, a registered letter to NTL might do the trick??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

He'd be wasting his money to replace a modem that's working elsewhere. It's almost guaranteed that there's a problem with some part of the NTL end of things, or a dodgy cable inside your house or suchlike. As it worked before, you'll have to pursue it with NTL.

If you can't bear the thought of waiting to speak to someone in NTL, a registered letter to NTL might do the trick??

To test connect the modem to the 1st NTL/UPC point (where the signal comes in), that way you can narrow down the source of the problem. If it works there the problem is in the 1 of the cables in the house but if it doesn't work the problem is outside the house, could be on the connection in the house or the box (probably end of the road or entrance to state) either way contact NTL and they will fix.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

You can't use third party cable modems, the provisioning needs to be set.

Get on to UPC and get them to fix, when it turns out it was their network, ensure you get compensation for the down time.

paulm17781 wrote: »
    You can't use third party cable modems, the provisioning needs to be set.

Get on to UPC and get them to fix, when it turns out it was their network, ensure you get compensation for the down time.

OH yes you can.;)

cisk wrote: »
    OH yes you can.;)

Sigh... Some people... It is against the law. Not UPCs rules, the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

How is it against the law to use your own cable modem?

Soundman wrote: »
    How is it against the law to use your own cable modem?

Because it isn't provisioned by UPC hence it could be used to obtain a frequency you're not allowed use without UPC allowing - stealing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

OH yes you can.;)

Oh no you can't.

Not without illegally hacking. Even then if they are using DOCSIS2.0 or DOCSIS3.0 properly you can't get a different one to work at all at all. If you HAVE a cable sub and use a modem of your own (somehow, unlikely on proper DOCSIS2.0), technically if it's only replacing a modem, it's not theft of service but breaking UPCs rules/Contract. If it does one jot different, or you have no sub, then it's Criminal, theft of service.

Generally the cable modem for Company "Y" will work ANYWHERE on Company "Y"'s network but not at all on someone else's network.

ALSO
    I bought about 6 different types of Modem (some on eBay) for some tests and even with legitimate access to a "provisioning system"* some won't work.

Also Europe is mostly 8MHz, a North American 6MHz modem (with physical filter) won't work at all ever on 8MHz.

You must get UPC to sort the problems. It's not like ADSL. You are breaking T&C and mostly (or Always) impossible to use an arbitrary 3rd party cable modem.

(*There are at least 5 or 6 different operators with cable technology, not just UPC. Not all have the same security or provisoning systems, nor same spec of modems).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

Because it isn't provisioned by UPC hence it could be used to obtain a frequency you're not allowed use without UPC allowing - stealing.

Never mind. I had confused myself. I was thinking of the wireless cable router, and not the main cable modem to which you were referring.

watty wrote: »
    Oh no you can't.

Not without illegally hacking. Even then if they are using DOCSIS2.0 or DOCSIS3.0 properly you can't get a different one to work at all at all. If you HAVE a cable sub and use a modem of your own (somehow, unlikely on proper DOCSIS2.0), technically if it's only replacing a modem, it's not theft of service but breaking UPCs rules/Contract. If it does one jot different, or you have no sub, then it's Criminal, theft of service.

Generally the cable modem for Company "Y" will work ANYWHERE on Company "Y"'s network but not at all on someone else's network.

ALSO
    I bought about 6 different types of Modem (some on eBay) for some tests and even with legitimate access to a "provisioning system"* some won't work.

Also Europe is mostly 8MHz, a North American 6MHz modem (with physical filter) won't work at all ever on 8MHz.

You must get UPC to sort the problems. It's not like ADSL. You are breaking T&C and mostly (or Always) impossible to use an arbitrary 3rd party cable modem.

(*There are at least 5 or 6 different operators with cable technology, not just UPC. Not all have the same security or provisoning systems, nor same spec of modems).

I was talking in a physical manner, YOU CAN connect a 3rd party modem and obtain service.

Never said anything about laws or T&C.

And there is next to no security, the whole system relies on MAC addresses and nothing else, BPI+ is a new feature but can be bypassed with ease.

I was talking in a physical manner, YOU CAN connect a 3rd party modem and obtain service.

You are not allowed by T&C or law.

I can pour water over a computer. It doesn't mean I should.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Never said anything about laws or T&C.

And there is next to no security, the whole system relies on MAC addresses and nothing else, BPI+ is a new feature but can be bypassed with ease.

ANY discussion of breaching UPC's T&C's by connecting unauthorized equipment to there service will result in the post being deleted and the user being banned.

This is everyone's ONLY warning!

I can pour water over a computer. It doesn't mean I should.

Yes but YOU can, Saying you cant would be incorrect.

Anyways i wont be discussing it any further, there are better places for that.

Ill leave yous who are happy to let the CC provide you with a way below par service ( Boards is full of examples) and do nothing about it besides ringing there useless customer care.

Oh and heres my speedtest to make yous smile, i find it ironic that i get better service than 99% of anyone else ive seen.

294920662.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Ill leave yous who are happy to let the CC provide you with a way below par service ( Boards is full of examples) and do nothing about it besides ringing there useless customer care.

Oh and heres my speedtest to make yous smile, i find it ironic that i get better service than 99% of anyone else ive seen.
    Since most of NTL's problems lately seem to be DNS/Routing based, then it doesn't matter what make or model of cable modem you use :pac:. Besides, it's screamingly obvious, if they wished, to detect a non-standard cablemodem, and I wouldn't go around bragging about it either.

Besides, it's screamingly obvious, if they wished, to detect a non-standard cablemodem,

Yes thats correct you know best. :p

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

cisk, if you want a sig then use the proper sig function, image removed

Advertisement