Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you ever think Donegal Town will get going?

Options
  • 08-10-2008 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭

HI,
    Just to see what others think..
    With all the stuff that has being going on around Donegal Town over the last few years,to do with development,Does anyone ever believe that building work will get going?
    I was at home during the week and I see that Kellys site has kinda gone stale..,I haven't heard anything more about Kenneys development (the only man to get the green light untill kellys).. Do you think that we have missed the boat or what?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 C\m\C

i personally love donegal (being dublin man) and regularly visit the beautiful county.
    only wish i could live there all the time.

haven't noticed this construction you mention, but certainly there is over-construction where its not necessary. (sorry folks)

for many years, it struck me as a barron landscape, untouched.
    however, its definitely changed in last 10 or more years.

donegal has prospered as a result of this effort, something donegal can be proud of.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

With the big credit crunch, I can't see much happening in the town now for a while, be it Keeney, Bennett or Kelly.

Kelly's have started excavation on their site, which is now going to be phased, it seems. Doubt if there's a big panic to get it complete though.

I'd love to see Keeneys development start, but don't think anything has been done yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,382 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

kellys site (millers hill is still going i think) the problem is its a huge groundworks exercise and you will spend millions before building anything. i heard they reckon they ahave to move 30 thousand lorry loads of spoil out in total but first they have to put a road in and then put concrete piles in to hold the hill back. so dont expect buildings there anytime soon. havent heard it
    noticed the car park was full of mud again this morning (another couple of lorry loads less i guess)

keeny seems more interested in objecting to everything than actually building (someone i know could tell you stories about him). i think he cant get an anchor tenent and wont do anything until he has.

did i notice the schooner reopening i thought thats where the entrance to keeny's site was so ???

have we missed the boat yes, but the original developments proposed were pretty terrible so no bad
    thing there, the mart will get nothing keeny will make sure of that. hopefully we'll get a tesco, penny's or dunnes out of one of them but not for a t least 2 years.

byte

I thought Keeney had Tesco as an anchor? Obviously not. Am I right in thinking he is good to go with his development with relation to Planning Permission? Or is ABP or Bennett still expected to object to that also?

Keeney owns Schooner's but it has been listed as a protected building (the only one in the town I'm told), and as such he can't toss it. He has leased it out instead.

From what I'm told, the entrance is to be past the hospital somewhere now, I believe. He has built new houses for whoever's house(s) he's tossing to make a road (I can't remember the person's name now and probably not for the public domain anyway).

As for the mart... pfft. It's an ongoing saga, and will remain so for the forseeable future, as far as I can see.

Anyway, with the banks closing their wallets hastily, I can't imagine any developer will find it easy getting any finances to put their projects into action.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭bettlebrox

byte wrote: »
    Keeney owns Schooner's but it has been listed as a protected building (the only one in the town I'm told), and as such he can't toss it. He has leased it out instead.

Someone told me that there's bullet holes in one of the walls from during the War of Independence where the IRA shot at some Black'n'Tans who were in there drinking. I wonder if that's why it's protected?

• Advertisement
    byte

bettlebrox wrote: »
    Someone told me that there's bullet holes in one of the walls from during the War of Independence where the IRA shot at some Black'n'Tans who were in there drinking. I wonder if that's why it's protected?
    Yes, I've heard that from quite a few people. I believe it to be true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭extopia

byte wrote: »
    Yes, I've heard that from quite a few people. I believe it to be true.

Hopefully the development around the car park will never happen - ridiculous site, absolutely preposterous what's proposed for there!

extopia wrote: »
    Hopefully the development around the car park will never happen - ridiculous site, absolutely preposterous what's proposed for there!

well considering the excavations have started again you may not have much hope there have you seen the size of the hole already dug ????
    I reckon a quarter has been excavated already. hopefully the cinema will go in but i'm not holding my breath for anything

1000th post

It's a while since I looked closely at the site, but last time it seemed to be mainly tree-clearing, where's the recent big hole at?

I'd love to see a cinema too (a sustainable one, not necessarily a multiplex). But I really think the proposed development, with major retail, cafes, cinemas, offices, apartments etc etc is not going to work.

he hole is in behind the old custom offices. and the spoil is coming out up towards supervalue

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

Is there anywhere online that the plans can be viewed? or even in the town itself?

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

bohsboy wrote: »
    Is there anywhere online that the plans can be viewed? or even in the town itself?
    Here. use the shortcuts on the left and then you will have options to do a map search or enter the applicants name or townland.

http://www.donegal.ie/DCC/iplaninternet/internetenquiry/rpt_ViewApplicDetails.asp?validFileNum=1&app_num_file=0621182

Click on the button marked "View Related Documents". There's a trove of plans, drawings and other documents listed, although I couldn't view them myself (maybe because I'm using a mac at the moment).

Advertisement