Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seriously , what has happened.

Options
  • 08-10-2008 9:24pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 60 ✭✭

Why on earth is broadband so bad in Ireland compared to other countries. It took me swapping between 4 providers just to find one which gave a decent stable connection.

Then eircom do these line upgrades , and since then my nets been terrible. Had 30 ping to all uk servers now its minimum 100 ( interleaving i persume ) and 200+ on certain ones which i suppose is down to eircom wrecking up some routing.

Will this ever be resolved?Ive sent 3 emails to my provider with not one response. What else can i do to get my good net back :'(. Worst part of it all is my net wasnt even upgraded , still remains at 2mb.

Rant over , and dont link me to old threads about this. Want to know what current situation is :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭joenailface

eircom are crap, line upgrades my arse, downgrades more like it, i can bearly use my internet since it came in, loading pages takes two minutes, my net is down every hour, my pings are in the 100's to most uk servers where i used to get pings between 20 and 30, my line attenuation and speed change randomally, only one company could possibly make an upgrade on broadband worse than before and thats our boys eircom, even after it was delayed from may to august (and in your case october hopefully) they still managed to **** it up and charge me extraordinary rates for my worst connection since dial up. maybe when the government decides to stop letting eircom suckle at its tit and actually impose sanctions on them for being the most incompitant company on the face of the planet will we ever hope to see changes.

to anyone who disagrees id like to point out that ethopia has better broadband access than ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

only one company could possibly make an upgrade on broadband worse than before and thats our boys eircom

Actually UPC has been doing a fantastic job f*****g up their own network too since the last batch of "upgrades" and they can't even blame Eircom since they are completely independent of them. Just look at all the threads around here... Still, I do agree that Eircom is a joke essentially and I was happy to dump them (phone line included) years ago. The problem is that there aren't a lot of viable alternatives either...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,826 ✭✭✭SeanW

to anyone who disagrees id like to point out that ethopia has better broadband access than ireland.
    No disagreements about €ircon, but how do you know Ethiopia has better broadband access?

twas designed to be a believeable joke, the fact that you questioned it instead of dismissing it proves my point that you think it could be possible :D which makes a statement in itself

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 60 ✭✭spixel

I`m actually not on eircom , im on gaelic telecom which they resell off eircom if im correct? Anyways its been eircom whos been making a shambles out of everyones connection.
    Is there anyway to get interleaving off if your not an eircom customer? If your with a reseller like irishbroadband or imagine can they turn it off , or do you have to get in contact with eircom who will just hush you away cause your not their customer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

spixel wrote: »
    or do you have to get in contact with eircom who will just hush you away cause your not their customer.

eircom will indeed hush you away, if you're with a reseller, so you must contact your own provider who will in turn ask eircom to switch it off (if they can't do it themselves). This can be somewhat problematic though, as some of the resellers may not know anything about this, or how to go about requesting it from eircom. You'll need to get through to someone who knows what they're doing, when you request this.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

spixel wrote: »
    I`m actually not on eircom , im on gaelic telecom which they resell off eircom if im correct? Anyways its been eircom whos been making a shambles out of everyones connection.
    Is there anyway to get interleaving off if your not an eircom customer? If your with a reseller like irishbroadband or imagine can they turn it off , or do you have to get in contact with eircom who will just hush you away cause your not their customer.

Well, you are with a reseller and then, they are not a reseller on the other side. You've got to understand, what and how they are a reseller first.

As you are with Gaelic Telecom/Imagine, I'll take that as an example.

Bitstream, what they sell, means that you are sitting on an Eircom DSLAM, with Eircom customers and other bistream customers. So the local limitations imply on everybody, that meaning the contention, the bad lines and the connection out of the exchange.

From the DSLAM Eircom then throws the connection as a tunnel to the "reseller", in your case Imagine. So if the issue was related to the internet connectivity, that your provider has, then changing providers could help.

If however, and this is the case since the upgrades, the problem is locally in the exchange, then you basically just are screwed. Your only way around is a decent fixed wireless provider, cable tv (which also is gone to rubbish) or a LLU provider on an unbundled exchange.

/Martin

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Xennon

Why on earth is broadband so bad in Ireland compared to other countries.

Simple answer: We sold our phonelines to a private company.

Convoluted Answer: Eircom was privatised and sold complete with the nations communications infrastructure to a company. This companys main objective, like any other company, is to make money for its shareholders. People blame Eircom, which is wrong in my opinion, as far as I can see Eircom are making quiet a healthy profit which means they are meeting their main objective. If anyone wants to point fingers then it should be at the people who sold off the infrastucture in the first place. What should have happened was the infrastructure sold seperately (or maintained by the state) to the Communications division of the old P&T. This would have allowed the exchanges to be unbundled at a much faster rate and provide a level playing field for communications companies in this country.
    Those responsible for this mess, have had many oppertunities to rectify this as Eircom has been up for sale quiet a few times recently, but that would mean admitting a mistake in the first place. And so we continue to patch the wound rather than treating it, pretty standard irish government maneuver.

agreed xennon but still, it doesnt explain WHY this happened in ireland and is rare anywhere else, i told a friend of mine from canada i was on 3mb broadband a few years ago and his reply was '3MB!!!! seriously!? i havnt used 3mb since 1997' that one is completely true but he's a bit of a nerd so he might have been getting the absolute best he could find, but still, isdn was a luxery in ireland back then...

I got upgraded to 7.6mbps and lookie at my line statistics right now

Speed : 3616/416 (kbps)
    Line Attenuation : 48/31 dB

there is generally nothing wrong with my attenuation and my speed usually reads 7616 or something simular...eir***** ftl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Xennon wrote: »
    Simple answer: We sold our phonelines to a private company.

You got it, Ireland is the only place in the world with a privately owned telephone company and hence we're stuck in the dark ages.

• Advertisement

does america have a nationwide phone company? or state narrow even?

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Xennon

It happened becuase we let it happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

does america have a nationwide phone company? or state narrow even?

Let me tell you a story...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell_System

Advertisement