Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

thinking about getting my first road bike

Options
  • 08-10-2008 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭

Hoping to get some advice on what I should look for in a road bike. Actually I thought this forum would be overrun with posts like this but it seems like everyone already knows their stuff.

I've always rode a mountain bike. I've a fairly cheap one at the moment which is in bad shape. Not sure if I will try to fix it up or not, or if it's even worthwhile. But either way I'd also like to get a road bike to make the cycling easier.

I live in Dublin and cycle almost everywhere I need to go, about 5-15 km a day 5-6 days a week. Occasionally I'll need to go longer distances. I don't need anything too fancy, especially because it will often get left outside overnight or locked in a public place.

Should I just go to my local bike shop and ask what they recommend? I'd rather buy online if it will be cheaper, but on the other hand there is an attraction in seeing exactly what you are getting before you buy. If I go to a bike shop what are some important things I should look for? What can I expect to pay for something reliable?

Sorry if this post sounds hopelessly noobish, thanks in advance for your help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

The first question is what's your budget? I think what's called a "Hybrid" bike would be what you most likely looking for. A Hybrid is like a road bike only with flat handlebars and not the drop ones you see on “Road” bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

I would HIGHLY recommend a bike shop. Just ask around what bike shops in your area are reputible.

Net is fine for parts etc when you know exactly what you want, but for a first road bike somebody who knows what they are on about and provides decent cust serv is essential. It will make all the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

RoundTower wrote: »
    I don't need anything too fancy, especially because it will often get left outside overnight or locked in a public place.

I would consider buying a second hand "junker" type hybrid if this is the case, so you don't mind it getting swiped as much as a shiny new bike. Any bike left overnight is playing a risky game with opportunistic thieves..

Why do you need to leave it lying around?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Online is good for price, but it's the range of products which makes it a winner for me. You can measure yourself, and pretty much everything you need to know is online if you have the time to do the research.

I bought my bike online/by telephone from a UK bike shop. They had the model I was after at a good price, would customize the build with whatever components I wanted, and offered friendly, informed advice. The only problem was a bit of guessing over frame sizing, and you really don't want to get that wrong.

Went into two LBSs in central Dublin the other day. A bit depressing. Very limited range, "shruggy" customer service.

If I had a decent LBS things might be different, but I don't and there's not much to be gained from getting chummy with one 10 miles away.

Maybe I should move to Dundrum...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

If it is for utility cycling (and it sounds like it is) make sure you get something with a rear rack and mudguards.

A hybrid that takes these could be a good option, or a tourer if you wanted drop bars.

I would only get a road bike if you are planning on using it for longer leisure spins at the weekends, say 40-50km+.

If it is mostly on the flat around town and you are reasonably fit a fixie or singlespeed could be a very good idea, low maintenance and very good fun. I'd be careful there though as many don't take racks or mudguards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭RoundTower

thanks everyone for your input. I'll answer some of these questions to help narrow things down.
    Hungrycol wrote: »
    The first question is what's your budget? I think what's called a "Hybrid" bike would be what you most likely looking for. A Hybrid is like a road bike only with flat handlebars and not the drop ones you see on “Road” bikes.

I'd hope to spend less than €500, I'd be happy to spend a good bit less than that if it still meant a reliable bike.
    DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    I would consider buying a second hand "junker" type hybrid if this is the case, so you don't mind it getting swiped as much as a shiny new bike. Any bike left overnight is playing a risky game with opportunistic thieves..

Why do you need to leave it lying around?

Sorry if that was confusing -- I don't intend to leave it outside in public places overnight. But I don't have anywhere to keep it indoors so it would be outside my house overnight/often parked in public places during the day. Is it easy to get a good second hand bike? I'd be perfectly happy with one so long as it was in good condition.
    topper75 wrote: »
    I would HIGHLY recommend a bike shop. Just ask around what bike shops in your area are reputible.

Net is fine for parts etc when you know exactly what you want, but for a first road bike somebody who knows what they are on about and provides decent cust serv is essential. It will make all the difference.

I'm in Rathgar, it's not far for me to get to the city centre or as far out as Tallaght if necessary. Someone mentioned Dundrum which is just round the corner, where do you recommend there?
    blorg wrote: »
    If it is for utility cycling (and it sounds like it is) make sure you get something with a rear rack and mudguards.

A hybrid that takes these could be a good option, or a tourer if you wanted drop bars.

I would only get a road bike if you are planning on using it for longer leisure spins at the weekends, say 40-50km+.

If it is mostly on the flat around town and you are reasonably fit a fixie or singlespeed could be a very good idea, low maintenance and very good fun. I'd be careful there though as many don't take racks or mudguards.

cheers, hybrid sounds like a good idea. I don't think I'd be interested in a fixie/single speed bike right now, I'm always surprised just how many hills there are around and I like being able to coast or climb hills easily. The reason I'm thinking of a new bike is to make the cycling easier, not tougher. If I do a 50k cycle 5 times a year that would be a lot, so that's not really an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭RoundTower

about a rear rack and mudgards - do these normally come with the bike or will they go on the bike if I pick them up separately?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Some "city" bikes come with a rack and mudguards but the vast majority of hybrids will have mounting points for them to be added later. Worth checking though and if you are buying in a shop may as well get them fitted when you buy the bike. Full length mudguards like SKS Chromoplastics are the best but an absolute bitch to get on (not your problem if the bike shop is doing it for you :D) If you want something easier than your mountain bike I'd consider an entry level hybrid like a Dawes Discovery or Trek FX series, avoiding any front suspension.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Joe Daly's in Dundrum (Just under the Luas bridge).

I got my brother a Trek 7.0 FX, nice bike (well, personally I couldn't get used to it, felt weird being so upright!) but a bit pricey at €400.

Check out adverts for some good bargains.

I would second Blorg's tip about the singlespeed/fixie. Great for around town, nearly zero maintenance and they don't look very flashy to the untrained eye (might deter thieves somewhat, but it seems to depend more on location and lock combination, however some bikes are cited as being more "stealable" than others).

Advertisement