Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Insurance Query

Options
  • 08-10-2008 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭

Hi,

I am wondering if, lets say, i buy car. I get my own insurance policy on it. However, my sister would also like to drive the car. Can she get her own policy on the same car?

(I know that I can put her on my policy as a named driver or visa-versa, but im just wondering if you can have 2 policies on the 1 car)

Thanks

Dan.

Comments

quick answer - nope!

car can only be insured once.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Mikros

Em quinn had no problem with me in that same situation. I'm the registered owner of the car, had my own policy with another company. Sister got her own policy on the same car with quinn.

I always thought you needed to have an "insurable interest" in something to insure it, but they seemed perfectly happy with it. Even after asking the question several times..."are you suuure this is ok?" Maybe worth a try?

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭djt0607

thanx for your quick replies. so, ive got "nope" and a "well...maybe.." answers. I think Ill phone quinn direct and just tell them that my sister has a policy on the car already with hibernian and can still take my own policy out on the car. and if so...happy days.

thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Why would you want to do it in the first place? Surely it would be cheaper to just have her as a named driver?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

^Its always handy to start a ncb. And going under as a Named Driver prevents you gaining a ncb over the year. But I agree with you somewhat.

Ring up quinn and ask them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭Top Dog

R_H_C_P wrote: »
    ^Its always handy to start a ncb. And going under as a Named Driver prevents you gaining a ncb over the year. But I agree with you somewhat.
    Not always. I was a named driver on my wife's policy for 5 years, and when I went to insure a car in my own name they gave me full credit for my named driver expierence. That was with Hibernian - and still with them 3 years later and am credited with full no-claims. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭djt0607

the reason i dont want her as a named driver on my policy is that if she has a bump, its my insurance that goes through the roof and visa versa if im on her policy. whereas if we have seperate policies, if we have a bump, we only have ourselves to blame and it will only affect our respected policy.

The reason you're not supposed to be able do it is say she gets insured with one company, and you get insured with another. Then the car gets stolen, who is liable? both insurance companies can say the other is responsible.

I personally would stay as far away from Quinn as possible but that is my opinion and due to personal circumstances, if you do have even the tiniest bump, they will pay out without ever telling you and then send your insurance through the roof without you ever having to give your side of the story!!! Also, they would be the first to hang you in the above scenario, they will *may* say that you need to claim off the other insurance company...... It really sounds like you're opening yourself up for hassle by doing this.

Also, a good insurance company will not allow an accident by your sister to affect your premium....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

The reason you're not supposed to be able do it is say she gets insured with one company, and you get insured with another. Then the car gets stolen, who is liable? both insurance companies can say the other is responsible.

Also, a good insurance company will not allow an accident by your sister to affect your premium....

The sister will only have third party cover since she has no interest in the vehicle. In the event of theft it is the policy which covers theft which would be called on. In any event where there are two insurance policies covering one piece of property, the insurance companies split the liability 50/50. Often happens with houses.

The premium reflects the risks attaching to the policy including named drivers. Having a driver with a recent accident history named on the policy is going to increase the premium.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Guvnor

I personally would stay as far away from Quinn as possible

I echo the sentiments above. I find Quinn Direct the biggest shower of cnuts going - I let a policy lapse with them ages ago (car was not been driven at the time) and now every time I call up looking for a quote they are almost if not more than double the quotes I get from other CO's. Obviously I shall never, ever use them again for anything.

• Advertisement

Well when i worked in insurance you were not allowed to do this, maybe it's changed.

Yes you are right about the named driver increasing the premium, however that does not mean that the op's premium would go up directly, it would be his sis that would need to pay the difference and if he decided to get his own policy it would be on his own merits.... again, maybe this has changed.

Guvnor, if you think thats bad let me tell you my story. My husband and i were in a really bad crash, it was the other drivers fault, however the other drivers company claimed without telling us and quinn thought it easier to pay out for the minor damage to their vehicle (articulated truck), rather than be taken to court as a result, my husband only discovered that they had paid out when his renewal came in and was through the roof, as he had third party he couldn't even claim for his written off car. So, seeing as they had admitted liability anyway, i sued my husband, taking quinn for every penny I could, f*ck them! however, they have never actually told my husband that i've claimed!

anyway, sorry for going off thread there but just hate them soooo much

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

Well when i worked in insurance you were not allowed to do this, maybe it's changed.

Yes you are right about the named driver increasing the premium, however that does not mean that the op's premium would go up directly, it would be his sis that would need to pay the difference and if he decided to get his own policy it would be on his own merits.... again, maybe this has changed.

Guvnor, if you think thats bad let me tell you my story. My husband and i were in a really bad crash, it was the other drivers fault, however the other drivers company claimed without telling us and quinn thought it easier to pay out for the minor damage to their vehicle (articulated truck), rather than be taken to court as a result, my husband only discovered that they had paid out when his renewal came in and was through the roof, as he had third party he couldn't even claim for his written off car. So, seeing as they had admitted liability anyway, i sued my husband, taking quinn for every penny I could, f*ck them! however, they have never actually told my husband that i've claimed!

anyway, sorry for going off thread there but just hate them soooo much

Did you not lodge a personal injury claim at the time of the crash? You can still lodge a claim 2 yrs after incident with PIAB afaik.
    If you are thinking of moving company you will have to disclose the claim & how much was paid out, other companies will step back his bonus due to that. :o

Keith C wrote: »
    Did you not lodge a personal injury claim at the time of the crash? You can still lodge a claim 2 yrs after incident with PIAB afaik.

was years ago before the personal injuries board was in effect, and I got a good settlement, they had already admitted liability so they were fecked.
    Keith C wrote: »
    If you are thinking of moving company you will have to disclose the claim & how much was paid out, other companies will step back his bonus due to that. :o

that's the point though, how could he disclose the claim when he was never informed of it!!!

Advertisement