Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

galway docks whats going on??

Options
  • 08-10-2008 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

Does anyone know what is going on at the docks tonite?? there s helicopters and boats searching everywhere????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭galwaybabe

Just wondering the same myself. Can see the helicopter from Tirellan heights!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Was walking down Bridge St this evening and there was a lot of commotion around the walk beside the river. Happened to meet a mate of mine there who said that a lady had gone into the river. As I walked on toward Mill St I was passed by a good few guards and the fire engine wizzed passed me later on.

Does anyone know what happened, did the lady get out alive?

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭notlongleft

well i live on the docks and its all going on for the last hour right outside the window. keep shining the lights on the water everywhere - hope its not someone missing its a bit errie!

oh god i m sure it is then and that s the last thing i want to hear! poor woman. they havent found anything yet anyway! fingers crossed

• Advertisement

It appears so. Could the mods lock my thread or transfer it to this, I can't seem to do it.

The Shannon based SAR helicopter landed at the hospital at about 9.15ish, I can still hear it there now. Hopefully they got the person out of the river.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭skymacfly

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Was walking down Bridge St this evening and there was a lot of commotion around the walk beside the river. Happened to meet a mate of mine there who said that a lady had gone into the river. As I walked on toward Mill St I was passed by a good few guards and the fire engine wizzed passed me later on.

Does anyone know what happened, did the lady got out alive?

Theres another thread going on about a search in the docks coulb be conneected ..

please god she gets out alive the poor thing

Fingers crossed she's ok

well from what i can see they havent found anyone yet. Its all just gone quiet now though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    The Shannon based SAR helicopter landed at the hospital at about 9.15ish, I can still hear it there now. Hopefully they got the person out of the river.

The Sikorsky S61N did not land at the Hospital, she arrived on scene and stayed there searching. She has since returned to base at Shannon, spent well over an hour searching the area, i was down there as was alot of Claddagh residents, Fire service, Gardai.

Fingers crossed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Doesn't look good,:(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Ah christ, not again. For once i'm glad i'm not in Galway this week

Wasn't such a good outcome last Sunday night :(

Hopefully however this woman entered the water was an accident and she's OK.

Tip: For anyone who's contemplating taking their life by drowning themsleves in the river - DON'T, you have no idea the stress you can put on people

Steyr wrote: »
    The Sikorsky S61N did not land at the Hospital, she arrived on scene and stayed there searching. She has since returned to base at Shannon, spent well over an hour searching the area, i was down there as was alot of Claddagh residents, Fire service, Gardai.

Fingers crossed.

Tis some machine - The main centre spotlight is amazing, had half the river lit up last week. Only thing about shining a light from that height onto the water is that it won't penetrate, only show up anything that's on the surface. When you need the light to penetrate the water the source needs to be as close to the water as possible

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Wasn't such a good outcome last Sunday night :(

Did someone else go into the river on Sunday?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

i imagine the searchlight was for the benefit of the searchers on the ground,the chopper would be panning with the FLIR thermal camera,much easier for them to see a person with that amazing piece of kit,

hopefully she gets out ok,but with the water temp dropping due to the winter coming survival time in the water wouldn't be too long :(

punchdrunk wrote: »
    i imagine the searchlight was for the benefit of the searchers on the ground,the chopper would be panning with the FLIR thermal camera,much easier for them to see a person with that amazing piece of kit
    Fair point
    hopefully she gets out ok,but with the water temp dropping due to the winter coming survival time in the water wouldn't be too long :(
    In Ireland, September usually has the warmest water temp, I know this from scuba diving/swimming/skiing etc.... It will start to get colder over the coming weeks. From December - April, good luck, you won't last long

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

JohnCleary wrote: »
    In Ireland, September usually has the warmest water temp, I know this from scuba diving/swimming/skiing etc.... It will start to get colder over the coming weeks. From December - April, good luck, you won't last long

strange,didn't know that
    well thats good news for her,hopefully it buys the searchers more time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

is the tide in or out?
    was the inshore lifeboat there?

well the fact that the heli was there for ~hour and then returned to shannon isnt really a good sign im afraid
    in truth you only have a window of ~20-25 minutes from the time of entering the river possibly less

skelliser wrote: »
    in truth you only have a window of ~20-25 minutes from the time of entering the river possibly less

That varies a lot from person to person. Some people won't last 5 mins in the water, some people will last 5 hours etc....
    The problem with the tidal part of the Corrib is that with the agressive flow (How many weir gates are open today? I'm not in Galway so don't know) you could knock your head or an undercurrent could pull you down

The helicopter isin't necessarily 'bad news' - they can only stay in the air for so long before running out of fuel. But yes I agree, the Docks/tidal part of the Corrib is a very dangerous place where I would NOT like to be, if someone was still alive and floating after coming down the river they'd obviously be a good swimmer and would be able to swim to the shore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

The tide was on the way out, and Rescue 115 was using the lights everywhere not just for the benefit of the Galway Lifeboat, fair play to everybody involved, looks like it may be bad news though, also i noticed the FLIR ball moving but i dont know if it would do much as JC pointed out its getting cold now and the body temperature will drop rapidly in that water, also the S61N has an endruance of 4 hours airborne and EINN ( Shannon ) is only 12-15 minutes flying time in that magnificent helicopter.

• Advertisement

Never knew the response time was so little from Shannon => Galway, amazing.

I've talked to the Heli guys a few times over the VHF when co-ordinating where to shine spotlights when searching - are those guy's on Valium or something, they always sound so cool and chilled out :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I'm closing this thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement