Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Where to buy Automatic Micra

Options
  • 08-10-2008 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭

hi.

i am learning to drive and am interested in learning in an automatic. So, ive been scouring the internet for a cheap,but reasonably good automatic car (preferably and automatic micra-small&good). Does anyone know where i can get a cheap (€500-€1,000) automatic micra?

thanx.

dan.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

If you sit your test in an automatic car you will be restricted to driving only automatic cars. I'd always recommend people doing their test in a manual, as with a no restricted license(manual transmission) you can drive either manual or automatic cars.
    And as for your car choice, i'd agree with the micra auto:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

when i was learning to drive i was so sick of cutting out i was considering gettin an automatic car,but as alanstrainor said this will restrict you to an automatic car on your licence,and theres way more manual cars around,just be patient and dont kill the clutch,maybe a manual micra?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Newsflash - learning to drive is a skill that must be learned!

It can take a while to master clutch control, don't just give up and decide you're going to do your test in an auto and be restricted to driving automatics forever!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,321 ✭✭✭✭Esel

+1 on passing the test in a manual. Then get an auto. Autos are great, but I wouldn't want to be limited to them.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

autos are only for yanks who cant shift gears or immobile people of 70 years +

:eek:

• Advertisement

You'll learn....

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

autos are only for yanks who cant shift gears or immobile people of 70 years +

I have to agree here.

So will you....

Not your ornery onager

I'm sure you would get this Micra cheaper than the asking price.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

You'd be better off sticking with manual now as you never know when you may want one or be in a position to drive one (driving friends/family cars etc that you'd be insured on if it was a manual). For the little bit extra patience now, you'll save yourself an awful lot of hassle in the future (having to sit manual test and learn eventually etc). Just stick with it and you'll pick it up soon enough, good luck :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

If I could avoid manuals for the rest of my days I gladly would.

I'm really sorry I sold the only auto car I've owned and will be back in one as soon as possible. Never had much interest in autos before I owned one, now I dont want to drive anything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

I'm looking for a new car at the moment, and I would love an automatic, as most of my driving is in heavy traffic and I'm sick of sitting on the clutch all the time. But there does seem to be this pooh-poohing of automatic cars by loads of the lads I know, but when I ask them why, they don't seem to be able to explain :) So what's the story? I'm worried there's some fact like "Automatic cars make your teeth fall out" that everyone but me seems to know! is it just because there's less "skill" involved in driving them?

The lads you know have not outgrown their e-penis complex.

Not your ornery onager

I love my automatic so much, I could never go back to a manual.

OP I bought my mam a 97 import micra last year for €1500 through carzone, surely that price would have dropped by now seeing as we're in a flippin recession. Also, I was told at the time, contact local dealers, and tell them what you're looking for, if they get one traded in, they will give you a call rather than sell it on within the trade.

I would have to agree with doing your test in a manual first though, my mam did hers in her auto so now she can't drive my dads car - oops.

Advertisement