Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

your thoughts?

Options
  • 08-10-2008 11:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭

hey guys,well im seriously thinking about going to dit to study electronic and computer systems but am a bit worried.
    IM quite good at school in general and am really into computers and electronic stuff. im not sure weather to do this course to get into electrical/electronic engineering. i dont do honours maths but will hopefully get an A or B in the LC. Is engineering very maths dependant?
    maybe i should just do computing instead! im confused!!::rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭experiMental

Engineering is VERY maths dependent, in case of electrical engineering you'll have to know algebra beyond leaving cert honours-level, matrices, calculus, three-dimensional analytical geometry, etc.

Computer Science is also maths dependent, in fact, treat computing as an applied maths subject.

I don't know about IT, it may be a lot less maths dependent than computer science or electronic engineering.

Unfortunately, I can't tell you the subject requirements for courses in that area, but bear in mind that a large part of these ourses' lectures may sometimes be backed up by a mathematical theory.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭rockmongrel

So far, maths hasn't been too important for computer science, its mainly been logical thinking and that horrifying personal development ****. But i've only been doing the course for a few though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

So far, maths hasn't been too important for computer science, its mainly been logical thinking and that horrifying personal development ****. But i've only been doing the course for a few though :D

When do you develop into a person? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭rockmongrel

I think I have to pass the class. I wonder what happens to me if i fail...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭ooPabsoo

loll im reallly thinking of going for computing over computer science

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

dude, i seriously recommend reading through this thread that happened while back.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055298993

it covers pretty much everything you'll need to about computer science.

it's just a pity there isn't - not that i'm aware of - other threads on the other subjects you mention e.g. computing and elec. and comp. systems.

also don't make the same mistake i did and think that computing is a lower course than computer science, they are both held in great regard in industry especially what i heard from when i was out on work placement. computing would be a more physical hands on course e.g. for networking topics you'll actually use hardware do theory and coding whereas in computer science networking is all theory and coding.

anything you want to ask about the course that isn't covered in that thread, just ask, we are all here to help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭ooPabsoo

cheers cremo,making the noobs on boards welcome!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 30d1a

did 089 myself ..

you dont need honours maths and ordinary will do although honors maths would be an advantage , but everythin will be introduced again , and explained, i only saw matrices for the first tme in 3rd year , and its on the leaving cert honors course

if you handy enough wit maths and pay attention in class you'll piss all over 1st year maths modules and most of 2nd year... along with the adjecent modules which will branch over into maths (digital electronics using boolean algebra etc.. or electrical theory using complex numbers etc...)

I did ordinary , an was grand with the maths , lecturers are fairly decent so if you listen you'll be fine

1st year , although some parts is a lot of maths you'll hav at least 2 hours lab time for majority of subjects to back up the theory with practical workings of it ...

whats funny is everyone goes in worried about maths when an awful lot of people hav more trouble with the physics module moreso than the electrical and electronic theory etc...

Advertisement