Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online.ie RIP

Options
  • 08-10-2008 11:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭

Anyone else with online.ie?

I chose it in the first place because I could use my real name without any numbers, but now I have a month before I have to migrate to google mail.

I was planning on a change anyway as online.ie was always a PITA.

Is anyone else here in the same situation?

Will I be able to keep my exact online.ie email address?

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

womoma wrote: »

Will I be able to keep my exact online.ie email address?

I was wondering this too, have emailed them and awaiting reply, will let you know, hopefully!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

Well, here's the reply.

"Hi,

Your email will remain unchanged. You will still be able to access your email and send
    and receive emails from your online.ie email account. Please read the email notice and
    give permission to migrate your email if you still wish to retain your online.ie email.

Kind regards,

Online.ie"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

Cheers.

Anyone know is it possible to log in from the gmail home page?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Hi folks,

Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but it seems that the online.ie 'address' is being phased out completely by google.

Back in the day I migrated my account to google but I was allowed to keep the old address as it was, but it now seems that I'll have to change my email address from xyz@online.ie to xyz@google.com (and maybe even change the address 'name' if it's already in use) or lose the whole lot.

Can anyone recommend a good alternative to GMail? Even better, can anyone recommend a reputable free personalised email provider? If I can, I'd like to keep my address as it is...

This is the email I got from Online.ie today, in case it affects other people too:

"Dear Online.ie mail users,

We have been notified by our parent email host provider that email hosting services for Online.ie is being phased out. This decision is part of a change in their business model that has affected Online.ie and many other internet service providing companies as well. Over the past few months the Online.ie management team has evaluated many possible solutions to this problem and has concluded that the best solution is to discontinue hosting the @online.ie email accounts. For this reason, we regret to inform you that on May 15th, 2015 (15/5/2015) Online.ie will no longer provide email hosting services to our customers.

What This Means to You
    Your email account (@online.ie) is closing on May 15th, 2015. After this date, you will no longer have access to this account nor will you be able to send or receive email with this account. In addition, if your online.ie account is connected to any of the Google products or services listed in this message, action is required from you.

What You'll Need to Do
    Please read through the list carefully because from May 15th, 2015 onward, all of your personal data (such as purchases, balances, documents, history, etc...) associated with the products or services listed here will be deleted and unrecoverable. Use Google Dashboard to view the list of products and services associated with your account.

3D Warehouse
    AdSense
    AdWords
    Analytics
    App Engine
    Blogger
    Calendar
    Contacts (Export and import)
    Chrome Sync
    Drive (For Google Documents, Spreadsheets, Presentations, and Forms)
    FeedBurner
    Finance: Export and Import
    Google Play Store
    Google Play for Developers
    Google Wallet
    Maps: My Maps
    Merchant Center
    Picasa Web Albums
    Places (bulk upload)
    Sites
    Voice
    Webmaster Tools
    YouTube

You must migrate your data before May 15th, 2015. To learn about your migration options and how to save your data, please visit the Transition Resource Center.

We regret any inconvenience this may cause, and thank you for your business. If you have any questions, please visit the Transition Resource Center or contact feedback@online.ie.

Yours sincerely,

Online.ie"

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

They are dropping the @online.ie domain for mail hosting. Which means you have no option but to change.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I figured that much, but I was also wondering if anyone knew of a reputable free 'personalisable/personalised' email provider where I'd be allowed to choose my entire email address and where could create a new xyz@online.ie address. I know that what I said isn't technical in the least, but I hope it still makes some sense. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,635 ✭✭✭✭28064212

New Home wrote: »
    I figured that much, but I was also wondering if anyone knew of a reputable free 'personalisable/personalised' email provider where I'd be allowed to choose my entire email address and where could create a new xyz@online.ie address.
    No. The portion of an email address after @ is controlled by the owner of the domain e.g. you can only have an "@boards.ie" address if the owner of boards.ie allows you to. The only way you can keep your xyz@online.ie address is if you were to buy the online.ie domain name (could be thousands of euro, assuming the owner even wants to sell).

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

Ah well, there goes my magnificent plan. Gmail it is, then. Thanks for that, folks.

I've used online.ie for 10 year. Absolutely gutted about this.

It's going to be a huge inconvenience killing off my online.ie email and migrating to a brand new gmail. Hours, if not days of work.

Banking, Paypal, dozens of forums, various websites, website hosting, various customer care exchanges, dozens of software registrations, Apple ID, copious business correspondence ... the list goes on and on ....

Completely freaked out. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Had the same deal when o2 pulled the plug. Just waiting for the day eircom do a UTV and nuke theirs, so many people use that.

GMails spying on you is a pain, but it has the critical mass that makes it very hard to shut down, so its really a no brainer (also have my own domain, which google manages the mail for :pac: ).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

jesus, online.ie, that's a blast from the past. remember rondomondo?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

I never realised how many accounts I used my online.ie email address for until now. Going to take ages to track down and change :(

Anyone else here having trouble 'migrating' and 'importing' their messages/contacts/etc into their new address? Any tips? Thanks.

And yes, it is ABSOLUTELY a pain in the neck.

Hi folks, considering online.ie's untimely demise, can anyone please suggest an alternative Irish domain? I'd rather not go with google, given the chance.

Advertisement