Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a start-up gaming rig...

Options
  • 08-10-2008 11:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

Hey guys im thinking of buying a start-up gaming rig, not aiming for anything major right now and not really upto building everything together from scratch, i mainly use a macbook pro for the majority of my work.

I'll be feeding it through my tv with a max res of 1366x768 so performance wont need to be incredible. Just looking to be ready for RA3, starcraft and maybe diablo 3, possibly try some crysis if i can...

Im just looking for something that will well for now and i can add bits here and there as the years go by, i spotted a nice entry-level rig on alienware.ie for bout 850 euro, wanted to ask you guys how it will do...

http://www.alienware.co.uk/configurator_pages/aurora_r5.aspx?SysCode=PC-EU-AURORA-R5&SubCode=SKU-DEFAULT

or do you think ill do better buying from somewhere else? better starting with a proper intel extreme processor?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Intel processors generally offer better bang for your buck but you definitely don't need an extreme processor. A half decent dual core, p35/p45 motherboard, 4GBs ddr2 (ram is so cheap you'd be daft not to go with 4GBs), 9600gt/8800gt and a 450w power supply should do do you fine and won't break the bank. I wouldn't buy from alienware as they are rediculously overpriced.

Hardwareversand.de are quite popular around here at that moment so I would give them a look. They have a pc builder on their site which is handy and for an extra €20 they will build it for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Companion Cube

From a support and delivery standpoint i would really like to order from within ireland, komplett.ie any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭alansweeney100

Why not a self build? Why are u not 'upto building everything together from scratch'
    Its easy, cheaper, you can build it exactly the way you want and you'll have help from the good people on boards.ie

Advertisement