Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

porcelain/china/pottery marks please

• 08-10-2008 11:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

I have a platter, and its driving me mad trying to find out what it is..
    Decorated with transfer printed border with the Scottish thistle, english rose and irish shamrock, no marks on the base except a number 5.
    Lots of true age, Any ideas anyone?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭ODD-JOB

Ok ,...I can tell you more , but ill need to see an image if possible !!
    is it blue and white ?..... or various colours included ?
    What shape ? Quality of transfer print etc will all have a bearing on the value.

Im thinking it is probably a Staffordshire meat dish, made of earthenware or ironstone. This type of ware was really brought into fashion from 1820/1830 or so with the rise in popularity of Mason's factory, with a whole host of other factories quickly establishing a production line of similar tableware and designs !

There was a desire for people to have something much more durable and long lasting than the expensive porcelain from the 18th century,... and it followed on from the creamware and pearl ware examples of the early 19th century.
    18th c english china was more decorative than durable , and this ironstone was a perfect replacement. Huge quantities of dinner services were made between 1830-1900 , and yours willl be in that category.

To narrow it down , we will need to see an image !
    he number " 5 " impressed under the glaze on the base of the platter will probably be a design number, and never really give tooo much helpful info as the patterns are difficult to track down unless you know exactly which factory of origin.

Also , the platters came in a set of maybe 6 or more examples , each of graduating size , and not always do you find the factory stamp on each and every single piece.
    The main platter is the resevoir meat dish , which is the largest of the set , and probably the piece bearing the factory stamp.

As family's split over the years , sets were divided and single decorative dishes are scattered amongst various strains of relatives etc.

Hope this is of help , and look forward to seeing the image if possible !

Also look out for a victorian registration mark , which may be impressed on the underside of the dish ! it should look something like this :reg-no-1852.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 glynngo

i cant find any info on makers marks that begin with numbers.
    its particularly the design that interests me, the 3 emblems.
    i am familiar with the victorian registration marks but there is nothing else on but the number 5.
    1601q40.jpg

sxn6sy.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭ODD-JOB

Looks like a piece of Belleek earthenware ??
    Its hard to know unless you happen to cross another example of similar pattern/body.

Belleek would have produced similar wares in their first period , 1863 - 1890.
    They also used green 1st period marks on occasions, on a fully glazed underside.

If not , it's from one of the Staffordshire or surrounding factories I'd say...
    Sorry , im not of much help here !!!

Advertisement