Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arggh! Caught in the loop

Options
  • 09-10-2008 1:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭

So, the usual tough day at the office (ehh, not really!) and I'm ready to head home at 5:45.

I unlock my bike from the rack and start to wheel it away. It catches on the bike behind it, but I can't see where.

A quick glance down at the wheel and I see the following:

photo0014ib2.jpg
    w800.png

The guy with the purple bridgestone bike had looped his cable lock through his front wheel AND my back wheel. I was trapped, cold and wanted to go home.

Anyway, I waited for a half hour, some of my friends came out and were disgusted/laughing and so forth. One suggested it could be some guy looking to come back and nick the bike later (my dispatch, from the wiki gallery) which raised my paranoia level to "Howard Hughes". I decided to wait around a bit longer and see if anyone showed up, not wanting to ditch the bike for the night.

After some more time had elapsed, my patience was wafer thin and about to crack. I went to services to see if they could perhaps cut the lock (yeah i know, maybe not fair to the other chap, but I was quite annoyed now!) but no joy. So, luckily I had the track nut removal tool and took the bike sans back wheel to my office, leaving the wheel and a note with my number fixed to the bike.

I managed to get a lift home, at 7:30 that evening. Its now 1:30 am and I have received no word from the other bike owner. If its still there tmw, I'm going to take a pair of bolt cutters to it. I needs my bike I tells ya!

So, rant over and a plea to the hurried commuter: take the extra 15 seconds to make sure only YOUR bike is secured to the rack and save someone else a whole boat load of hassle.

P.S. If anyone is offering a crossbar into UCD tmw (today), i'll gladly take it!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,390 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

UCD students eh?

Wouldn't happen in Trinners :pac::pac::pac:

Seriously tho, what a dumbass is that guy.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭randomname2005

I have heard of this happening before where it was done deliberately. Somebody, person 'scumbag' deliberately locked a bike to that of another person 'innocent victim'. During the night, Mr. Scumbag came back, unlocked his bike, cut Mr Innocent Victim's lock, and left with the two bikes. Mr Innocent Victim came back to find only his lock where his bike had been.

At least you managed to get most of your bike out of the lock.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Yeah one of the lads described a situation like that exactly! I had never heard of anything like that before but sure its a funny old world.

Yeah, UCD supercell, not a nice place for bikes :(. Worst part was the services guy trying to convince me that the bike would be fine and it would be hard for someone to steal it with all the security around. In 2 hours, one casual patrol of chatting chaps passed me by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

Someone did that to me a while back in town, locked their POS bike through my frame with a POS lock. I was in no mood to wait around for the POS to come back so I went round to the nearest bike shop and borrowed a set of wire cutters and was away.. I was hardly going to leave my bike unattended on a street in town.

Never happened to me in UCD though, I've had remarkably good luck there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

look on the bright side at least its not the ridley

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Killgore Trout

Not fair on the other chap? F**k him - chop his lock off!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

The question is -is your wheel there today!?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

:confused:
    Don't leave us hanging buddy.

Well?......

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

I doubt we'll find out for a while -he's a student after all isn't he -they don't get out of bed till mid afternoon :p (yes, I'm jealous!)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

The question is -is your wheel there today!?

Yes, I hope you left your wheel locked :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Haha, you guys are jerks! Yes, I'm awake now.

Got a txt from the chap apologising and saying the wheel is unlocked (don't worry, I locked it also!).

Still, I'm glad I didn't hang around all night!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Got a txt from the chap apologising and saying the wheel is unlocked

Tell him to lay off the weed for a few weeks until all his faculties are functioning again.

:D

Advertisement