Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Affordabe Housing Steps

Options
  • 09-10-2008 8:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

I heard from my LA yesterday that they are making a provisional offer of an affordable house to me. The letter will be sent late this week or early next. I have searched the web and have trouble finding out information on what exactly happens next. As I am a first time buyer I know what the basic steps are in the purchase process but would appreciate it if you could expand on this especially in relation to affordable housing.
    What should I be doing to speed up the process?
    How long does it normally (if there is such a thing) take to get keys in hand?
    The council constructed these houses so no developer involved.
    Please assist if you can!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

Is this site any use?

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭daisling

That is helpful if not a bit worrying. I have been waiting on the list for 20 months now and was considering moving jobs. Should I stay where I am or move? will it affect my ability to get a mortgage if I move? I have just gotten my job to fill in the forms for the mortgage could I move jobs and not tell the bank and council?

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭jackal

Some information on AHP here. Have a read before you go.

http://www.irishhometruths.com/node/38

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

daisling wrote: »
    could I move jobs and not tell the bank and council?

I think you have to get a document from your employer confirming how long you've worked there.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Dandelion6 wrote: »
    I think you have to get a document from your employer confirming how long you've worked there.
    Yes, that's correct.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭daisling

I have all the documents just filled out this week by employer. But do the banks ring or write to your employer

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭sadie9

I'd tell them the truth if I was you if it comes up, but it may not be an issue depending on how long the process takes. Go ahead and do the job move if the time is right for that. The job move may take longer than you think and the affordable housing may take longer than you think. So just plough ahead with both and don't make one contingent on the other. People move jobs all the time, as long as you have a good steady previous work history and it's not a temporary contract you are moving to it should be okay, even if you are on a probationary period. Like if you have moved jobs 3 times in the last year or something it'd be a problem...A normal house buying will take about at the VERY minimum 8 weeks and more likely 12 weeks. I don't think the bank checks with your employer (as it'll be you who will be liable when can't pay your mortgage!!), and you sign the form to declare it's all true.

Advertisement